Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Symphony of the night HACKED! I bet you thought I had quit? ;)  (Read 256077 times)

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
    Let's cut to the chase: I have been putting all updates on the anti-chapel (
http://www.chapelofresonance.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5795-the-castlevania-sotn-hacked-thread/) up until now, but since the forums are closed for the moment, and this place seems to be more lively I have decided to place updates here as well.

First off, a WIP editor that NYX is messing with: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,11315.0.html

Next is the post with the demo release of the hack (cut and pasted):

The demo of the hack is below. You will all need the following:

NOTE: if the links don't work, copy and paste them.

Also, I have only been able to test the hack on XP machines. But I see no reason why it shouldn't work on vista or windows 7 though.

EDIT: FOR EVERYONE USING WINDOWS 7: once in MHS, go to Tools/Options, and disable kernel reading and writing of RAM. This should get the hack to run in it.

Here is the zipped up file for the demo: http://www.mediafire.com/?vvwtf4d4fv8ac74

It contains the following:

• Demo1.bin: the ppf file
  • PPFomatic: to apply the PPF file
  • demo1.lssave: the memhack scripts file
  • demo1text.rtf: a wordpad/word file that has all of the directions on how to run the hack, the new controls, as well as a list of changes and known bugs. MAKE SURE TO READ THIS FIRST!
  • Several extra LSS files that can be opened from memhack's code editor (tools/script editor)

The LSS files all contain a MASSIVE amount of data that I have used to hack the game, and are WIP. They contain things like a list of variables for different things, charts for stuff like sprite structures, weapon lists etc. They are all notated very well too. To those of you who just want to play the hack, these LSS files will be useless. But for those like Nyxojaele, Gemini, and other programmers, this is definitely information you will want to look at.

Also please note that some of these LSS files may have little notes to myself still listed in them (like on the weapons chart). Please disregard them.

Special thanks goes out to SERIO for giving me the new and updated Richter sprite that you see in game. And also to GEMINI, who helped to teach me a LOT of things about how PCSX's debugger and trace options work. Without these two, this demo and my hack in general wouldn't be nearly as good. 

Last, but not least, a MASSIVE thanks goes out to L.Spiro for his memhack scripting functions, and all of the help he has provided me (and for the infinite patience he has shown too, lol). Without his tool, none of this would be possible. Spiro has proven that the impossible can be made a reality. B)

If anyone finds any weird bugs please let me know. If it crashes please include a screenshot of the error code in epsxe (this is very important) as well as details of what you were doing when the bug occurred.

Please do not just write and tell me "it doesn't work at all." Make sure that you follow directions and it will. I have tested this thing on 6 different XP machines, and they all worked perfectly. Hopefully it will be the same with vista and windows 7.

Have fun peoples. Although it's not much, I hope you all enjoy it.  B)

Here is a guide for the demo: http://www.mediafire.com/?c6e6zcaqyz1ym54

Also you can backflip on the ground but hitting the backflip button; it is not just done in the air. Note that the demo ENDS as soon as Alucard enters the castle gate. NOTHING ELSE IN GAME HAS BEEN CHANGED!

Video of the demo: (note: the backflip glitch used during the conversation has been fixed already and that the animation looks choppy for the backflip, but in game it is not) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night; hack by esco, demo, Perfect Run
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
I was wondering what happened to this project.

I have been putting all updates on the anti-chapel (http://www.chapelofresonance.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5795-the-castlevania-sotn-hacked-thread/) up until now, but since the forums are closed for the moment, and this place seems to be more lively I have decided to place updates here as well.

I guess we weren't cool enough here at the dungeon to talk with until the chapel tanked.

I like what you did with the purple flames, very CV3. The versatility of the standard Dracula fireball sprite is astounding.

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
I was wondering what happened to this project.

I guess we weren't cool enough here at the dungeon to talk with until the chapel tanked.

I like what you did with the purple flames, very CV3. The versatility of the standard Dracula fireball sprite is astounding.

Thanks, that's what I was going for.... lol and I was posting there because for a long time here every time I checked this place was dead, except for some spam kiddies who just came in talking trash. I was shocked to see how lively this place is.  ;D

Has elbryan been around at all?
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
That was a wicked demo! Dracula sure is more volatile with random attacks, a much larger arsenal and can take more hits then normal. I also liked the fact that you gave Richter a longer Vampirekiller so he is on par with the Doppleganger Trevor in the inverted castle. The Richter sprite know matches his official artwork too and it looks better then when it appeared in the Sega Saturn version. Congrats on a fine hack.  8)

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
Sometimes the Richter sprite jitters.
Gotta tell ya though... I kinda like the classic sprite.  I've gotten used to it by now.  Just my opinion.

That's a hell of a first battle, too.  Really cool with the CV3 tripleflame.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Richter walking animation is a bit awkward IMO, he moves his arm and leg to the same direction when he walks, unlike the original sprites.

Also, Richter's palettes are too dark compared to all of the in-game sprites IMO.

Again, sorry for my bad english.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 08:15:24 AM by Pemburu Vampir »

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Thanks, that's what I was going for.... lol and I was posting there because for a long time here every time I checked this place was dead, except for some spam kiddies who just came in talking trash. I was shocked to see how lively this place is.  ;D

Has elbryan been around at all?

Eh, it was dead because there has been nothing to talk about.

I'm not a fan of the Richter sprites... it needs to be cleaned up before it fits. but as it is... eh.

Cool improvements, but I didn't like how the life bar was stretched. (more life)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
I hadn't noticed the Richter animation error before. That needs to be fixed.
Also I don't see any stretching in the life bar. Looks fine to me.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Not stretched, he just has a lot more life, normally a hit from Richter would do 3 times that damage.

Offline Soldjermon

• a hippie.. sort of
  • Hunter in Training
  • bleh.. ;P
    • Personal Tumblr page
    • Awards
awesome hack! :D man, now it feels like I want to hack my own SotN game.
also, how were you able to contact Serio? D: I've been looking around and I have not seen any of his emails.. I need to ask to see if I can use his Richter sprites for my comic. >3>

- Soldjermon
Where I've been lately

CASTLEVANIA RULEZ!!! XD

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: Symphony of the night HACKED! I bet you thought I had quit? ;)
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 07:11:11 PM »
also, how were you able to contact Serio?

Gotta know the right places to go. Where the cool and attractive hang out.

When I asked him on your behalf, he said he wouldn't mind letting you use them but he's completely lost the sheet. Unless senor Esco here has a sheet to share, I'm afraid you're out of luck.

Offline Esco

• Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 09:02:27 PM »
About the Richter sprite: that is all Serio's doing, so I do not have any sprite sheets. Personally I think he did an outstanding job; especially considering the hell it was for him. Not all of the sprites could just be copy and pasted in. For some he had to spend DAYS hex editing in a frame pixel by pixel. So until we get someone to make an editor for Richter's sprites, they will NOT be changing. If anyone wants to try and improve it, feel free to. I would welcome the assistance. :)

Serio can be found here: http://serio.piiym-net.com/CVBla/

Richter's walking animation has not been changed, so I do not know why anyone says he only moves one arm; that is untrue.  :o

Dracula's life needed to be longer; he was a pussy before. Lol  :P

Thanks to all who liked it; it is appreciated. Right now I am working on the text for all the weapons and items, armor etc. The names are done, the images are done, but some description texts are being worked on still.

Jorge: your name looks familiar; are you Elbryan? If not where do I know you from?

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 12:29:48 AM »
I can help you with the Richter sprites since I have found a way to edit ALL of them. :)
It is not easy though.

As for the Richter walking animation, try comparing it to serio's CV Fighter version of Richter, you'll see what I mean.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 11:38:05 AM »
Esco: I've been here for practically forever.  I'm not Elbryan.  Elbryan hasn't been around in a while.
And here's a thought: Use Original Richter's sprites instead.  At least they won't look glitchy, and most of us have grown accustomed to them (you could probably just change the color paletter).  These sprites, while OK, look too glitchy.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Esco

• Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 01:15:58 PM »
I can help you with the Richter sprites since I have found a way to edit ALL of them. :)
It is not easy though.

As for the Richter walking animation, try comparing it to serio's CV Fighter version of Richter, you'll see what I mean.

Really?  :o How so? My SN on msn is esco1979@cfl.rr.com; feel free to msg me on there or U2U me on here with your SN.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 07:36:41 PM by Esco »

Tags:

anything