Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848844 times)

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #3180 on: June 28, 2012, 03:51:03 PM »
Jesus, the framerate looks absolutely terrible, so much slowdown. The jumping looks clunkier than I remember too.

Pretty sure the music and SFX are all just placeholders, they're ripped straight out of LoS. There's no way they're going to use them all again.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #3181 on: June 28, 2012, 04:17:02 PM »
Music is not Lord's. They took some themes and reworked them (you can hear new drums in the boss batle theme for example).
I think LoS score will have a major influence in the other 2 games music..it's their version of "reusing classic tunes" lol :sadpanda:

Edit: Yep there is some reusing but less than you would imagine
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:21:05 PM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3182 on: June 28, 2012, 04:23:52 PM »
+2
ANYWHO... to get this thread back on track

Check out this 27 minute gameplay footage of the demo, you can actually hear the music very clearly in this one and it sounds like they just took the Lords of Shadow OST and stuck here. Disappointing:

Castlevania: Mirror of Fate - 27 Minutes Full Demo footage

Stock music is in place for the real one. Not to mention Trevors real voice is not there, yet Gabriels voice is being used.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:29:57 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #3183 on: June 28, 2012, 05:40:45 PM »
The blame falls squarely on Other M's director.

Even Nintendo hates him. See this story written in a Japanese only Mii storytelling program by Shigeru Miyamoto and Reggie: Click to see
Looks more like some good natured ribbing between co-workers to me.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #3184 on: June 28, 2012, 06:13:14 PM »
Well, that demo video pretty much looks like all the complaints I've heard.
Combat looks tedious except for when he used the glaive. Having the sub-weapons be that strong makes the combat cross look even weaker by comparison than it does on it's own.
The whip swing controls are fucking stupid. It's like they added an extra button press just to give you something else to do. They should change it to press hold to grip and release to let go. Also the animation for the whip swinging looks really clunky. Trevor's jumps are waaay too floaty too.
I continue not to be very excited at this point.

Oh! And, seriously, those barrels need less HP.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3185 on: June 28, 2012, 06:34:45 PM »
So what are the chances that the framerate, music placement, monster hp and control issues will be fixed by the time of release? (keep in mind that the release is Rumored to be late September, nearly two months from now)

I wanna stay hopeful and say....slim.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 06:39:20 PM by Kingshango »

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #3186 on: June 28, 2012, 07:01:52 PM »
think we'll get to download that demo sometime soon?

i'm gonna have fun exploring that castle. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:09:46 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #3187 on: June 28, 2012, 07:10:27 PM »
So what are the chances that the framerate, music placement, monster hp and control issues will be fixed by the time of release? (keep in mind that the release is Rumored to be late September, nearly two months from now)

I wanna stay hopeful and say....slim.
I don't think very well at all. The game is due out this fall, and MGS3DS looked just as bad before release.

Nothing wrong with hoping for the best though.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3188 on: June 28, 2012, 10:23:16 PM »
It just does not look fun at all. Sad considering, when it was first announced, I was uber excited about it. Looks-wise, it's beautiful(art direction). Other than that, it seems tedious as hell. Flipping the switch and running and climbing(awkwardly), trying to avoid uber buffed skeletons and undead hand QTE(face it, QTE AREN'T optional, because they force you to do them to save time and add damage to bosses that seemingly have endless HP). Breaks my little heart.   :'(

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #3189 on: June 28, 2012, 10:41:06 PM »
It just does not look fun at all. Sad considering, when it was first announced, I was uber excited about it. Looks-wise, it's beautiful(art direction). Other than that, it seems tedious as hell. Flipping the switch and running and climbing(awkwardly), trying to avoid uber buffed skeletons and undead hand QTE(face it, QTE AREN'T optional, because they force you to do them to save time and add damage to bosses that seemingly have endless HP). Breaks my little heart.   :'(

Billy Ray Cyrus - Achy Breaky Heart with lyrics

;)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #3190 on: June 29, 2012, 12:00:09 AM »

Billy Ray Cyrus - Achy Breaky Heart with lyrics

NO WHY DID YOU DO THAT?!  Now I'm having flashbacks of my elementary school PE classes where the teacher forced us to exercise to that song MERCY WHYYYYYYYYYYYY?! D;

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3191 on: June 29, 2012, 12:11:46 AM »
+1
NO WHY DID YOU DO THAT?!  Now I'm having flashbacks of my elementary school PE classes where the teacher forced us to exercise to that song MERCY WHYYYYYYYYYYYY?! D;

Two reasons Gaawa-chan

1.DragonSlayr81's little heart
2. I love country music. From Johnny Cash to Kenny Rogers, David Allen Cole, and Garth Brooks just to name a few heck even a bit of the oak ridge boys with elvira. No joke  :)

Hey and a third reason. To remind you of all the good memories you had with the song way back when ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 12:18:40 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3192 on: June 29, 2012, 01:10:38 AM »
Okay, I'm actually really liking the way this looks. Because:

1. Holy crap, dat minimap! I love how it starts out looking like, oh, here's another flat area, just like the goddamn forest in OoE, but then it completely pulls the rug out from under you when you go underground and find the ridiculous amount of twists and turns... all with a sense that it actually doesn't look exactly like what came before! It's giving me that sort of giddy feeling I get from exploring a new Metroid game.
2. It seems like aside from levers, the "Press R to swing" prompts are one time only. Now I just hope it's the same for the Titan bosses and the "Press R to grip" prompt.
3. The platforming indeed looks a lot more fun. Just climbing straight up ledges here is far quicker and less tedious than slowly inching across them, not to mention you can wall jump, and in general need to actually do a lot more jumping from place to place in general.
4. Fall damage looks way less irritating than in LoS, but still enough of a deterrent from falling that it makes the platforming look like it's going to get pretty tense. (In other words, sort of how they did it in CV64.)
5. I do believe I saw an air dash or air dodge, meaning that combating flying dudes will not only not make you want to tear your hair out (ala those damn Gremlins in LoS who would just curb stomp you if you tried an air combo), but that air combat will make platforming even more tense, like the originals. (This is mostly conjecture, but from the flying bat dudes I'm assuming this is the case.)
6. Am I the only one okay with skeletons taking more of a beating? They've been complete mega-wusses for many of the original games; it's about time they got some respect. And here it's not like they're at the same asshole level the skeleton warriors were in LoS. (At least, not yet.)
7. The enemies and even Trevor have those kind of awkward stylized neutral poses that remind me even more of the older games.

Gonna dig this game thoroughly I imagine.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3193 on: June 29, 2012, 02:10:48 AM »

The person playing made the game look pretty...dull. Dunno. The combat makes me depressed. The music too. I do however love the look of the game, and the level design seems very good, much better than in any handheld Metroidvania I can think of. But the combat... :( Not only do the enemies have too much health, somebody thought it was a good idea to also give a few of them SHIELDS. We'll be moving through this castle at a snails pace, I fear.

Dominus Agony

« Reply #3194 on: June 29, 2012, 05:40:24 AM »
+1
6. Am I the only one okay with skeletons taking more of a beating?

Yes.

Don't know if anyone remembers or cares but the skeletons of the IGA-era were far more creative; we had Nova-Skeletons (the laser shooting ones, devastating damage), transparent skeletons (can only be hit when they're about to attack), running skeletons, LIQUID skeletons, skeleton spiders (the ones from HoD, didn't go down so easily & were unique), blood skeletons, the list goes on.

Tags: .....? 

anything