Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848585 times)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #2115 on: June 05, 2012, 08:24:35 PM »
+2
You're fucking kidding me... how pressing a button is more control?

Taking damage directly makes you actually take care, to not get grabbed. Press button to win, press button to "X" is one of the worst game designs done recently.

I took plenty of damage in LoS. Plenty of "you didn't dodge" damage, and few QTE's they had, like pushing the wargs off of me, didn't change that. The occasional QTE gives a player a sense of reversal that you can't get just by "don't get hit, noob"

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2116 on: June 05, 2012, 08:28:17 PM »
Ok, so....how does Marie have the kid in secret without Gabe knowing it? Does she fake a miscarriage? Hide it somehow?

These questions are the ones that need explanation for me to be any kind of onboard for anything. Don't handwave this shit, MercurySteam.

Probably lied and said she had a miscariage then had someone take Trevor far away from there right after she delivered. Gabriel went on in life thinking his only child was dead.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2117 on: June 05, 2012, 08:29:48 PM »
I took plenty of damage in LoS. Plenty of "you didn't dodge" damage, and few QTE's they had, like pushing the wargs off of me, didn't change that. The occasional QTE gives a player a sense of reversal that you can't get just by "don't get hit, noob"
It's only a excuse to make the game more coreographed/cinematographic. Games were supposed to punish gamers for being lazy, not help them with the "win button" to escape.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2118 on: June 05, 2012, 08:30:17 PM »
+3
"Press X to avoid boulder"
"Press X to win match"
"Hit the buzzer, win a cookie!"

I don't like that general direction that games are taking.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2119 on: June 05, 2012, 08:31:34 PM »
Oh boy, here comes the negatives on the totally unrelated posts by LoS fans that don't agree with my oppinion about game design.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2120 on: June 05, 2012, 08:32:08 PM »
+1
Hmm... even though we barely got to know her, I like Lisa Farenheits waaay better than Marie, for "obvious" reasons

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2121 on: June 05, 2012, 08:33:58 PM »
+3
It's only a excuse to make the game more coreographed/cinematographic. Games were supposed to punish gamers for being lazy, not help them with the "win button" to escape.

And that's not a bad thing as long as there's a happy medium, and actually, above all, games are supposed to be fun.

Nobody wants to play a game where you can get out of every bad situation, but like I said, Lords was punishing enough without the hard to dodge grapple moves dealing even more damage. I died in 4-5 hits anyways.

"Press X to avoid boulder"
"Press X to win match"
"Hit the buzzer, win a cookie!"

I don't like that general direction that games are taking.

Despite what some on this board may think, I actually, agree. When a QTE has taken over what could be done by a basic game function, there's a problem. A big problem.

But when a context-sensitive QTE comes up in what would have otherwise been a static experience, I think it's fairly reasonable to put it in there, and gets you in the feel of the mood of the scene.

For example, when the warg busts out of the wall and pins me to the ground, instead of just sitting there and watching Gabriel push it off, mashing a button gets me involved in the fight by paralleling the struggling the character is doing mid game.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:41:19 PM by e105beta »

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2122 on: June 05, 2012, 08:40:16 PM »
I'm not talking about LoS though, but a supposedly 2D/2.5D sidescroller. The goal post changed, I don't even know where.

2D games weren't supposed to have these type of shit. But I'm sure you won't get my point anyway. So I'll just leave at that.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2123 on: June 05, 2012, 08:42:14 PM »
I'm not talking about LoS though, but a supposedly 2D/2.5D sidescroller. The goal post changed, I don't even know where.

2D games weren't supposed to have these type of shit. But I'm sure you won't get my point anyway. So I'll just leave at that.

You're not the only one whose point is not getting gotten.

But agreed, it's probably easier just to drop it.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2124 on: June 05, 2012, 08:43:43 PM »
"Soul of Darkness" for DSiWare had QTE's, too. Anyone ever play that Castlevania-clone?

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2125 on: June 05, 2012, 08:46:15 PM »
"Soul of Darkness" for DSiWare had QTE's, too. Anyone ever play that Castlevania-clone?
It sucks. Plain and cold oppinion.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #2126 on: June 05, 2012, 08:51:41 PM »
well, we can assume she didnt tell him she was pregnant and we can also assume he was sent away on a mission or several missions by the order that took a considerable long time or at least long enough for her to have a kid and hide him
We no longer have to speculate on this, it's confirmed on their web page:

Trevor Belmont is the son of Gabriel and Marie Belmont. He was conceived prior to the events of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, in the year of our Lord 1046, during one of Gabriel’s many long sojourns on behalf of the Brotherhood of Light and its fight against evil.

Looks like he was born one year before the events of Lords of Shadow 1.

EDIT:  The errors on that page are kind of entertaining.  Wonder if it was due to a translation mistake?  I certainly hope Trevor wasn't conceived, rather than born, during one of Gabriel's many long sojourns.  Another mistake on their page is telling us that we will play as Gabriel's ancestors...  Though it would be interesting if we actually did.  Let's play as Mathias Cronqvist!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:57:05 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2127 on: June 05, 2012, 08:57:27 PM »
It sucks. Plain and cold oppinion.

Agreed. Game was crap.

I mean, I expected it to be crap, but it was crap nonetheless.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #2128 on: June 05, 2012, 09:46:45 PM »
We no longer have to speculate on this, it's confirmed on their web page:

Looks like he was born one year before the events of Lords of Shadow 1.

EDIT:  The errors on that page are kind of entertaining.  Wonder if it was due to a translation mistake?  I certainly hope Trevor wasn't conceived, rather than born, during one of Gabriel's many long sojourns.  Another mistake on their page is telling us that we will play as Gabriel's ancestors...  Though it would be interesting if we actually did.  Let's play as Mathias Cronqvist!
Yep, translation mistakes
Convieved = Concebido = Born
Ascendants = Ascendiencia which is a common mistake in spanish talking people when trying to say Descendants. Confusing those terms is really, like REALLY widespread

Everything comes full circle

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2129 on: June 05, 2012, 09:56:45 PM »
+1
Meanwhile why everyone else is talking ;Mirror of Fate has won a nintendo power award

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Tags: .....?