Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Indy 4 (spoilers)  (Read 9693 times)

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« on: May 22, 2008, 12:44:34 AM »
Just got back from seeing the midnight premier and I gotta say, it was a big dissappointment. The acting was awesome but it just didn't capture the feel of the first 3. Harrison Ford didn't come across the same, granted I know they were going for more of an older more settled in feel for his character this goaround, be he didn't seem to have that same fire for adventure like the old ones. I also didn't like the whole alien thing, one of the things I've always loved about Indy movies is their down to earth feel that really establishes a connection with the audience, the whole alien thing really hurt the mood of the film and gave it too much of a scifi feel and took away from my overall experience, I love Scifi but not taken to this extreme where their are actual extraterrestrials in the film when it comes to Indy. Everyone's performances were great though and I think if they had a better more traditional search for the ancient artifacts that may contain mystical power plot instead of searching for something out of Star Trek I would have liked the film more.
_______________________________________ ______________

warfreak

Re: Indy 4 (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 10:46:19 AM »
Agreed. I hate the CGI thing too. Not all of it, but because they're not using real people (ie. stuntmans and real sets) anymore, thus making it look faker than some of the older movies. Not "fake" in a "not real" sense, but "fake" in a "nobody's really doing it" sense. They're all just standing in front of a blue/green screen doing all those so-called "stunts".

Disappointment.

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 05:36:59 PM »
Wow, some people just can't appreciate a good action movie. Who cares if it lives up to standardss and you know that nothing is being done by real people? I still think it was great and nothing to be disappointed anout. Except for the aliens though.... of course that is  what the whole "Crystal Skulls Legend" is about. So I guess they just had to go there. Still, I think the plot was great and with some unexpected twists.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

warfreak

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 01:32:21 AM »
Wow, some people just can't appreciate a good action movie. Who cares if it lives up to standardss and you know that nothing is being done by real people? I still think it was great and nothing to be disappointed anout. Except for the aliens though.... of course that is  what the whole "Crystal Skulls Legend" is about. So I guess they just had to go there. Still, I think the plot was great and with some unexpected twists.

Woah woah. The thing is, for us it ISN'T a good action movie. I don't think it really lives. I don't think the plot twists were really unexpected because I expected them. Elongated skulls=aliens. The kid is his son. Stuff.

I fell asleep during the movie. >_<

And according to top critics: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/indiana_jones_and_the_kingdom_of_the_crystal_skull/?critic=creamcrop

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 02:27:19 AM »
This movie wasn't what i was expecting and i didn't like that alien thing at all. They failed to capture the atmosphere of the three previous indiana movies.

Anyway, except from some effects, the movie wasn't that bad, but it could be better and i think that the story with he's son, is for making he's son the next indiana! :P
Ruler of Chaos

warfreak

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 02:53:25 AM »
i think that the story with he's son, is for making he's son the next indiana! :P

I think so, yes. >_< Although that would be seriously exploiting the franchise already. So I hope they don't even get that idea..

Offline MDI

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 08:34:23 PM »
The whole alien thing was no doubt...unexpected...

But I think it was still a good film, not that I actually minded the aliens, but other than that it had some good action scenes..

I also liked seeing the red ants eat that one guy.
:)

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 09:10:32 PM »
I don't think they were red ants. I think they were bullet ants.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15816_5-most-horrifying-bugs-in-world.html

Offline MDI

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 09:15:47 PM »
I don't think they were red ants. I think they were bullet ants.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15816_5-most-horrifying-bugs-in-world.html

*Clicks link*

I'm having nightmares tonight for sure..
:)

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 10:57:42 PM »
Hey clara do you remember if they had eyes? I think they could be Army ants too, as it says they grab on to each other and can form chains, like the ones who went after the soviet chick in the film.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 04:56:29 AM »
Hey clara do you remember if they had eyes? I think they could be Army ants too, as it says they grab on to each other and can form chains, like the ones who went after the soviet chick in the film.

Yeah. I think they're army ants, too, based on that link. And thanks alot, CLARA, for the nightmares I shall have tonight. Especially those fucking HORNETS!

I think they're soldier ants, cuz they said bullet ants live in trees, and that is not what the ants in Indy 4 came outta -- they came out of the ground. Also, yeah how it said they build structures with their bodies.

I think the movie made them look more reddish than they are. Maybe to make them look more threatening.

K. So anyway, I thought the movie was a lot of fun, and I disagree about the feel of this one being an outlier from the series. With the grand return of the swelling theme songs we've come to love, and the non-stop thrills and over-the-top action sequences we love even more, I think Indy 4 did a far better job at bridging the 20 year hiatus than Star Wars ever did upon its return (Although "Revenge" came close). And I hope there's more in store soon. (Good chance I think).

Harrison Ford was TOTALLY the aged Indy we expected. He's still got that sly smile and the infectious comebacks, and with the stellar acting of Shia along for the ride, the pair make an interesting and endearing father-son duo, I don't know about you guys, but I'm eager to see what happens next between them. Cute ending how Mutt almost picks up the hat in a seeming moment of fate.

The acting was superb, but the script sudffered from some believability issues. I know Indy's always been loose with the truth of injuries and bullet-to-wound ratio, but there were so m any moments where I just had to widen my eyes in disbelief and say, "SUUUURE". There was so many death-defying feats where someone should have died given the laws of physics and mortality. But for whatever reason, the writers gave Indy the ability to somehow survive not only an atom bomb, but a 1,000-ft flight in the air and another 500-ft landing full of bumps, bruises and what otherwise should be fatal fractures.

Yeah, very over the top, but somehow very fun and satisfying. Not to mention humorous.

The alien thing didn't phase me much, as I found it a unique way to shove even more a sense of setting and time and place, as these type of issues were hot at the time the movie takes place. The opening shot of the greasers in their jalopy and the finale of the interdimensional exit -- all of it reeks of 1950's charm and mystique. Indiana Jones' films have always done a great job at portraying and often parodying the eras and areas they take place in.

Afterall, the series has alway been like a live-action comic book; given that, how do aliens NOT fit in the picture?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 05:00:53 AM by A N T R A X X »

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline Mobius

• Balls of Molten Steel
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 10:32:49 PM »
*checks in her sig at the door*

Whelp, I saw it over the weekend. Let me tell ya', I love Raiders to death and I thought Temple of Doom was the poorest chapter in the series, but when it comes to a totally unnecessary, contrived and formulaic new addition to the franchise with an aged Indy and an heir apparent (FYI, it really spoils nothing to reveal the kid in the film is his son, folks. Really) to carry on his family name and (possible) whip-toting legacy- - . . . . . . I gotta' tell you, they did a pretty good job.

Say what you will about the plot or the CG FX, but the film itself was fun, it was lively, and even if Mutt Junior didn't share the same rapport with Jones as his father did back in the Last Crusade, it still anchored the whole thing well. The allusions to past adventures were sweet and not forced. As for the cosmic twist? Hey, one culture's holy grail could just as easily be another distant race's Energizer battery, you know. Just be thankful George Lucas didn't get to go through with his original 50's sci-fi shlock-fest script "Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men from Mars."

Did the world need another Indiana Jones film? Course not. But you know something? They sure pulled it off with panache. And come on, people. This is a Lucasfilm property. - We all knew it was going to be mostly green-screened. Those who say otherwise should clearly have stayed home to begin with, kay? Now hand over the crystal skulls and let's get higher than Marvin the Martian, kids.

"When it comes right down to it, extinguishing a living soul is as easy as blowing out a candle."

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 10:40:26 PM »
In Reply To #9 and #11

Eh. Bot Flies are scarier.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 12:12:41 AM »
In Reply To #9 and #11

Eh. Bot Flies are scarier.

The one that I I found to be the scariest was the Japanese hornet, those suckers are huge and if you piss one off your dead cuz it signals all the hornets in the area after you. It was also insane to see 30 of them take down a bee hive consisting of 30000 bees. They were like terminators.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 09:31:36 AM »
"
I also didn't like the whole alien thing, one of the things I've always loved about Indy movies is their down to earth feel that really establishes a connection with the audience,"

An ark channeling God or the magical healing cup of Jesus had a down to earth feel?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 04:47:58 AM by A-Yty »

Tags:

anything