Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Symphony of the night HACKED! I bet you thought I had quit? ;)  (Read 258766 times)

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Castlevania: Symphony of the night HACKED! I bet you thought I had quit? ;)
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2010, 04:35:51 PM »
good god.. so much sprite sheets of custom Richter Belmont sprites in different colors.. x-x but from what I have seen, the colors that Esco had put up are all messed up, compared to Serio's original color scheme.

Serio is the one who gave me that sheet; I did not adjust anything.  8)

For the last couple of weeks I have been messing with the text & descriptions for all equip able items, relics, armor, etc. And I am happy to report that it is almost done. As are the icons for them.
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Offline Soldjermon

• a hippie.. sort of
  • Hunter in Training
  • bleh.. ;P
    • Personal Tumblr page
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2010, 07:05:47 PM »
oh.. I just thought that saving the sheet into gif format ruined the color scheme from the color scheme on Serio's Castlevania Fighter game; so that's what I did on the sheet. I guess it was my mistake.. D: but oh well, what's done is done.

- Soldjermon
Where I've been lately

CASTLEVANIA RULEZ!!! XD

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2010, 07:17:17 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure Serio had to do some extensive color reduction to get the sprite to be compatible with the PSX as opposed to his own game engine.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Omegasigma

• Director
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2010, 08:46:48 PM »
his fighter if i recalled used a Custom coded version of the mugen engine, i wasnt aware the PSX had a pallet limitation
Currently Involved in: Vampire blood Chronicals, Project Goldeneye

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2010, 09:21:42 PM »
his fighter if i recalled used a Custom coded version of the mugen engine, i wasnt aware the PSX had a pallet limitation

It does; 16 colors per sprite. Some enemies get around this using 2 palettes (like the archer in the reverse chapel), but at this moment I am not fully aware of how it is done. But Gemini is, and from what he stated to do it for a players sprite would probably take a MASSIVE recoding job that is well beyond my abilities.
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Offline Omegasigma

• Director
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2010, 12:13:35 AM »
so the 32-bit system really only run in 16-bit when it comes down to it, interesting to know
Currently Involved in: Vampire blood Chronicals, Project Goldeneye

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2010, 09:23:44 AM »
so the 32-bit system really only run in 16-bit when it comes down to it, interesting to know

Color counts do not equal bits. Get equipped with basic hardware concepts.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2010, 09:42:18 AM »
Indeed. When a system is referred to as an x-bit system this really just has to do with the the size of the data that can be processed at a time. It has nothing to do with the color depth used to display graphics, nor the RAM limitations for storing palettes.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2010, 10:48:02 AM »
+1
I think they're confusing datacrunching power with color depth.  A classic mistake.

And even if they were talking color depth, 16-bit is Thousands of Colors.
The SNES used a 16-bit (32,768) color limit with sprites having, at most, 256 colors on the screen at once(if they were one large graphic) or 16 colors per tile/sprite (15 plus mask).
The Genesis has 9-bit RGB palette (512 colors) with up to 61 colors on-screen at once... but I think there's also raster effects that can affect that value.
The NES only had a 16 color limit on the screen at once, out of a 64-color palette, withe tiles/sprites having three colors and a mask.  Certain memory mappers developed later allowed the NES to do some nice trickery that allowed it to display more colors at once, even allowing instances in which the full palette could be displayed, though.
The GBA has a 15-bit color limit (that's 32768), I believe.

Color Depth is measured thusly:

1-bit = Monochrome (black & white, no grays)

2-bit = 4-color (in binary, a 2-digit number at most can have four values: 00,01,10,11)  Old OLD Gameboy did this per layer and there were I think four layers (so there was still only four colors, green greener, greenest, black).  Gameboy Color would add its own Four-color palette to each layer out of a 15-bit palette, making the Gameboy Color on par with the SNES in terms of color depth (though the GB games played in the system would inevitably only have 16 colors at most, Gameboy Color games enjoying fare more colors).

You can argue that the NES sprites/tiles palette was limited to 3 colors and a transparency, with the aforementioned 64-color palette, and 16 colors in the screen at once (from what I recall).

3-bit = 8-color (2 to the third power)

4-bit = 16-color (2 to the 4th power - most SNES and Genesis games followed this when it would come to the tiles/sprites... and I think GBA does this for sprites as well).  It was a way to save space on the ROM cartridge, as smaller 'container' values would take up less space than large values.

In Windows95 and higher, you would have the option of having "High Color" (16-bit being 65536 colors), "24-bit True Color" (16,777,216 colors), and now most of us these days, with WinXP, Win7, and pretty much every new console and OS, use "32-bit" (4,294,967,296) color depth.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 10:57:40 AM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2010, 06:43:52 PM »
Hold on a second!

NES had a total of 25 unique colors per any given time. The problem is, the NES had 4 palettes for sprite, and 4 palettes for backgrounds. Each at 4 colors each, with one color in each palette that MUST be invisible. In addition, there was the flush color, that the background was reset to at the beginning of each frame. 3x8+1 = 25.

Due to the nature of the palette system, most sprite palettes included black for outlines, which reduced the total number of colors on screen, since EACH palette had it typically. For example, let's take Megaman.

Mask, Black, Blue, Light Blue : Megaman's body
Mask, Black, Skin, White : Megaman's face, also used for bullets and some enemies
Mask, Black, Dark Color, Light Color : Enemy palette 1, changes depending on what enemies are in that specific room
Mask, Black, Dark Color, Light Color : Enemy palette 2, changes depending on what enemies are in that specific room

There are 16 colors for all four palettes total, but four are always invisible, and four are always black in this case. Typically three of those are usually white, and so forth. So, out of the 16 colors that are defined here, really all you would see on screen regarding these sprites are 7-9 distinguishable colors total.

Offline VampirehunterB

• Vampire Hunter
  • A Genuine Castlevania fan..
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2010, 09:55:09 AM »
Really looking forward to this hacked sotn masterpiece, truly genious of you guys to create this!
I love the demos..there are 2 important issues to always keep in mind, in my opinion:

*Convert the voices into the japanese ones
*do NOT make alucard weaker(in other words, do not remove any "OP items form the original one)...my suggestion would be to make it harder to level up instead(it would probably spare your time as well)! 

Keep up the great work of yours!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 10:13:37 AM by vampiroldurusucu »

Offline PRIMEEVIL

• Awards
Hi,  I found your project SotN HACKED a few months ago & started following it right away.

I read through the various information on the forums & watch the demo videos ect.
 I bought SotN for PSX when it was a new game when I lived in Florida,  walking to WAL-MART,  it was a great experience.

SotN is my favorite Castlevania game,   always will be ;)
 I have SotN on my PC now,  I'm on my first play through,  I've explored a couple areas of the INVERTED CASTLE & have done most of the Main Castle ;)
 I'm sadden to see that Maria will not be in SotN HACKED because I always wanted to play a PC buffed version of the SATURN version of SotN.

I'm a huge fan & when the game is released I wouldn't mind donating the creator a small amount of funds,  it's a game I love.

When I last played SotN on my PSX I was working on the "ULTIMATE GAME & STRENGHT"
 It was not a "LUCK NEW GAME" becuase you can find the Lapiz Lazuli without it.
 It was an "Axe armor" File because you don't lose the strenght & you can still get that extra item @ the start.  You can however find Axe lord armor from the axe lords as an item drop.

Offline PRIMEEVIL

• Awards
finishing post,  in my ultimate strenght game, I got Alucard to somewhere around the level of 76-89,  I had around 215-250% of map explored using the sword brothers glitch in the church, everything in the game done,  100% of the items, etc.

The last things I had to do were,  get to lv.99, get 99 of every item possible in the game (monster item drops, librarian,  food tickets), & get maxium Money.
 FYI, @ that level the most experience you could get in the game was around 12 points of XP from the guardians in the clock room @ the inverted castle before the last dracula boss.

I had found 99 of many items in the game from monsters LOL,  I would go from castle to castle getting many items & moving on.
 It lots of fun to 1 hit any monster in the game using your favorite weapons like the chacaram? (the ninja circle blade you throw and comes back,  you can while 1 in each hand & throw each 2-3 times)
 Most used was Crissagrim & Sword familar together,  Sword familiar is used when you are godly level for the "normal sword" animations & timings it gives you,  angled sword attacked,  landing on the ground, etc.

Offline PRIMEEVIL

• Awards
Obviously the most difficult thing to do in this game is BUY 99 DUPLICATORS !!!!!!!!!!!!! Then get max gold after that on top of it!!!! DEAR GOD!
 You basically can only offord to buy 1 duplictor after you do everything normal in the game so this is an insane thing to attempt legitly.

The reward to doing an "ULTIMATE STRENGHT GAME" is...that's right,  Where the secret boots & be able to say "yeah,  this is the part of the game you where these @"  LOL  XD

Oh I just remembered,  I think I was acctually running a "LUCK NEW GAME" because you can do the "avoid death" & keep your alucard set,  this allows you to get the 2nd set in the inverted castle,  giving you more of an item that you can't get 99 of ;)

I'm not sure though,  I might have said no to that & gone for a stronger Alucard with better stats because there are dozens of items stronger than Alucard's set @ end game.

"lucky alucart style" is LUCK NEW GAME, 2 x lapiz lazuli,  Alucart set +30 luck,  duplicator & luck potions as you play the game,  etc.  :)  Good for item finding

Offline Esco

• Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
PRIMEEVIL: please stop spamming the thread. In the future, please just edit your old post if you have something else to say.  8)

Anyway, since they say a picture is worth a 1000 words:

The classic bone pillar. While this looks like a small change, it was living HELL to actually get this working. I also coded in the regular straight ones that fire straight ahead too. I am also working on many more things in the game, but this is all I am willing to share for now.  ;D

Tags:

anything