Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848455 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #2340 on: June 06, 2012, 06:07:58 PM »
Game looks pretty, but mediocre (lol at the life regaining pot at the end, LoS/GoW all over again    :'(

I can only hope that the other characters have very different combat mechanics than Trevor. Also, when I saw the "treasure chests" that have the life power up essence it screamed GoW. It's not a major thing, but having something that doesn't look almost identical to GoW would have been a nice touch. Oh well, at least you don't have to mash a button to open it.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2341 on: June 06, 2012, 06:09:05 PM »
It's a downright shame that people are still trying to call LOS and it's upcoming games a GOW rip off. Anyone who feels that way must not have noticed how much GOW borrowed from CV in the first place. It's also hilarious that these same people who make this gripe say that they are hopefull that Mirror of fate will be a "Metriodvania." Just think about that for a second, and ask yourself what the "original" game you were hoping for really was?

MS have proven themselves in my book, and I think these new games look great. It's a good thing that they have started their own storyline. By making their own story they show respect to other CV developers from the past, unlike IGA who felt entitled to strike games from the record. Does the title Castlevania Legends and the character Sonia Belmont ring a bell?

Have a little faith and let Mercury Steam make Castlevania their own. Clearly a certain developer in the past felt he could take that liberty.

These guys know they are doing, and these games will be great. They have also warmed new players up to Castlevania, which was much needed. I have a couple friends who shrugged off CV games for years until LOS came out.
It's downright shame people always use this same point to try to defend the game. Seriously, only blind people can't see GoW influences in LoS. Not only GoW, Ninja Gaiden and Uncharted influences are there too (fuck, even the new Tomb Raider is influenced by Uncharted, even though Uncharted was inspired by Tomb Raider, partially, lol). If GoW borrowed influences from somewhere else (and IT BORROWED, like DMC), it don't really matters. Are people really bothered to have a GoW clone?

Seriously,  having influences of these game isn't what make the game good or bad, but trying to say otherwise just because you're trying to defend is annoying.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #2342 on: June 06, 2012, 06:11:25 PM »

In the US version of CV Adventure, Chris WAS Simon.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #2343 on: June 06, 2012, 06:12:22 PM »
I get this to an extent. I mean, I've enjoyed parts of some of each, but I always lean back toward one vision or another. Are you saying that, for instance, if Castlevania games were all like Judgment, it'd still be fundamentally Castlevania to you?

The series would be horrible, but it would still be Castlevania, yes

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2344 on: June 06, 2012, 06:14:24 PM »
I think everyone has an unspoken agreement that the less we speak of Judgment, the better.

Judgment is not awful, but it's superfluous. Hey, since we've been talking about Castlevania's history alongside Mirror of Fate, did anyone know that the Nintendo Power article listed the Nintendo 64 Castlevanias as the "low points in the series." Someone is getting a letter.

PS: The 3DS conference is a riot right now. Lots of bad jokes.

PPS: "Mario and Dracula." Castlevania video now up and being talked about: http://e3.nintendo.com/

DAVE COX ON STAGE! Alucard confirmed!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 06:18:07 PM by RichterB »

Offline ZenTzen

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #2345 on: June 06, 2012, 06:15:52 PM »
So Trevor really is Alucard?

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #2346 on: June 06, 2012, 06:16:36 PM »
PS: The 3DS conference is a riot right now. Lots of bad jokes.

Lords of Shadow? More like Lor3ds of Shadow, am I right guys?

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2347 on: June 06, 2012, 06:16:51 PM »
+1
It's on now, they started with Castlevania. But it looks like the short trailer...hopefully gameplay will follow...nvm. Alucard at the end of the trailer! Hooray! And now gameplay...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 06:19:39 PM by Kamirine »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2348 on: June 06, 2012, 06:18:22 PM »
+1
Dave Cox talking right now.
e3.nintendo.com
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Vrakanox

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2349 on: June 06, 2012, 06:18:45 PM »
link to the 3ds conference pls :0

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2350 on: June 06, 2012, 06:21:01 PM »
+1
link to the 3ds conference pls :0
Check the link above you. :)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #2351 on: June 06, 2012, 06:26:38 PM »
No, but actually purchasing the combos with your experience vs gaining as you leveled is such a small, small detail.

If that's becoming a legitimate argument, then all fighting games are ripoffs of each other because they all have QCF attacks.

I believe that was settled in Capcom V. Data East.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Vrakanox

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2352 on: June 06, 2012, 06:28:18 PM »
David Cox was pretty cool there, same with the other interview with gamespot, I respect him more that he's trying to appeal to the hardcore Castlevania fanbase. These fan comments on the nintendo steam are pissing me off, all this, screw castlevania nonsense, damn heathens.

Offline kingu

• Dragon
  • Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
  • You should have saying!
    • Awards
« Reply #2353 on: June 06, 2012, 06:28:39 PM »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

? ? ?

EDIT: To whoever, -1'd me, you should post a response. Tell me exactly how those two look the same, because really, I want to know.
you're picking and choosing specific images so you can be validated in your own mind.

look at trevor's exaggerated proportions, the vibrant colored armor on that horned monster, the cartoony spiked shield, the general aesthetic.

Apparently games aren't allowed to have more than three colors or elaborate, stylized suits of armor anymore, because WoW totally invented that stuff and no one's allowed to do anything remotely similar to anything ever.
cool strawman imho

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #2354 on: June 06, 2012, 06:29:14 PM »
Alucard was revealed in the extended trailer.

Tags: .....?