Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848441 times)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #3330 on: July 19, 2012, 08:55:42 AM »
I still find it to be less dynamic and very un-castlevania-like.

What does "less dynamic" even mean?

Offline NeoLiza

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #3331 on: July 19, 2012, 09:24:25 AM »
I'm going to assume you hate Scots, because Simon's always been a brute and he's always had axes.

I meant as his main weapon. I meant like Gimili the dwarf of LOTR. I meant a brute like Astaroth.

And I never saw Simon as a brute. At least not in his japanese artwork.

Then again, Simon never had a consistent design. It's like Konami doesn't know what they want Simon to look like.

Blonde or red hair? Who knows!?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:32:21 AM by NeoLiza »

Offline derision

• It's dangerous to go alone. I'm robbing you.
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3332 on: July 19, 2012, 12:17:42 PM »
I've always associated Simon as a barbarian-looking guy. A lot of people do actually- you have the US CV1 & 4 covers, that iconic Simon's Quest Nintendo Power cover, etc. I don't have a problem with his MoF design.

Also, that Japanese artwork is terrible.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #3333 on: July 19, 2012, 03:39:09 PM »
Well I guess Konami liked the barbarian look better, judging by US CV:1, CV:2, SCV:4, X68000, Haunted Castle, and even Chronicles to an extent.

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3334 on: July 19, 2012, 03:50:06 PM »
Can anyone clarify if October 23rd is the concrete street date for this game? It's the date they have at Gamestop.com and at the store when I visited this past Wednesday and prior to that, the date was  a generic 12/31/12 type of date.

I'm just curious if anyone has seen the date varied anywhere other than Gamestop, since their dates can't always be taken at face value. (It has LoS 2 as SD: 12/31/12 still, but I know that's got to be wrong...)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #3335 on: July 19, 2012, 05:22:39 PM »
and even Chronicles to an extent.

I always looked at the Chronicles design like it was a bridge between the bishonen pretty boys (like Alucard and Soma) and the barbaric Belmont Bros. (like Simon and Trevor). Kinda similar to how I looked at Count Dracula in PoR, combining the looks of the classic "I VANT TO SUK YUR BLUD" slicked-back hair vampires with the regal bishonen vampires that Symphony of the Night had.

And in any case, Mirror of Fate Simon rivals the Chronicles design for my favorite look of Simon.

P.S.: And according to Simon's Judgment character (and his description in the manual), Simon got the canon personality of a brute. Brash and reckless, preferring to run in and fuck up some dark beings rather than staying back and surveying the scene and planning how to strike.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 05:24:19 PM by Claimh Solais »
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline NeoLiza

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #3336 on: July 19, 2012, 05:35:25 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't count judgment as canon no matter how hard Konami would try to shove it into our faces. The game that made Maria's goal in life to invent plastic surgery should never be counted as notable... ever.

As for the Brute classification, that would equate to a savage and cruel person. That I don't see in Simon. And even if he is "supposed" to be barbarian (which is the feeling I'm getting from the responses), his new design is still going overboard a bit. Looking at the other art pieces of Simon, he doesn't look anywhere near as beastly as what MS is going for.

Offline Johnny Alucard

• Vampire Hunter
  • Shanoa x Monica OTP
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3337 on: July 19, 2012, 05:40:10 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't count judgment as canon no matter how hard Konami would try to shove it into our faces. The game that made Maria's goal in life to invent plastic surgery should never be counted as notable... ever.

It's a real shame that IGA believes that Judgment is the perfect send off for "his" timeline. Unfortunately for us, that means it's canon.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
« Reply #3338 on: July 19, 2012, 06:11:59 PM »
That's really weird, because I've never heard him say anything like that.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3339 on: July 19, 2012, 06:21:53 PM »
That's really weird, because I've never heard him say anything like that.

me neither....

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #3340 on: July 19, 2012, 06:26:08 PM »
It's funny, because it sounds like people forgot that there was a crossover that happened after that.

It was called Harmony of Despair. You know, a game that actually sold.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #3341 on: July 20, 2012, 07:27:51 AM »
What does "less dynamic" even mean?

That's a pretty straight forward statement. Less control options = lower level of dynamic interaction with the game.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3342 on: July 20, 2012, 11:08:20 AM »
The guy who leaked MoF info on 4chan said Judgement was a "send off" game for IGA. But that doesn't really make sense since HoD happend.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3343 on: July 20, 2012, 01:02:38 PM »
+1
That's a pretty straight forward statement. Less control options = lower level of dynamic interaction with the game.

But there aren't less control options...

If anything there are more, as what was once done by jumping and ducking is now done by jumping, blocking, and rolling.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #3344 on: July 20, 2012, 01:21:31 PM »
But there aren't less control options...

If anything there are more, as what was once done by jumping and ducking is now done by jumping, blocking, and rolling.

At best that's the same number of basic maneuvers, not less. And replacing  ducking with rolling changes the basic formula of 2d Castlevania in a really big way, only it seems superfluous to have done so as as having ducking would give the player more control/options during combat and is fundamental to what a large number of players are both used to and many expect. And before anyone even mentions that LoS didn't have ducking, I'll point out that fact as being irrelevant. Not only is MoF a fundamentally different experience, but contextually it can only be compared to others of it's ilk. That's the price for slapping that Castlevania logo on it and making it a side-scrolling platformer. Actually I'm starting to think that attempting to translate LoS's game play to 2D is going to be as ill fated as translating classicvania to 3D has thus far been.
"Stuff and things."

Tags: .....?