Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Where does “Rondo” come from?  (Read 5510 times)

Offline whipsmemory

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« on: July 26, 2019, 04:03:39 PM »
So I know the literal translation for PCE Dracula x would be something along the lines of “Reincarnation of Blood” or “Samsara of Blood”, I read about “Transmigration of Blood” as well somewhere. All of these literal translations hold a deeply philosophical meaning, but I can’t seem to find any non-Castlevania related translation translating the kanji into Rondo, which, as far as I am aware, being a foreign word would in fact be translated in Japanese in Katakana charter rather than kanji. So I was wondering if there’s any source from back in the days when the games launched claiming the translated title was actually meant to have the musical reference and be translated as “ Rondo”, or did somehow Konami came up with it to fit with the trend started with Sotn and the GBA games? It’s probably irrelevant but I’ve been thinking about it quite a bit lately so yeah I thought about asking here

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 05:05:42 PM »
I don't know Japanese, but I believe the furigana indicates it's to be pronounced Rondo. I didn't know that was a musical term until a few years ago; I always just thought Konami chose it as a cool alternative to the word Circle.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline whipsmemory

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 11:12:39 PM »
I don't know Japanese, but I believe the furigana indicates it's to be pronounced Rondo. I didn't know that was a musical term until a few years ago; I always just thought Konami chose it as a cool alternative to the word Circle.

I see, that may be the case, didn’t think about that

update:

In fact yes, i went for a closeup look at the title in the Cover, between the characters 輪 and 廻 actually theres a kana translation as  ロンド, never noticed that before ahaha, how silly of me.

Yet is funny to notice how magazines and even the japanese guidebook translates it more literally as Reincarnation

IMG
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I think i kind of prefer it over Rondo tbh
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 05:14:27 AM by whipsmemory »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 10:27:17 PM »
+1
Maybe "Reincarnation" is a placeholder title, much like movies during production.

Offline whipsmemory

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 12:30:45 AM »
Maybe "Reincarnation" is a placeholder title, much like movies during production.

Yes, thats an interesting supposition as well. I wonder if any of the other games had different titles at some point and what would those be. Im thinking of Bloodlines\Vampire Killer especially. I love it, and I love that they used it to somehow make it into a spinoff of the main series, but i wonder if that was meant to have an "Akumajo" title at some point during the production, and what could that have been

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 04:57:42 AM »
+1
Based on magazine coverage, the name "Vampire Killer" was attached to the project from the very early stages, if not from the very beginning. I actually suspect they may have gone with that title because it was originally a new IP that got retooled into being a Castlevania spin-off very early in production but after the game's title had already been "locked in". The game was originally introduced as a "completely original horror action game unrelated to the Castlevania series". Plus, we now know Konami pulled that trick before (Haunted Castle was retooled into a Castlevania game at the last minute).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 04:59:16 AM by Nagumo »

Offline whipsmemory

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 05:35:16 AM »
Based on magazine coverage, the name "Vampire Killer" was attached to the project from the very early stages, if not from the very beginning. I actually suspect they may have gone with that title because it was originally a new IP that got retooled into being a Castlevania spin-off very early in production but after the game's title had already been "locked in". The game was originally introduced as a "completely original horror action game unrelated to the Castlevania series". Plus, we now know Konami pulled that trick before (Haunted Castle was retooled into a Castlevania game at the last minute).

I knew it was meant as a spin-off to the series,
but the idea that it could be completely unrelated to it comes as new to me, but looking at the scrapped character designs included in the Anniversary Collection, that makes a lot of sense, those did in fact look nothing like something belonging in anything Akumajō related at all.

Offline Succubus

• Head Priestess of the Monkey Cult
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
Re: Where does “Rondo” come from?
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 08:24:34 AM »
+1
I would guess that the magazines and guidebook were working on their coverage prior to Rondo's release, and the resources they were given likely lacked the furigana indicating the kanji shouldn't be read literally but as "Rondo". As someone who works in publishing and on magazines, I can tell you that there's often more time between when something is written and when it's on store shelves than consumers assume (or desire, considering how often people complain about mags and what have you not being timely enough, as if an article could be planned, researched, written, and laid out in an instant).

There's also the whole matter of the Japanese often not caring about the accuracy of English romanizations or translations in their publications. English is just used as a stylistic thing. It's probably more a matter of coincidence or copying that multiple publications translated the title as "Reincarnation" rather than Konami directing them to do so.

Offline whipsmemory

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 09:09:06 AM »
I would guess that the magazines and guidebook were working on their coverage prior to Rondo's release, and the resources they were given likely lacked the furigana indicating the kanji shouldn't be read literally but as "Rondo". As someone who works in publishing and on magazines, I can tell you that there's often more time between when something is written and when it's on store shelves than consumers assume (or desire, considering how often people complain about mags and what have you not being timely enough, as if an article could be planned, researched, written, and laid out in an instant).

There's also the whole matter of the Japanese often not caring about the accuracy of English romanizations or translations in their publications. English is just used as a stylistic thing. It's probably more a matter of coincidence or copying that multiple publications translated the title as "Reincarnation" rather than Konami directing them to do so.

Yeah it’s probably as you say, yet remains interesting to me how Konami while sending press kits, press releases and stuff didn’t care to point out the furigana

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 11:17:57 AM »

Is there a source for this information?
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 12:01:02 PM »
MegaDriveFAN Jun 1993 issue (published in May):

(click to show/hide)

From the upper section:

"This is an action game from a new series about vampires." 

From the lower section:

"When talking about a game about the vampire Dracula, "Akumajou Dracula" from the same company comes to mind. However, "Vampire Killer" is not a sequel. This game is developed as a completely new project with maintains the basic system and atmosphere (of the Castlevania series).  "

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 01:30:32 PM »
Aren't we talking about Rondo?

Edit.
I see what happened, I missed the post above yours.  Thought you meant rondo was originally a new ip.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 01:32:48 PM by AlexCalvo »
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Tags: