Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What game(s) have you been playing lately?  (Read 586706 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
Re: What game(s) have you been playing lately?
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2012, 04:32:36 PM »
noooooooooooooooooo :(

I don't get how anybody could think this way. Super Metroid is a masterpiece, a perfectly flawless game. SOTN, while great, can't compare.

Trying "a little of" the game doesn't tell much about how incredible it is. The first twenty minutes or so are an eerie setup that leads into a full-blown "holy peup this is amazing" type experience. The game just constantly keeps getting better and better as you go.

Perhaps, though I think it probably has a lot to do with which one you played first. And again I just can't find Samus or the aliens interesting, I'm sure they're good characters (even I know Samus's character was butchered in Other M) they just don't appeal to me as much.
I never intended to start some kind of debate over which was better lol, though perhaps that would be an interesting topic for those who have played both to completion?
But I know the Metroid setting will never do it for me the way the glorious gothic supernatural b-movie amalgam that is Castlevania does. The whole series is special to me not just because of the awesome gameplay but the rich world I care about.
For a bit of context: My roots with Castlevania go way back, the first game being one of the few I remember from my original NES. (Though I didn't get to play it much as I didn't own it.) And SOTN is, like the rest of the games, set in the kind of spooky-fun world the love for which is the reason Halloween is still my favorite holiday. Bursting with fun horror elements that remind me of movies I watched late at night and saved up to buy/rent on VHS as a kid. So when I say I'll never like Metroid nearly as much, it's nothing against Metroid.

PS- Always remember folks- "De gustibus non est disputandum."
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 04:44:10 PM by Ratty »

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2012, 05:14:44 PM »
I find it hard to believe someone can like SoTN and its flock, but hate Super Metroid. But to each their own I suppose.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2012, 05:34:22 PM »
I find it hard to believe someone can like SoTN and its flock, but hate Super Metroid. But to each their own I suppose.
Ah I would find that hard to believe as well. I never said I hated it. Merely that the gameplay did not feel as good to me as SOTN (the platinum standard imo) and that the mythology of Metroid will never interest me as much as that of Castlevania. Like I said, I'm sure it's an excellent game along with most of the rest of the Metroid series.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2012, 06:00:31 PM »
It's

a Gameboy Metroid II hack that uses my graphics to update Samus and some other stuff
running on
a Gameboy Emulator for DS
running on
a DSTwo Flash Cart for DS
running on
a 3DS system.

I'M A DUDE
PLAYIN' A DUDE
DISGUISED AS ANOTHER DUDE!
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
Just bought the new Humble Bundle at humblebundle.com containing...

Bastion (if you pay over the average)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Limbo
Sword And Sworcery
and Psychonauts... and possibly more to come, once they run for a few days.

Now that's a lot of damn fine games for a pittance, should you care to pay one cent (yet if you do that, you aren't supporting anything but your own selfishness) - myself, I spent ten euros and gave some to charity, some to the Bundlers, and most to the game devs. Looking forward to Amnesia, bit of a horror-puzzler as far as I know it - and Bastion looks like a damn cool game.
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2012, 08:27:24 PM »
I would buy the pack but I already own Bastion Sword and Sworcery and Amnesia. So theres really no point. If they add more onto it I might consider it then

I did buy the Thief pack on steam last week tho pretty sweet deal

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2012, 08:29:55 PM »
I would buy the pack but I already own Bastion Sword and Sworcery and Amnesia. So theres really no point. If they add more onto it I might consider it then

My significant other gifted me that Thief pack :3 I had been planning to get the games on gog eventually but sweet to have them already.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 08:31:43 PM by Ratty »

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2012, 08:31:36 PM »
It's

a Gameboy Metroid II hack that uses my graphics to update Samus and some other stuff
running on
a Gameboy Emulator for DS
running on
a DSTwo Flash Cart for DS
running on
a 3DS system.

I'M A DUDE
PLAYIN' A DUDE
DISGUISED AS ANOTHER DUDE!

I didn't flash carts worked on the 3DS... Which one do you use?

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy on PS2, and Diablo 3 for PC.

I'm in a bit of a dungeon crawler mood.
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2012, 08:55:21 PM »
I played Gauntlet: Dark Legacy with three other friends one night and we abused some spider boss and got to level 99. Good times. I should see if they want to do it again.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2012, 10:15:05 PM »
Looking forward to Amnesia, bit of a horror-puzzler as far as I know it

I wanna make out with your guys' buttholes so much. Amnesia and Thief are two of the greatest games ever. The latter is in my top ten, probably my top five. Really similar games; fans of one will undoubtedly love the other.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2012, 11:20:52 PM »
I didn't flash carts worked on the 3DS... Which one do you use?

Ummmm... DSTwo (I said that, teehee).
The DSTwo is 3DS Compatible (but only in DS mode; no 3DS Compatibility yet)
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2012, 02:29:39 AM »
I wanna make out with your guys' buttholes so much. Amnesia and Thief are two of the greatest games ever. The latter is in my top ten, probably my top five. Really similar games; fans of one will undoubtedly love the other.

Have Thief 2 on disc from ages back.... loved that game till it didn't work anymore on W'XP. Thinking about repurchasing on Steam. ThieF 3 was pretty good also.... never played the first.
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2012, 07:33:51 AM »
And SOTN is, like the rest of the games, set in the kind of spooky-fun world the love for which is the reason Halloween is still my favorite holiday. Bursting with fun horror elements that remind me of movies I watched late at night and saved up to buy/rent on VHS as a kid.

Super Metroid has a ghost ship that's 8,000,000 times more spooky than anything SOTN musters up. :p There are lots of moments of horror in that game (bosses Spore Spawn, Crocomire, Kraid).

I dunno, SM is oozing with horror atmosphere right from the get-go. I'm not really sure how you're not seeing it, instead equating it to some "guns and aliens" thing or something. It tells me you weren't really paying attention and didn't give the game any chance at all.

Have Thief 2 on disc from ages back.... loved that game till it didn't work anymore on W'XP. Thinking about repurchasing on Steam. ThieF 3 was pretty good also.... never played the first.

The first is definitely the greatest. Best story, best design. Thief II: The Metal Age followed that up incredibly well with almost-as-great story and design—and the rooftop level is the greatest level in gaming history.

Then Thief: Deadly Shadows got shat out but I still loved it anyway. Looking forward to the fourth one even though I know it won't capture the greatness of the first two.

By the way, it's required the Thief games be played on the hardest difficulty setting. I get the most enjoyment out of the games that way because you get so many more mission objectives, and you gotta be more careful because you often can't kill anybody.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:36:13 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2012, 08:34:05 AM »
"Guns and Aliens"?  That sounds more like Contra than Metroid.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Tags: