Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Symphony of the night HACKED! I bet you thought I had quit? ;)  (Read 259038 times)

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
HUGE UPDATE: My biggest issue with hacking the stages has now officially vanished. See the pic below:

This is a screenshot of the lower left quadrant of vram in a room in the chapel... as you can see every enemy in the stage has been loaded into vram, and even object type sprites. Those of you who know a little bit about programming, probably already know what I am about to say, but for those of you who don't it means that I have after over TWO YEARS found a way to control what is loaded into vram and where! This eliminates the biggest problem I had: not being able to put enemies wherever I wanted to put them (in the past they would come out scrambled or invisible due to this). The only limitation is that the enemy MUST APPEAR in the current stage (only the enemies that appear in the stage have their AI and gxf stored in the stage file, thus making them loadable)!

Many thanks go to Nyxoale for this! He spent about 4 hours on IM with me showing me how it could be done, and then this info combined with my findings allowed me to figure the rest out. Thanks also go out to Gemini, who provided me with some VERY useful info years ago that helped me to figure out how to change some necessary values as well!

Also.... here is a quick animation of the new gates that will be used in my rooms to close them off when you have to kill all the enemies to proceed forward (it has been slowed down so it is easier to see; the actual one is MUCH faster):

It is a 9 tile animation (I couldn't use sprites due to limitations), but even though it is using tiles as you can see it is not choppy looking at all. These are the exact gates from curse of darkness, rendered into beautiful 2d. :P

EDIT: smoothed out the above gate to make it blend better. Here is a screenshot:

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:29:45 PM by Esco »
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
I have opened up a blog on the hack for conveniences sake (since I put info on this hack up on several forums). It can be found here: http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com/

I will still be putting quick updates up on the forums, but since I keep having to move the main location for the hack around due to issues that occur on the forums I choose to do it on, I figured that this could be a more permanent home for info relating to it. In case something goes bonkers here too.  :(

At the moment only the most recent update is on there, but I plan on putting up some more stuff as the week goes by.
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
Looks awesome, dude! Looking forward a demo! :)

Offline Dracul

• Demon Lord
  • Hunter in Training
    • Demon Castle Dracula (CastleVania)
    • Awards
Awesome I really need to read here more often, going to update my page on your project as soon as i have time.

Offline Esco

• Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
I have put up an update on the blog: http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com/2011/05/13/update-51311/

Everyone, please feel free to check it out. I hope to get a new video out this coming week as well!

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
Looks cool, I hope to see that video soon! :)

Offline Esco

• Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
The video is up! Go to the blog to see it along with an explanation of what is in it. Enjoy!  8)

http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com/

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Sweet!! I can't wait to play this thing. Great work so far!
One thing that is probably very minor and low in priority, but there's this one thing that's always bugged me about the room with the stained glass. There are only two pews in the foreground and none farther into the background. Any way to fix this and add them in?
"Stuff and things."

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Hey Esco, I was wondering if the serio's custom Richter sprites in your hack have been updated or not.

If you're not gonna be updating it, I suggest you to use the original ones because IMO, those outdated sprites don't look as good as the original ones anymore.

Offline Gemini

• Maria's Pimp
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Falling!!
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Devil Hackers' Nest
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
The answer is definitively yup, and not just PoR.

Offline Esco

• Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
The Royal Chapel stage is completed; the blog has been updated with some info and screenshots.

I think he was requesting that someone do it for him Gemini.... and it looks like you just volunteered. Smooth move. ;D

Offline Gemini

• Maria's Pimp
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Falling!!
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Devil Hackers' Nest
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
He should have added more details to the post. Too bad for him. :D

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Can you some of the city scenes from Portrait of Ruin? Are you proficent enough to do the level maps yet? I need some of the scenery from that game for my project and there are no PoR maps available anywhere!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Tags: