Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1849034 times)

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #3255 on: July 10, 2012, 01:56:12 PM »
Two levels are shown at once, 14 and 17. Not sure. Perhaps the area each of the two characters are in at once?

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #3256 on: July 10, 2012, 01:57:31 PM »
Two levels are shown at once, 14 and 17. Not sure. Perhaps the area each of the two characters are in at once?
Or, maybe, you not only upgrade your character, but your sub weapons as well.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3257 on: July 10, 2012, 01:59:57 PM »
Or magic. But, notice that only one of them, the Level 17, is the showed on the Map screen. Level 17 could be where the player currently is. The other one could be Trevor's position.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #3258 on: July 10, 2012, 02:10:03 PM »
Or magic. But, notice that only one of them, the Level 17, is the showed on the Map screen. Level 17 could be where the player currently is. The other one could be Trevor's position.
That would make sense.

Well I'm definitely hoping for a demo now, I need to play this game.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #3259 on: July 10, 2012, 03:23:17 PM »
New screenshots here: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/07/10/exclusive-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-mirror-of-fate-screens-show-off-magic-and-menus.aspx

(click to show/hide)

Is that level progression I see or is it for something else?

One of the pics on the site shows the controls and I don't like what I see. I hate... hate, hate, hate, hate, hate... using analogue controls for 2D action. If the controls aren't customizable that, right there, would be a deal breaker for me. It would especially piss me off if they did that with the cross key right there under the analogue pad.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3260 on: July 10, 2012, 03:51:21 PM »
Unfortunatly Cox confirmed that the controls are not customizable, so playing with the analog stick is the only option.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3261 on: July 10, 2012, 04:00:16 PM »
So Simon can change whips if I am seeing the screenshot correctly right?
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3262 on: July 10, 2012, 04:29:18 PM »
If the controls aren't customizable that, right there, would be a deal breaker for me.

That seems a little extreme. What if it's an amazing game? Controls are really going to stop you from playing it? I used to hate the controls of Resident Evil, what with the press up to walk no matter what direction you're facing, but I suck it up, and deal.

Like what would you do if the greatest game ever, or at least a game you were looking forward to for so long had the worse controls ever, would that really stop you?

Also, I really don't mind the 3DS nub for 2D games, I feel it works pretty nicely.
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #3263 on: July 10, 2012, 04:42:09 PM »
Promising stuff here! :)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #3264 on: July 10, 2012, 05:51:09 PM »
So Simon can change whips if I am seeing the screenshot correctly right?

Maybe, but with all of the other screens showing Trevor and the whole Simon not supposedly getting Light/Dark magic, that might be beta thing.

Offline Sul_Yong

• Hunter in Training
  • Go ahead and laugh, this world's terrible enough.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #3265 on: July 10, 2012, 06:49:42 PM »
That seems a little extreme. What if it's an amazing game? Controls are really going to stop you from playing it? I used to hate the controls of Resident Evil, what with the press up to walk no matter what direction you're facing, but I suck it up, and deal.

Bad controls should always be a deal breaker... bad controls and/or bad gameplay never make a good game... If someone is playing a game just for story and will trudge through a bad game for that story, they'd be better off reading the story on the wiki or watching it on youtube just to save them a headache... It's got the same terrible combat from Lords of Shadow, so I'm already out... I read in Nintendo Power that Cox says that they're trying to use the formula from all 2D Castlevanias because they work... I'm sorry, but the full FUN formula of any 2D Castlevania, both  before and after Symphony, isn't just the platforming; that was only half of the fun... Hell in Lords of Shadow the only parts I enjoyed were the platformy sections when you're scaling the castle/mountain/clock tower/etc. The other part of 2D Castlevania is the old-school combat, early enemies die in one strike, later enemies died in 5... My problem with the game is I don't feel the fun of getting swarmed by enemies that take 3 minutes to kill each on EASY mode, and it's like that throughout the entire game... It feels like a chore, and Mirror of Fate doesn't change that, for they brought back the one thing I hated most about the first game without showing (from what I see from the demo) any innovation... if they do later show some innovation, I may buy it... used.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3266 on: July 10, 2012, 09:18:09 PM »

The other part of 2D Castlevania is the old-school combat, early enemies die in one strike, later enemies died in 5... My problem with the game is I don't feel the fun of getting swarmed by enemies that take 3 minutes to kill each on EASY mode, and it's like that throughout the entire game... It feels like a chore, and Mirror of Fate doesn't change that, for they brought back the one thing I hated most about the first game without showing (from what I see from the demo) any innovation... if they do later show some innovation, I may buy it... used.

I disagree, since SotN Castlevania games have been too easy, so I welcome the in depth lengthy battles of LoS. And even the classics are somewhat easy, with a few exceptions. So I would say this is innovative for a Castlevania game. Whip, kill skeleton, whip, kill axe knight, two whips kill bone pillar, and with leveling up in IGA games it's gotten even easier than that. You just end up moving through the game too fast with no challenge. Obviously there will be times I get frustrated with the combat or too anxious to move on, but games today have gotten so much easier, it's nice to see More of a  Challenge in the LoS games.

and to be fair, I think LoS did a good job equalizing combat and platforming.
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3267 on: July 10, 2012, 11:21:13 PM »
Unfortunatly Cox confirmed that the controls are not customizable, so playing with the analog stick is the only option.

Not that I personally have problems with the way the controls are set, but why is this such a hard thing for developers to do sometimes? I was super pissed when they took this feature out of Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 from the first one. You'd think it would be common practice.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3268 on: July 10, 2012, 11:39:52 PM »
Do they need the d-pad for another function or something?
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #3269 on: July 11, 2012, 01:20:47 AM »
Cox confirmed that the controls are not customizable

*Facepalm* Controls should ALWAYS be customizable so long as the game isn't completely built around a specific button's unique function (analogs in Katamari, for example).

Do they need the d-pad for another function or something?

They're using it to select sub-weapons/activate-deactivate magic, apparently.

Tags: .....? 

anything