Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Metroid: Dread  (Read 10126 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: July 19, 2021, 10:14:22 AM »
Well the game's release date is just around the corner. https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/metroid-dread-switch/

Personally I don't care for the melee attack returning (and I really hope that a segment like the Diggernaut chasing you across the map does not make a comeback), but I'll pick this up since I did buy my Switch with this game in mind. I had thought that Retro studios was doing this but apparently MercurySteam was once again contracted for the job. They treated Samus respectably with their remake of Metroid II so hopefully we see it here too. I'm also hoping that Yoshio Sakamoto hasn't pulled any of that Other M garbage. The man needs to know when he's made a mistake and not repeat it.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 08:31:31 PM »
Can't wait to play this one. Feels weird getting excited over a MercurySteam game, but Samus Returns was lots of fun.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 03:28:34 PM »
For me Samus Returns doesn't hold a candle to AM2R.
Still after decades of Dread nearly being an urban legend, I'm psyched to play it.

@X: I heard they tweaked the melee attack thingy to make it more optional or some such. I wasn't a fan of it either.
"Stuff and things."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 09:52:30 AM »
Inccubus@

I read about that too. That's the only thing that's making it somewhat acceptable. Samus can now move while performing a melee attack rather then stand in one spot.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 12:58:36 PM »
I'm really curious what direction they are taking the story.
"Stuff and things."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 12:42:19 AM »
I'm really curious what direction they are taking the story.

New trailer out explaining it
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 10:14:41 AM »
I'm looking forward to Dread.  I had a pretty lukewarm reception to Samus Returns, possibly because I kinda hate MercurySteam after their Lords of Shadow nonsense, and possibly because it wasn't mindblowing like AM2R.  When a fangame blows the comparable official product out of the water, that says bad things about the official product.  But mostly the shitty level design and fully 3D graphics were not up to the standards of previous entries in the series.

But anyway, more Metroid is almost always a good thing, so I'll give Dread a chance.  I'm trying to avoid spoilers and I heard some of the later trailers gave away some bigger plot points, so I've avoided everything after the initial announcement and gameplay footage.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2021, 01:49:24 AM »
I'm looking forward to Dread.  I had a pretty lukewarm reception to Samus Returns, possibly because I kinda hate MercurySteam after their Lords of Shadow nonsense, and possibly because it wasn't mindblowing like AM2R.  When a fangame blows the comparable official product out of the water, that says bad things about the official product.  But mostly the shitty level design and fully 3D graphics were not up to the standards of previous entries in the series.

Completely disagree with the above. I’m not saying SR isn’t better than AM2R, but the graphics and level design not being there is complete bullshit. It’s nearly identical to the source material and graphically, it looks fine on a 3DS. It’s Mercury Steam’s best work outside of the og CV:LoS, depending on how you rate that.

If anything the worst flaws of the game are the abilities that created a divisive fanbase (which is already very small in general, compared to most Nintendo franchises). The scanner was a terrible choice to give the player as the game started(it’s similar to the golden leaf in Mario 3D world, making the game too easy) even though the player doesn’t have to use it. The parry system which I personally like, was overused, however it gives a new dimension to the boss fights, more like an improved version of the melee attack in Other M. The difficulty with the inclusion of Fusion Mode was a decent challenge (yeah you need the Metroid Amiibo, but it’s one of the best goddamn amiibos out there). For me personally, it’s the best official Metroid game release in years and the fact Dread’s engine is based off of it is saying something.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2021, 10:29:26 AM »
It’s nearly identical to the source material and graphically

The way the maps are laid out is identical to the original, yes, but the 3D graphics don't match for the most part. Also things in the remake were looking way too advanced and still functional rather then the original which was far more primitive, ruinous and dilapidated, successfully showing us a long-since abandoned world. The doors that you destroy in the original game is just once cited example of this change in the remake (not including the unnecessary Ridly fight at the end). AM2R was far closer to the original in terms of design. And despite adding a whole shwack of new things they managed to keep ruinous look intact, and the graphics themselves were awesome to look at. The only thing that bothered me about AM2R was their over-usage of the speed booster item. It just doesn't translate well on a keyboard. And depending on the controller you're using it can be very clunky. I'd rather that item was left out of the game. It worked for Super Metroid but only because they never over-emphasized its usage (unlike Fusion and Zero Mission, ugh!). They kept it simple and it was fine.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 10:31:15 AM by X »

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2021, 07:00:33 PM »
The way the maps are laid out is identical to the original, yes, but the 3D graphics don't match for the most part. Also things in the remake were looking way too advanced and still functional rather then the original which was far more primitive, ruinous and dilapidated, successfully showing us a long-since abandoned world. The doors that you destroy in the original game is just once cited example of this change in the remake (not including the unnecessary Ridly fight at the end). AM2R was far closer to the original in terms of design. And despite adding a whole shwack of new things they managed to keep ruinous look intact, and the graphics themselves were awesome to look at.

I totally agree with SR388 being an operational planet, seeming out of place. I get why that non-primitive aspect would totally grate with a Metroid fan. However, that’s really more of a lore or utilitarian aspect narrated by physical interaction, as opposed to ‘level design’, specifically. Let’s call them ‘environments’ vs levels, for the sake of argument.

I agree that in terms of environments (illustrating both narrative and aesthetic) a functional planet, presented cleanly and crisply, with running water, brimming with organic life etc doesn’t suit the context of Metroid II’s events. Although I like the idea of having a ruined planet and reactivating the chozo warps, as chozo ruins, artefacts and technology appear to survive all but a planet’s destruction.

Tbh Nintendo does these little shits and bits in new releases (like they did with Zelda MM 3d, with deleting the Triforce symbology from certain parts of the game, specifically Stone Tower) which if I am hung up on the source material, does bother me to an extent. However, in this case, I believe the choices were to do with efficiency and cost-saving, since they went completely 3D anyway.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2021, 10:33:37 PM »
Although I like the idea of having a ruined planet and reactivating the chozo warps, as chozo ruins, artefacts and technology appear to survive all but a planet’s destruction.

This was a nice option actually. Considering how much larger the world was despite the map being nearly identical, its internal composition had been greatly increased. So it does make sense to enact some sort of warping device to allow for fast travel which helps to cut down on the amount of time spent in-game.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2021, 08:11:37 AM »
https://youtu.be/V_XnbTayTH4

Latest trailer looks damn epic, honestly.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 08:13:14 AM by zangetsu468 »

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2021, 09:55:17 AM »
Okay! Now I have even more questions! Clearly we saw Kraid in there unless it was another of his species since he died several games ago. And that Chozo warrior wearing the same type of power armor as Samus. I really need to get this game...

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2021, 07:36:53 PM »
Okay! Now I have even more questions! Clearly we saw Kraid in there unless it was another of his species since he died several games ago. And that Chozo warrior wearing the same type of power armor as Samus. I really need to get this game...

Pure Speculation:
- Samus will get her powers stripped at the beginning of the game, giving her the Blue Suit
- Chozo Warrior uses those powers and you fight him several times like Nemesis / Girahim
- Chozo guy’s consciousness is linked to The X and Ridley (Neo Ridley was previously destroyed in Fusion, with the Core-X escaping his body on defeat). Since this is apparently
(click to show/hide)
- Chozo guy is either their king, the lineage of their God/ king or had to do with raising Samus.

But it’s just a theory…….
(click to show/hide)

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 09:51:22 AM »
But it’s just a theory…….
 (click to show/hide)

Had fun there didn't ya  :D

I did read in an interview that Samus' original suit is apparently reconstituting itself which is why the fusion suit doesn't look like it does in Metroid Fusion.

-update-

Huh. I had no idea that it was still in the works:

'Sorry, no more word on Retro Studios' first-person Metroid Prime sequel just yet. Nintendo and primary developer Retro Studios (who made the previous Prime games) are still "working hard" on the game.

For more info, check out our guide to everything we know about Metroid Prime 4. Spoilers: it ain't all that much.'

Tags:

anything