Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848683 times)

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #2520 on: June 07, 2012, 12:51:51 PM »
+1
If we end up feeling sympathy for this incarnation of Dracula then I'm all for it because it harkens back to the original novel. However, I'm having a bit of trouble with all the Belmonts having Scottish accents.
The whole "Dracula Story" is an interesting spin. This universe is almost the opposite of the classic canon, which was more Belmont/good guy driven. This one's more Dracula driven, and while the Belmonts seem to have some deep connection(and their story will be told, to some extent), main focus will always be Gabriel/Dracula.

Though, I'm with you with the Scottish accent thing. To the point that, since they are so vague with WHERE LoS games actually take place(where the classic canon never beat around the bush that it took place mainly in Romania), I'm starting to think they are set somewhere in Great Britain.  ;D

Or it could be the Hollywood joke about giving British accents to people of "older European set periods". Kinda like how, when they make movies about ancient Greece or Rome, for some reason, everybody's talking like they are from England(even, in some case, American actors adopt the English accent in these roles) and are Shakespearean actors.  :)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #2521 on: June 07, 2012, 01:00:24 PM »
I think LoS2 is definitely going to have the "present day" in some of its gameplay from this interview.

This is entirely possible since we really only saw one cut scene and no game play at all.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #2522 on: June 07, 2012, 01:01:16 PM »
+1
From what I'm seeing, the press seems very confused as to whether this is Metroidvania or not.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2523 on: June 07, 2012, 01:02:01 PM »
Also, having played LoS and seeing the upcoming plot for MoF and LoS2, I find this a much more compelling story for the Belmonts. Sure, Leon got worked over by Matthias, but it's over 300 years until the Belmonts actually encounter Dracula again. Realistically, by the time Trevor kills Dracula, he's just carrying out great-granddad's feud. In LoS, Trevor has a personal beef with Dracula: he, his father, killed his mother. Following this up, Simon has a personal beef with Dracula: he, his grandfather, killed his mother and supposedly his father, and even by the time any future Belmonts role around, they're always sworn against Dracula by the fact that he's their progenitor. It is the bloodline's duty to wipe the very literal stain from their lineage.

I've been meaning to point this out, but that is part of the plot of "Van Helsing".
"Stuff and things."

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #2524 on: June 07, 2012, 01:04:43 PM »
I just want this game to sell well it does it even need to sell 1,000,000 copies perhaps 500,000-700,000

Alongside Incredible reviews. I pray for this to happen I have a gut feeling that stupid reviews will not only give this game a low score for no good reason at all IGN,GS,GT,DT(mostly IGN they don't even like it from the podcast and I if I recall it's not IGA Crap so boo kind of mentality, I recall the LoS reviews from the others. GS was like to bad it got to much things from other games and not be it's own thing,but to mesh everything together and have it not fall apart is something, and GT was like it's does have it's moments it's just too bad that you have to go through a bit of tedium to get their and I recall no maps, and as for destructroid Jim Sterling can suck a giant purple dildo for all I care guy rates games down so much it's unbelievable  :o  ) ,but affect sales as well if it's less than a nine it's no good  :rollseyes: .Yeah these next two games can be nothing short of excellence and that is what I hope and it seems that cv gathered a strong presence this year so who knows right  :)

EDIT: My eyes deceive me  :o

(click to show/hide)

I haven't seen Castlevania this much in the public eye since the originals. It's quite something

The whole "Dracula Story" is an interesting spin. This universe is almost the opposite of the classic canon, which was more Belmont/good guy driven. This one's more Dracula driven, and while the Belmonts seem to have some deep connection(and their story will be told, to some extent), main focus will always be Gabriel/Dracula.

Though, I'm with you with the Scottish accent thing. To the point that, since they are so vague with WHERE LoS games actually take place(where the classic canon never beat around the bush that it took place mainly in Romania), I'm starting to think they are set somewhere in Great Britain.  ;D

Or it could be the Hollywood joke about giving British accents to people of "older European set periods". Kinda like how, when they make movies about ancient Greece or Rome, for some reason, everybody's talking like they are from England(even, in some case, American actors adopt the English accent in these roles) and are Shakespearean actors.  :)

I think they're Scottish because of the name. Belmont is of French origin, but it's also a prominent name in the United Kingdom, so while Dracula may eventually take residence in "Romania" if they ever decide to name anything, it makes sense that his origins would be something a bit more Western Europe.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2525 on: June 07, 2012, 01:07:27 PM »
I think after the end of LOS series will go into the hands of the different developers, much like what had happened with Silent Hill. Probably those games would be unrelated to Dracula or any peviously established timeline. It's too early to tell and besides Konami can force MS to change they decision, like they did with Kojima and Metal Gear.
Personally I think 3 games is just not enough to the story that spans for almost a 1000 years.

I am OK with all changes in LOS-timeline, because I usually never let myself be aggravated by such miniscule thing as changes in the ANOTHER timeline. If MS messed up in Old Canon (more than IGA did, I mean), the I probably would be pissed off. As of now I enjoy the ride and really love that LOS-canon doesn't rely to much on the Old Timeline. There would not be fan in that and it always interesting to see another take on the old story. Merging / separating characters is OK in my book. As long as it kept for the new timeline only.

On note, I think Old Canon shouldn't be called "IGA's timeline". He did many things to it, but general chronolgy existed before him, even if it wasn't really all that clear or rich.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #2526 on: June 07, 2012, 01:08:19 PM »
If we end up feeling sympathy for this incarnation of Dracula then I'm all for it because it harkens back to the original novel.

You must be confusing the book with Coppola's movie.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #2527 on: June 07, 2012, 01:17:11 PM »
+1
From what I'm seeing, the press seems very confused as to whether this is Metroidvania or not.
It's just LoS in 2D with interconnecting paths.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2528 on: June 07, 2012, 01:24:34 PM »
+1
Well crap, this preview isn't exactly glowing. Disappointing to hear. Maybe the accolades the game's received at the show so far say otherwise, but damn, that's still discouraging.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Vrakanox

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2529 on: June 07, 2012, 01:31:07 PM »
+1
The new Alucard looks 5 times as Final Fantasy and 10 times as heavy metal. I think I like.  8)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #2530 on: June 07, 2012, 02:01:17 PM »
Well crap, this preview isn't exactly glowing. Disappointing to hear. Maybe the accolades the game's received at the show so far say otherwise, but damn, that's still discouraging.

I counter this with a new award from gameinformer and the front page of E3 daily

(click to show/hide)

EDIT maybe he is not used to it some games have awkward controls, but from the videos I watched the controls seem very fluid so I really do not believe him or the ign one so  :P to them. In my opinion LoS had a "awkward" movement thing going on but at least they worked, but the game is still in development so it can get better down the line not every game can get a positive, but overall the game is shaping up to be a must have 3ds title.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 02:17:44 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #2531 on: June 07, 2012, 02:18:42 PM »
..., or a CV-LIKE game with a ninja in feudal Japan trying to kill a Spirit Emperor,...

I believe they called that Ninja Ryukenden(J)/Ninja Gaiden(U) and was then rebooted as Ninja Gaiden. :P
"Stuff and things."

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 02:40:35 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline symphonyofthorns

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #2533 on: June 07, 2012, 02:39:35 PM »
+1
The new Alucard looks 5 times as Final Fantasy and 10 times as heavy metal. I think I like.  8)

I agree. I love the Alucard from SotN, but this Alucard looks cool too.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #2534 on: June 07, 2012, 02:39:40 PM »
I think they're Scottish because of the name. Belmont is of French origin, but it's also a prominent name in the United Kingdom, so while Dracula may eventually take residence in "Romania" if they ever decide to name anything, it makes sense that his origins would be something a bit more Western Europe.

Maybe but it still makes no sense for his descendants to have it too unless the game takes place in Scotland.
"Stuff and things."

Tags: .....? 

anything