Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848676 times)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #2295 on: June 06, 2012, 04:17:32 PM »
+2
Well they labeled it as "going back to its roots" and blah blah blah and we are getting a 2D GoW clone (sorry but that sequence when killing that boss was.... GoW...) I WASNT expecting a Metroidvania/Igavania (God I hate to call the games like that) but we are basically receiving the same troll game as LoS and its "reboot liberties". Cornell an old man that looked like a dwarf, Brauner and Olrox two savage hulking vampires, Frankie a mechanical spider. Dracula a Belmont.

What will be now? Oh wait, they already did it: Dracula and Death going to night clubs and riding cabs to gather forces to fight Satan.

I hope teh music fares better, LoS had almost no music and repeated 6 tracks in all levels, making them EMPTY of personality.

Sorry I DONT hate Coxvania/Kojimavania (God stop) but the trolling of them is too much. It seems that THEY (MS) really hated IGA and his work and said: "I have come to put an end to this"

God of war..... Dang it you just went there.  >:(

If a video game is flawed, that's fine. But as a video game "journalist" (and I use the term very lightly) you shouldn't be sitting in a podcast saying that a game is "awful" after only playing a demo. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned and silly but I'd prefer if they'd elaborate a little, or maybe say something like: "We tried the Castlevania demo and we weren't that impressed. The game is still many months away so we can't say more at this point." and then explain a little why they didn't like the demo. Not just "This is an awful, awful game. We want IGA back!". Also, they said something like: "If you've played Lords of Shadow you already know this too is gonna be a bad game". Say what? Not everyone hated Lords of Shadow, and yet they say something like that. I just think it's so unprofessional and downright childish.

Though maybe I'm just annoyed at IGN in general.

And like I said, maybe they're right and MoF is indeed an awful game. I just don't think it's THAT bloody awful.

Like I said ign members not to big on LoS I remember when Cox was pissed for not giving the game a fair chance I feel that the next two game will be like that as well. Also being more prefessional never hurt anyone.

Edit new gameplay video

Igor Taunts Gameplay - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate

Acquire the Boomerang Gameplay - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:21:10 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2296 on: June 06, 2012, 04:21:09 PM »
Well im gonna just sit back fasten my seatbelt, this might be a nasty ride.

Offline MKKhanzo

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #2297 on: June 06, 2012, 04:23:37 PM »
God of war..... Dang it you just went there.  >:(

I had to!  ;D No really, just give Gabriel/Trevor/Simon 2 chains, paint them red and shave their heads and there you go! Light+Hard attack, Evasive roll, block, timed block (parry), double jump, launchers, air combos, magic, orbs dropped by enemies, QTE and finishing moves, wall climbing, buy combo/habilities with the orbs/exp released from the enemies, Titan fights, small life lost when falling on a pit, "collec 3 XXX and get your life/magic meter up a bit", life/magic fountains, need I go more?
I guess that all IGA haters are rejoicing now. Have fun with your fancy Belmont Dracula and rat stealth.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #2298 on: June 06, 2012, 04:26:48 PM »
+2
I had to!  ;D No really, just give Gabriel/Trevor/Simon 2 chains, paint them red and shave their heads and there you go! Light+Hard attack, Evasive roll, block, timed block (parry), double jump, launchers, air combos, magic, orbs dropped by enemies, QTE and finishing moves, wall climbing, buy combo/habilities with the orbs/exp released from the enemies, Titan fights, small life lost when falling on a pit, "collec 3 XXX and get your life/magic meter up a bit", life/magic fountains, need I go more?

I hope you realize God of War invented none of that, right?

I mean, really...double jump? Come on.

EDIT: Like, Lament of Innocence had half of those before the first God of War was even released.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:29:19 PM by e105beta »

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2299 on: June 06, 2012, 04:27:03 PM »
+2
small life lost when falling on a pit

Falling in pit's are insta kill in God of War. Just pointing that out.

Offline meanguyjones

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #2300 on: June 06, 2012, 04:28:50 PM »

Cool, so you don't know shit about God of War either.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2301 on: June 06, 2012, 04:30:44 PM »
Yeah.  I get the guy's point but all of these aspects were done before.

If anything, GoW took some aspects from various games, so now when those games ask for 'em back... well, there ya go.
I used to swing with the whip back in the 1990's.  Remember Super CVIV? :P
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #2302 on: June 06, 2012, 04:33:45 PM »

Onimusha had soul collecting before any of these action games, dmc had launch combos, cv chains, and the setting well laets just say that Rygar and it's rainbow ending did it before.

God of war did nothing new and it's nothing special

So that god of war thing you just did is very obnoxious not cool man it's annoying and all facts lead up to that game doing nothin new even qtes

I do not -1 people but this one deserves it.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:37:41 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2303 on: June 06, 2012, 04:34:33 PM »

If anything, GoW took some aspects from various games, so now when those games ask for 'em back... well, there ya go.
It didn't suck back then too. IT HAD SKILLS. LoS: MoF copies the worst kind of whip swinging, reminiscent from they own game/God of War, that have some segments like that.

God, how I hate automatic segments...

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2304 on: June 06, 2012, 04:34:40 PM »
Yeah found no need to say that the proof was in the pudding. But the -cv part, that got me

Also fan interviews yay....

Konami E3 2012 | Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate Fan Interview

Question about interview: Why is it that if it doesn't have Metroidvania's [occasionally obsessive-compulsive] customization options, it's "steamlined" and more like "older Castlevanias." Just because an apple can be green doesn't mean it's more like a watermelon than a red apple.

And earlier, I agree with what was essentially said--the swing mechanics in both LoS and Mirror of Fate are nowhere near as dynamic as Super Castlevania IV, and really should be. It's been, what, 21 years since IV? And all this business of a double-jump and jumping super high is something that has plagued Castlevania for a while now. It and no death pits really cheapen the platforming's consequence.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2305 on: June 06, 2012, 04:36:18 PM »

Or Lament. In all seriousness.
Light + Heavy attacks? Check
Blocking? Check
Dodge Roll? Check
Double Jump? Check
Air Combo? Check

And you don't buy combos with the orbs. The orbs give you magic. You buy combos with the

Experience? Check

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2306 on: June 06, 2012, 04:37:54 PM »
+1
Question about interview: Why is it that if it doesn't have Metroidvania's [occasionally obsessive-compulsive] customization options, it's "steamlined" and more like "older Castlevanias." Just because an apple can be green doesn't mean it's more like a watermelon than a red apple.

And earlier, I agree with what was essentially said--the swing mechanics in both LoS and Mirror of Fate are nowhere near as dynamic as Super Castlevania IV, and really should be. It's been, what, 21 years since IV? And all this business of a double-jump and jumping super high is something that has plagued Castlevania for a while now. It and no death pits really cheapen the platforming's consequence.
I'm 100% sure they don't even undertand what makes a good platformer at all, they just shoehorned LoS on a 2D format.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2307 on: June 06, 2012, 04:38:34 PM »
It didn't suck back then too. IT HAD SKILLS. LoS: MoF copies the worst kind of whip swinging, reminiscent from they own game/God of War, that have some segments like that.

God, how I hate automatic segments...

The problem is LoS copies GoW so blatantly.  Sure other games had some of those mechanics before. But MS just basically copied the formula to a T and comes off looking (and playing) like a clone.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2308 on: June 06, 2012, 04:40:07 PM »
+2
Or Lament. In all seriousness.
Light + Heavy attacks? Check
Blocking? Check
Dodge Roll? Check
Double Jump? Check
Air Combo? Check

And you don't buy combos with the orbs. The orbs give you magic. You buy combos with the

Experience? Check

Last time I checked LoI had no buying with combos it just kind of happened I remember the screen going all dark and pausing the battle saying you got whip combo 2 or something.

The problem is LoS copies GoW so blatantly.  Sure other games had some of those mechanics before. But MS just basically copied the formula to a T and comes off looking (and playing) like a clone.

Sure whip combos, swinging from a chain, flame whip, ahh to hell with this even gametrailers in their god of war interview said that a cv game should play like that, their point. My point GoW might be a well polished product but it's not orginal either but it get bullspit praise while anyother action game might  recieve the boot like LoS  to a degree because it might have a game mechanic that god of war did not even invent come on now that is really dumb.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:44:55 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2309 on: June 06, 2012, 04:42:12 PM »
+1
Last time I checked LoI had no buying with combos it just kind of happened I remember the screen going all dark and pausing the battle saying you got whip combo 2 or something.

No, but actually purchasing the combos with your experience vs gaining as you leveled is such a small, small detail.

If that's becoming a legitimate argument, then all fighting games are ripoffs of each other because they all have QCF attacks.

Tags: .....? 

anything