Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Anniversary Collection Incoming?  (Read 53046 times)

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: Castlevania Anniversary Collection Incoming?
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2019, 10:31:33 AM »
yeah i was wondering if Simon’s Quest might be added to an rpg-elements collection myself.  I’d love it if Vampire Killer got lumped in with Simon’s Quest, whatever collection it might go in.

I think it's fair to assume it's probably not gonna be a part of the first collection as it seems themed on Classicvania. Simon's Quest fits more of the Igavania model, so they'll probably prop it in there.

My guesses on the collections...

First Collection:
- Castlevania
- Dracula's Curse
- Belmont's Revenge
- Super Castlevania IV
- Bloodlines
- Adventure ReBirth
- Rondo of Blood OR Dracula X
- Akumajo Dracula x86000/Chronicles OR Kid Dracula

Second Collection:
- Symphony of the Night
- Simon's Quest
- Circle of the Moon
- Harmony of Dissonance
- Aria of Sorrow
- Dawn of Sorrow
- Portrait of Ruin
- Order of Ecclesia

If Rondo is in, SotN will be in the second collection. If one is missing, I will bet on the other is missing due to the Requiem duology. This being on PS4 makes that collection very questionable in regards to these two.

Additionally, assuming they decide to include the DS games, I imagine these will be hacked versions that remove the second screen functionality and make the select button pause the game for the map. Additionally, they will just code Soma's ability to break ice to melee weapons like Julius can, and remove the drawing of seals, both of which exist in a romhack for the game. This shows it's not a nightmare or beyond the realm of possibility.

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2019, 10:47:40 AM »
Definitely. And it's a much more accessible and playable version than The Castlevania Adventure, which could teach Dark Souls a thing or two about crushing difficulty.

I don't know, it wasn't that hard, mind you nor was the last boss Castlevania: Dracula X. but that's seem to do the rounds of hardest bosses... for some reason. 

As for me I think it'll go

Castlevania, then two and three 100%. and the GBA and DS games.

as for any others  hard to say, id love to see Vampire Killer (bloodlines) on there, and the both ps2 games would be great.
Last son of family Belmont.

https://thebelmonthold.home.blog/

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2019, 02:38:57 PM »
+1
Second Collection:
- Symphony of the Night
- Simon's Quest
- Circle of the Moon
- Harmony of Dissonance
- Aria of Sorrow
- Dawn of Sorrow
- Portrait of Ruin
- Order of Ecclesia

I'd buy the fuck out of that in a heartbeat.

Offline Jazz Paladin Productions

• Vampire Hunter
  • I was summoned here to pay tribute
    • Jazz Paladin On Facebook
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2019, 03:54:00 PM »
I don't know, it wasn't that hard, mind you nor was the last boss Castlevania: Dracula X. but that's seem to do the rounds of hardest bosses... for some reason. 

Considering there weren't a lot of Castlevania games I could beat in 5th grade when it came out, I'd say say Castlevania : The Adventure ain't so bad , difficulty wise, as I did manage to complete it back then. Sure, dracula and stage 3 took me a while to beat, but truth be told, the worst enemy in the game is the annoying fall-flat-like-a-rock-after-jumping Belmont character...

Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2019, 06:39:55 PM »
Considering there weren't a lot of Castlevania games I could beat in 5th grade when it came out, I'd say say Castlevania : The Adventure ain't so bad , difficulty wise, as I did manage to complete it back then. Sure, dracula and stage 3 took me a while to beat, but truth be told, the worst enemy in the game is the annoying fall-flat-like-a-rock-after-jumping Belmont character...
Thats the thing No Cv has ever given me a hard time. Like CV3's so called "Hard mode" nothing stopping the Vampire Killer whip.
But the Adventure is one of the more easer CV games TBH.

Like LOI's crazy mode and the forgotten one. everyone's like
 "Ohh use the ice whip" 
and I'm  buggerd if I'm using the bloody ice whip.  I just got the Vampire Killer bane of the night. and no shocker  I beat him no prob.  I mean is that just me, but he's not that hard.

Like I said nothing stopping the Vampire Killer whip.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 06:47:52 PM by Guy Belmont »

Offline Succubus

• Head Priestess of the Monkey Cult
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2019, 06:05:23 AM »
If there's a second collection with SotN-style games, I would bet money that it would have fewer games than the collection with the classic-style games. There's no way they're gonna value more recent and much longer games the same as short NES and Game Boy games.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2019, 11:09:39 PM »
if they’re gonna keep making castlevania collections, i’ll take a Pachislot collection haha.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2019, 11:57:42 PM »
If it turns out to be true, can't say I agree with SQ being put on a separate collection with the Metroidvanias. It's exploration-based, sure, but I associate SOTN with floaty controls. In that respect, SQ plays much more like the other NES games. It'd be weird to not be included in the first collection, but it looks like that's how it'll be.

Since a complete Castlevania collection isn't possible, apparently, it would have been nice to have all the classic games on one collection (including the N64 titles), and the Metroidvanias on another. Nice and simple. Package it up with two discs on PS4 like Capcom did with the Mega Man X games.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:59:58 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2019, 02:52:33 AM »
Simon's Quest would fit better in a "Action RPG/Action-Adventure" collection than in a classic or metroidvania collection. They could throw Vampire Killer as well as other games of its type like Maze of Galious, Treasure of Usas, Goonies 2, etc. Konami has plenty of those kinds of games in their library.

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2019, 08:16:17 AM »
Simon's Quest would fit better in a "Action RPG/Action-Adventure" collection than in a classic or metroidvania collection. They could throw Vampire Killer as well as other games of its type like Maze of Galious, Treasure of Usas, Goonies 2, etc. Konami has plenty of those kinds of games in their library.
I disagree 110%, SQ really feels like a metroidvania, I've just finished replaying. so id say it fits in with the MV really well as it has all the tropes. I mean at the time it felt very much like Metroid. But just not in space, so id count it.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2019, 09:43:00 AM »
Simon's Quests and the later metroidvanias are similar in the sense that they're both nonlinear games. I understand if that's the logic for including it in a metroidvania collection, but that's ignoring the execution is completely different. All the 2D metroidvanias have a very specific formula that they all follow (with the occasional gimmick to prevent them from becoming stale), so it makes sense to have them all together. I'm not saying you can't justify including Simon's Quest but don't tell it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb. 

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2019, 09:53:55 AM »
Simon's Quests and the later metroidvanias are similar in the sense that they're both nonlinear games. I understand if that's the logic for including it in a metroidvania collection, but that's ignoring the execution is completely different. All the 2D metroidvanias have a very specific formula that they all follow (with the occasional gimmick to prevent them from becoming stale), so it makes sense to have them all together. I'm not saying you can't justify including Simon's Quest but don't tell it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb.
well no not really, as SQ really does follow that same  formula.

You explore, you get somewhere you can't get past, you then  need to back track to find the relic that is needed to pass, you then get to the boss, the boss gives you a relic that powers you up.  you even level up in it.

Those are very things that come to mind when you play an MV, right down to the core gameplay.

Sooo no, it fits perfectly, it may be a bit old school,  but no it really doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 09:59:39 AM by Guy Belmont »

Offline Succubus

• Head Priestess of the Monkey Cult
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2019, 10:11:36 AM »
Simon's Quest has never felt like Metroid to me, not in the 80s and not now, outside of the commonality of them both being side-scrolling adventure games. But if that condition is all it takes, then you could lump games like Zelda 2, Battle of Olympus, and Faxanadu in there, and suggesting those are like Metroid is just... no.

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2019, 10:52:48 AM »
Simon's Quest has never felt like Metroid to me, not in the 80s and not now, outside of the commonality of them both being side-scrolling adventure games. But if that condition is all it takes, then you could lump games like Zelda 2, Battle of Olympus, and Faxanadu in there, and suggesting those are like Metroid is just... no.

Well that's your view but seeing as SQ and Metroid have been compared for years and one can see why as they follow that same  formula. its not just them both being side-scrolling adventure games, if you look closey you'll see there the same.

Both have a large interconnected map, Not all parts of the map are available.  so the player needs to hunt down the needed items to pass the area that is blocked off and move on this will require back tracking till said item is found, often the boss will be guarding this item.

Sort of something like this.

so you can't get passed a room, you then look round and then find a boss room.
 after beating the boss you find a power up but it can't help, your pissed like " oh come on"
but then you remember a room that needs the very power up you got from the boss, so you go there and then use said item.
then you find the item that you needed, so then you back track to the room and bobs your uncle your passed it.

that happens in both SQ and metroid.  and every other  MV.
as i said there almost identical in  gameplay, there are some diffs but aside from that almost identical
soo... yes.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 11:01:47 AM by Guy Belmont »

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2019, 12:07:26 PM »
To chime in I agree that Simon's quest did feel like a castlevania version of the NES metroid game when I first played it so I disagree with notion of it not feeling like a metroid/metroidvania game completely, it should fit right in should they include it within a collection of other metroidvania games in my opinion although of course since it was the first and oldest and made with a different style in mind it will definitely feel "dated" compared to the others but the same applies between the gap quality and graphics with say a Castlevania 1 to Adventure Rebirth but that still does not take away that at their core they are both classicvanias and the same would apply to Simon's Quest and the other metroidvanias.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Tags: