Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Confessions  (Read 54158 times)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« on: December 07, 2012, 07:38:39 AM »
+1
I'm being a copycat and I stole this topic idea from the Chapel. It's really easy: be a hipster and post your opinions about Castlevania that you consider to be unusual and/or unpopular. The goal is to tank as much disrespect points as possible! Ready, set, go! 

• I think Castlevania's best outing in 3D up until now (as far as the look, atmosphere, feel etc. is concerned) is... The Arcade. If there is ever a 3D Castlevania game that could conjure the feel of that game, I could die happy.
  • I think Dracula-kun should get reintroduced and become a mascot of some sorts. Just like Jack Frost from the MegaTen games.
  • I think you're crazy if you don't realise a Castlevania fighting game has so much potential that it would be a crime not to explore that concept any further with the Castlevania series.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 07:47:45 AM »
+1
hohoho I think St. Germain was a great addition to the Castlevania series
Out of my massive collection of all things Castlevania, I still don't own a copy of Legacy of Darkness
I feel Legends gameplay is better than The Adventure
i acquired a whole bunch of SotN handhelds (sealed & unsealed) for no reason
i have never read Bram Stoker's Dracula (does this count?)
when I play through Symphony, I intentionally skip the Power/Level-Ups just to make the game a lil more challenging
I bought Encore of the Night
i wish I had a life-size replica of the Combat Cross

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 07:57:22 AM »
I have never played the original Gameboy Castlevania's.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 08:46:15 AM »
I still haven't finished Rebirth.  I can't get past that damn clocktower stage.

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 09:10:54 AM »
I thought PoR was the best of the DS outings (or at least I had the most fun playing it)

I think Lords of Shadows is the best CV since Aria of Sorrow

I'm glad Kojima was able to break away from the CV franchise, I felt the series was stifling her skills and creativity

I think IGA is an OK dude, not overrated or god-like, just OK

I also wished Konami made a FPW (first person whipping!) interpretation of CV like Nintendo did with Metroid Prime...  :-[

(click to show/hide)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 10:10:09 AM »
hohoho I think St. Germain was a great addition to the Castlevania series
if only IGA explored his own fucking concepts any further than the one game and possibly Judgement...
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 12:05:25 PM »
I liked Legends over both The Adventure and Belmont's Revenge in nearly every aspect.

The combat cross is really interesting and cool, even if it is not "the Vampire Killer". In fact, my only gripe about it is that it was not called the Vampire Killer from the outset.

Judgement had fairly good gameplay, despite a few flaws and quirks. The comboing system felt nice, and you could even cancel chain using a subweapon to extend the combo. The supers and targeting needed changes though. You should also have been able to dodge roll out of combos or something too. It was a step in the right direction though, as far as 3D combat was concerned and I would have liked to see another game like LoI with this combat system put in and refined more.

Lords of Shadow has beautiful environments with good level design. Note, level design doesn't mean game play mechanics. I don't like slow shimmying, but the level designers make great layouts for what they had to work with.

Lords of Shadow's combat was fairly decent once you got use to it. Could have been way better though.

I think Bloodlines is a pretty shitty game, with sloppy animations and graphics, retarded level aesthetics, and at every corner some complete moron decided "hey you know what would be cool if we did ___________" and each time it was the worst idea ever. It looked horribly unrefined, ill planned, poorly implemented, and never polished. The music was it's only savings grace, but even then you can't enjoy it because the sound design (sound effects and such, not music) were so terrible, and ear piercing (partially to blame is the Genesis sound chip). I've played it, beaten it, and I will never touch it again. Super Castlevania IV was so great, and so far ahead of this crap, that it's a shame.

KCEK is a terrible development group, at least for Castlevania, and as evidence is responsible for the N64 travesties as well as the shitty port of SotN for Satun if I am not mistaken. Their incompetence knows no limits. Circle of the Moon came out pretty good though, but you can still see traces of their usual retarded flair in there. Did they do Bloodlines too? Or perhaps the same people from Bloodlines worked on the others mentioned here? Because it feels really similar, especially in how awful it is.

Sonja Belmont doesn't exist in the canon, and that fact doesn't bother me at all.

I think IGA was improving very much with Order of Ecclesia as evidence, and if I had my way LoS would be erased from existence so I could see what he would do for the next title.

IGA is not sexist. Deal with it.

Uhhh... I hate all of you. Or something. I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 01:27:46 PM »
+2
I'm going to write what I wrote of the chapel with some extra stuff.

I wouldn't mind naming a kid Richter
I'm not a huge fan of any non Belmont character
OoE is probably my least favorite CV game.
I was originally excited about LoS... until I found out what happens in it
I Belmont pimp strut across cross walks
I'm currently playing a Paladin in D&D whose name is Belmont and he uses a whip.
I originally thought the whip was lame
I actually liked Judgment and wouldn't mind a sequel but I'm pretty sure it won't happen.
The 64 games are some of the best CV games out there. I only wish the main guy was named Belmont.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 06:25:29 PM by GuyStarwind »

Offline sannyclause

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 03:13:56 PM »
HO HO HO i think LOS is the best 3d castlevania in existence.
im bummed that we wont get to see more of the los universe after next year  :'(
adding satan to the mix adds a unique twist
judgement was trash, poor camera, bad control scheme, didnt like the art direction either

and thats it, hope everyones christmas is a merry one  :)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 03:47:09 PM »
cannot think right now but when my mind is clear I'll state them
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 04:21:49 PM »
+1
LoS is my second favorite CV, next to Dracula's Curse ( yes better than SotN)

I don't care for Circle of the Moon or Harmony of Dissonance much, they're my least favs

I loveRondo of Blood but feel somewhat embarrassed playing it because of the anime cutscenes

64 is one of my top 5 CV games and I think it does a great job making classicvanias in 3D

When my wife is feeling down or needs a laugh I sometimes recite the entire cheesy dialogue of Richter and Dracula to make her laugh. She's never played it but loves when I do because of that.
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline SiFi270

• The Red Cyclone
  • Hunter in Training
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2209069/SiFi270
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 04:51:19 PM »
I refuse to acknowledge Lament of Innocence as canon. For me, Dracula was Vlad the Impaler before he became a vampire. Nobody else.

Because of this, Legends totally happened for me. Belmonts and Draculas are related by blood.
Pfft. Like anything's ever going here

Offline Kusanagi

• Vampire Hunter
  • Not even the legend of Belmont can withstand time
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania Confessions
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 07:19:21 PM »
Castlevania Harmony of Despair has probably become my most played CV, and pretty much my favorite of the series.

Didn't think Judgement was too bad a game either; still think Aeon could stand to be in another game, and the art direction wasn't too bad in my opinion.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 07:28:56 PM »
+1
I confess I didn't like LoS 'til the 4th chapter.
I confess those "Ho HO HO" posts make me chuckle anytime  :D

Everything comes full circle

Offline SerenityinFire

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 07:40:13 PM »
Aria of Sorrow is probably my favorite Castlevania, more so that Symphony.

Dawn of Sorrow was a huge disappointment.  It just seems like everything was slapped together at the last minute.  Sound design was shit too.

Simon is my favorite Belmont, followed by Richter.

It is my true belief that, in fact, there is a penis drawn on the dead naked werewolf guy from Rondo onwards.

Lament of Innocense has an interesting storyline, but it shouldn't be considered cannon.  I feel there needs to be a more compelling story behind the creation of the Vampire Killer and the link between the Belmonts and Dracula. 

I'm pretty sure the art director for Judgment is very much into Sadomasochism. 

Tags: