Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848644 times)

Offline MKKhanzo

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #2280 on: June 06, 2012, 03:59:21 PM »
I would want to see it very fluid and not so choppy on the site I cannot say anything right now , but all the other videos looked good. I want to see some platforming and the mirror aspect with the cameras.

You are right, I was just commenting on the combat. I want to see the exploration too!
I guess that all IGA haters are rejoicing now. Have fun with your fancy Belmont Dracula and rat stealth.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #2281 on: June 06, 2012, 03:59:27 PM »
Oi, combat is already getting heavily criticized. Looks like this game is gonna be a "hit or miss" with us  :-\
Not the least bit surprised, they really need to start making the demos at E3 playable for everyone for a limited time. It should have been become a mandatory thing years ago.
Looks good where? Even DxC looks better, more enemies placement, the enemies are obstacles, no QTEs, no over the top combat, difficult bosses with real and interesting patterns. If it had whip swinging I'm sure it would be automatic like this game is going to be...
It sounds like you were expecting this to be a pure Classicvania.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2282 on: June 06, 2012, 03:59:53 PM »
+1
Well it seems Trevor's gameplay segment is not really hot. We haven't even seen Simon's gameplay yet but I got a feeling that it won't change much. :-\

Well at least it's a Metroidvania right?

Right?

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #2283 on: June 06, 2012, 04:00:10 PM »
Well, the kids at IGN calls this game "awful" and "really, really bad". I don't think they've ever called a Castlevania game AWFUL before. Dunno what to think at this point. Then again, I don't like IGN at all.

:rollseyes:

I like to think that maybe it's not perfect , but at the same time I think some IGN members do not like this reboot remember damon hatfield?
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2284 on: June 06, 2012, 04:02:11 PM »
+1
Well maybe we will get lucky and there will be REAL Castlevania music, which may make it a little more bearable.  As bad as judgement was, it had a badass soundtrack which made it more enjoyable despite lackluster gameplay.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2285 on: June 06, 2012, 04:02:49 PM »
Well it seems Trevor's gameplay segment is not really hot. We haven't even seen Simon's gameplay yet but I got a feeling that it won't change much. :-\

Right?

Depends on your definition of the word "Metroidvania".

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #2286 on: June 06, 2012, 04:03:36 PM »
Haven't finished reading the rest of this but, how about just a well timed tap of the block button similar to throw escapes in Street Fighter? It's super fast and doesn't interrupt the flow of the combat.

That's the kind of response I was looking for, thank you.

I agree, that could work, and again, it would matter what they are going for. If they're trying to speed up the combat and raise the potential skill bar a bit higher, it would be a great decision. If they're trying to differentiate responding to a grab from responding to a strike, it might not necessarily work as they already use time block taps for counters.

Half assed? Really? This is one of the better looking 3DS titles coming out right now, whether you find it Castlevania or not. I haven't bothered to listen or pay attention to IGN in years, their ignorance hasn't changed one bit.

I can understand why some would be upset it's not an IGAVania, but to call it "half assed" is saying the team behind it didn't even try. I vehemently disagree with that assertion, especially for a studio who hasn't made a 2D game. This is one of the best looking efforts I've seen.

The IGNers in charge of commenting on Castlevania are tards, to be completely honest. Have you read their LoS review? It didn't even bother reviewing the game, it just spent the course of the review talking about how it wasn't a Metroidvania.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #2287 on: June 06, 2012, 04:04:43 PM »

Right?

It's just the beginning and it was just combat we have to see more and 6:00 maybe the time to see it. at least with out all the choppy stuff from the feed from gs and such.

The IGNers in charge of commenting on Castlevania are tards, to be completely honest. Have you read their LoS review? It didn't even bother reviewing the game, it just spent the course of the review talking about how it wasn't a Metroidvania.

Did I just not say Damon Hatfield? "-Castlevania" Guy?  :rollseyes:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:06:52 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2288 on: June 06, 2012, 04:09:53 PM »
It's just the beginning and it was just combat we have to see more and 6:00 maybe the time to see it. at least with out all the choppy stuff from the feed from gs and such.

Did I just not say Damon Hatfield? "-Castlevania" Guy?  :rollseyes:

Wasn't everyone calling him Damon Hatefield when that review came out?

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2289 on: June 06, 2012, 04:10:29 PM »
+1
Not the least bit surprised, they really need to start making the demos at E3 playable for everyone for a limited time. It should have been become a mandatory thing years ago.It sounds like you were expecting this to be a pure Classicvania.
Yes, I was expecting them to have that feel, actually. Maybe with some backtracking, but a classicvania. Instead, I've got empty corridors (seriously, there's one section without a monster for almost 20 seconds), no loading times between the transitions (I can understand why this happens though).

Despite knowing the combat and music would be boring beforehand, I was still expecting them to at least get the exploration aspects right, the platforming right. And then: BANG: "Press R to swing". "Press B to continue swinging". Seriously, why is it difficult to press forward/backward to swing. How much difficult is to implement some type of swing physics?

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2290 on: June 06, 2012, 04:11:08 PM »
Wasn't everyone calling him Damon Hatefield when that review came out?

Yeah found no need to say that the proof was in the pudding. But the -cv part, that got me

Also fan interviews yay....

Konami E3 2012 | Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate Fan Interview
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:13:27 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)

Offline MKKhanzo

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #2291 on: June 06, 2012, 04:11:47 PM »
Not the least bit surprised, they really need to start making the demos at E3 playable for everyone for a limited time. It should have been become a mandatory thing years ago.It sounds like you were expecting this to be a pure Classicvania.

Well they labeled it as "going back to its roots" and blah blah blah and we are getting a 2D GoW clone (sorry but that sequence when killing that boss was.... GoW...) I WASNT expecting a Metroidvania/Igavania (God I hate to call the games like that) but we are basically receiving the same troll game as LoS and its "reboot liberties". Cornell an old man that looked like a dwarf, Brauner and Olrox two savage hulking vampires, Frankie a mechanical spider. Dracula a Belmont.

What will be now? Oh wait, they already did it: Dracula and Death going to night clubs and riding cabs to gather forces to fight Satan.

I hope teh music fares better, LoS had almost no music and repeated 6 tracks in all levels, making them EMPTY of personality.

Sorry I DONT hate Coxvania/Kojimavania (God stop) but the trolling of them is too much. It seems that THEY (MS) really hated IGA and his work and said: "I have come to put an end to this"
I guess that all IGA haters are rejoicing now. Have fun with your fancy Belmont Dracula and rat stealth.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2292 on: June 06, 2012, 04:13:30 PM »
+1
I like to think that maybe it's not perfect , but at the same time I think some IGN members do not like this reboot remember damon hatfield?

If a video game is flawed, that's fine. But as a video game "journalist" (and I use the term very lightly) you shouldn't be sitting in a podcast saying that a game is "awful" after only playing a demo. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned and silly but I'd prefer if they'd elaborate a little, or maybe say something like: "We tried the Castlevania demo and we weren't that impressed. The game is still many months away so we can't say more at this point." and then explain a little why they didn't like the demo. Not just "This is an awful, awful game. We want IGA back!". Also, they said something like: "If you've played Lords of Shadow you already know this too is gonna be a bad game". Say what? Not everyone hated Lords of Shadow, and yet they say something like that. I just think it's so unprofessional and downright childish.

Though maybe I'm just annoyed at IGN in general.

And like I said, maybe they're right and MoF is indeed an awful game. I just don't think it's THAT bloody awful.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2293 on: June 06, 2012, 04:15:01 PM »
Sorry I DONT hate Coxvania/Kojimavania (God stop) but the trolling of them is too much. It seems that THEY (MS) really hated IGA and his work and said: "I have come to put an end to this"
It IS a reboot. They can do whatever they want. People/older fans can like it or not.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2294 on: June 06, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
Yes, I was expecting them to have that feel, actually. Maybe with some backtracking, but a classicvania. Instead, I've got empty corridors (seriously, there's one section without a monster for almost 20 seconds), no loading times between the transitions (I can understand why this happens though).

Despite knowing the combat and music would be boring beforehand, I was still expecting them to at least get the exploration aspects right, the platforming right. And then: BANG: "Press R to swing". "Press B to continue swinging". Seriously, why is it difficult to press forward/backward to swing. How much difficult is to implement some type of swing physics?

Having just been playing SotN last night, I have to say the empty corridors thing probably comes from their desire to borrow from the Metroidvania layout.

Seriously, I'm surprised how many empty areas there are in that game.

Also, I could have sworn LoS had swing physics despite the "R to Grapple". That, or my memory is going. Wouldn't mind getting rid of that stupid text, though. It either needs to disappear or get a lot smaller.

Tags: .....? 

anything