Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848664 times)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #2850 on: June 12, 2012, 04:57:52 PM »
+5
Only you castlevania nerds and the minority thinks that it's better.But the majority today thinks that orchestral music today gives you more of the feeling of "Epic" and captures more of the emotion of the character and the battles.

Oh please. Where the fuck is this "majority" you speak of? Almost everyone I've talked to online & in real life feel that the LoS soundtrack was shit compared to other soundtracks in the series. Just because it's good for a Hollywood movie doesn't mean it's good for a video game, ESPECIALLY when the franchise is well-known for its history of excellent soundtracks.

the LoS-soundtrack-lovers are the minority. You got it twisted, son.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:03:49 PM by Crisis »

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #2851 on: June 12, 2012, 05:00:12 PM »
Prunyuu. The interview says a lot of what we already know (the difficulties of translating the LoS-world onto the 3DS, combat, "metroidvania" elements, comparisons to CVIII, etc.). Scenario lasts about 12 hours. With magic, Trevor uses both light & shadow, while Gabriel only uses the latter. Simon invokes spirits (ala Maria). Alucard's abilities aren't mentioned. You can play with the characters "according to the moment in history in which you are, but in turn, is not necessary that you play to the history in chronological order." Also, there will be "SpotPass," although they wouldn't elaborate further.

Now for the most important part, music:

Oscar Araujo says that "Classical music of the saga did not hit with the epic twist that gave Mercury Steam and chose to give a different touch and redo it."
Oscar, with a cinematic past, explained it thus: the activity of the player causes the problem of de-sync with action. The music has to convey the emotion that requires depending on the time that the player takes to solve the problems.

The games seeks background music, in the Mercury Steam Castlevania opted for melodic music. Enric Álvarez explained it thus: "we wanted the player to think in the character and how it feels, not in the environment in which it moves." That the music spoke of character and mood. "We told Oscar and he composed this extraordinary music that gets exactly that."

So.. expect more of the same Hollywood-esque style. There might be 1 or 2 classic tunes, maybe 3, but that's it. Blah.

As long as the music's good, I don't care if its remixed classic tunes or not. What worries me is that those poorly translated sentences leave room for more "We composed 10 songs, let's play them over and over again"

Probably that "Lost soul" creature that's suppose to play a part in the story.

Also it seems that
(click to show/hide)

Seems likely

Stop.

I have NO PROBLEM with orchestral music; I'm not talking about whether the songs have been made through machines or are recorded instruments/voices or whatever.

I have a problem with Araujo's COMPOSITION.  It is completely unmemorable.

I dunno, I find myself randomly humming Final Confrontation. That is an awesome track.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:06:47 PM by e105beta »

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #2852 on: June 12, 2012, 05:03:22 PM »
Auto quote for new page (God I hate being the last post hahah)

I could translate that in a matter of days. Great article, good insight.
A little interesting snippet (not litteral)
In Lords of Shadow, we intentionally made the world more colorful, we wanted to show how it was before Dracula (but now that he's in the world) we are making LoS2 and MoF darker, really dark because the. current story demands it

Also, they say that the LoS series is the Castlevania tale told from Dracula's eyes, they felt it was the natural thing because (I quote) It was ridiculous that A series that goes around Dracula had him relegated to 5mins before the end game only to have him killed and resurrected in 100 years.
They also say that MoF central tale is all about the Belmont family.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:18:50 PM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Offline Redgrave

• Eu sunt dracul!
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2853 on: June 12, 2012, 05:06:50 PM »
Oh please. Where the fuck is this "majority" you speak of? Almost everyone I've talked to online & in real life feel that the LoS soundtrack was shit compared to other soundtracks in the series. Just because it's good for a Hollywood movie doesn't mean it's good for a video game, ESPECIALLY when the franchise is well-known for its history of excellent soundtracks.

the LoS-soundtrack-lovers are the minority. You got it twisted, son.

I'm not just saying the LOS soundtracks.I'm talking about all orchestral music out there such as the OSTs of Mass effect which composed by Two steps from hell and the OSTs by X-ray dogs.It's fine.I understand of how some castlevania fans don't like the OST in LoS being a typical hollywood OSTs.Everbody has their own preferences and biases.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:10:40 PM by Redgrave »

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2854 on: June 12, 2012, 05:07:52 PM »
In Lords of Shadow, we intentionally made the wolrd more colorful, we wanted to show how it was before Dracula, but now that he's in the world we are making dark, really dark, we want to show his influence

CALLED IT!

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2855 on: June 12, 2012, 05:16:51 PM »
+4
I'm not just saying the LOS soundtracks.I'm talking about all orchestral music out there such as the OSTs of Mass effect which composed by Two steps from hell and the OSTs by X-ray dogs.It's fine.I understand of how castlevania fans don't like the OST in LoS being a typical hollywood OSTs.Everbody has their own preferences and biases.

Your comment was pretty much "you castlevania nerds cant appreciate EPIC soundtracks like everyone else," which was an incredibly ignorant generalization on your part. And no one was even talking about the OMGEPIC soundtracks of other games in the first place.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2856 on: June 12, 2012, 05:21:37 PM »
+2
Your comment was pretty much "you castlevania nerds cant appreciate EPIC soundtracks like everyone else," which was an incredibly ignorant generalization on your part. And no one was even talking about the OMGEPIC soundtracks of other games in the first place.

I guess some of  the newer fans don't appreciate the traditional Castlevania music like most of us do.  Hollywood movie soundtracks are good for some games, but not Castlevania.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2857 on: June 12, 2012, 05:24:31 PM »
+5
Only you castlevania nerds and the minority thinks that it's better.But the majority today thinks that orchestral music today gives you more of the feeling of "Epic" and captures more of the emotion of the character and the battles.Don't get me wrong,i also like the old castlevania OSTs but it doesn't give me the feeling of being in an "Epic" journey and i only feel that they are just good OSTs but that's it.But i do understand why you have raged when you heard that he says it's "effeminate".
I think the word "epic" is loosing it's meaning nowadays. It's being tossed around as freely as "Emo" was a few years ago.

Also, you gotta wonder what standard people are using as a template to compare what IS "epic" and what isn't, because even movie soundtracks, there have been really good soundtracks where rock and synth have been worked into the scores. You'd have the strings blazing, and then suddenly an electric guitar starts to rip through and carry the melody. Movie compositions are probably just as varied as video game compositions. To say one particular sound is more cinematic, "Hollywood" or the definitive "movie sound" would be wrong.

Offline Redgrave

• Eu sunt dracul!
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #2858 on: June 12, 2012, 05:29:09 PM »

My actual point is this.Let's say there are normal gamers today out there who haven't heard castlevania neither the music.Then lets have a comparison of lords of shadow OST and the old Castlevania OSTs.Who do you think they would choose given the popularity of the genre of the orchestral soundtrack? But am i saying the old castlevania OSTs sucks? No.

Edit: As i said,i did like the the old castlevania OSTs and i think the orchestral music fits right for lords of shadow.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2859 on: June 12, 2012, 05:34:30 PM »
Too bad they did a shitty job in telling Dracula's story. I don't find it any better than the older one origin (LoI).

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2860 on: June 12, 2012, 05:34:50 PM »
For the record, I've said that Belmont's Theme is my favorite track in LoS. Does it have that EPIC sound? Of course. If Araujo somehow makes the soundtrack in MoF/LoS2 as memorable as this, then I'd love it. All the other tracks, however, (sans Music Box Vampire Killer) are forgettable and don't evoke any feeling(s) other than "wow, i wish i was listening to Psycho Warrior instead.. REAL CV music"

Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge Music (Game Boy) - Psycho Warrior (Rock Castle)

and, redgrave, there's actually some truth to what you say. it makes sense that they'd want to cater to Mass-Effect/[other game] fans instead, rather than old-school Castlevania fans.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:41:08 PM by Crisis »

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2861 on: June 12, 2012, 05:35:21 PM »
+2
Can we stop arguing over this?

I'd actually, you know, at the very least, want to hear the game soundtrack before I start getting into a big dick measuring contest over whose music is better and whose music has more fans.

People like the old music, people like the new music, and the groups aren't mutually exclusive. How about we talk about Simon? He's cool. How do you think his animals are going to play out? Like Maria's or different?

EDIT: -1? Really? I guess I forget this forum is too full of game fan angst to have any positive discussion
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:47:15 PM by e105beta »

Offline Redgrave

• Eu sunt dracul!
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #2863 on: June 12, 2012, 05:38:46 PM »
+3
My actual point is this.Let's say there are normal gamers today out there who haven't heard castlevania neither the music.Then lets have a comparison of lords of shadow OST and the old Castlevania OSTs.Who do you think they would choose given the popularity of the genre of the orchestral soundtrack? But am i saying the old castlevania OSTs sucks? No.

Edit: As i said,i did like the the old castlevania OSTs and i think the orchestral music fits right for lords of shadow.

Eh, given how catchy the old style CV music is vs how samey and "backgroundish" orchestral soundtracks are, I'd think people would go with catchy. That's why most people listen to rock or pop with distinct and memorable riffs and strict musical structure in their spare time and not orchestral stuff.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2864 on: June 12, 2012, 05:41:55 PM »
Eh, given how catchy the old style CV music is vs how samey and "backgroundish" orchestral soundtracks are, I'd think people would go with catchy. That's why most people listen to rock or pop with distinct and memorable riffs and strict musical structure in their spare time and not orchestral stuff.
I guess we can't argue rock/pop stuff are more popular. And considering how catchy CV music was, I can undertand why people don't like the new compositions.

Tags: .....? 

anything