Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848392 times)

Offline Dominus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #3360 on: July 21, 2012, 06:05:23 PM »
Am I the only one that Marie shits all over the other love interests in CV minus in the design department?

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #3361 on: July 21, 2012, 06:08:08 PM »
Not really honestly. Time travel Belmonts just doesn't excite me, nor leave me with the feeling I'll be at all impressed.

Time travel?

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3362 on: July 21, 2012, 07:33:18 PM »
There is no time traveling in MoF, the game takes place in different periods of time and your able to select which point in time to start from.

So Trevor, Simon and Alucard stay in their respected era's. Although it seems that Simon and Trevor encounter each other later on since their time periods are only 30 years apart (with Alucard's era taking place a little further down the line).

Offline flyingchai

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #3363 on: July 21, 2012, 07:48:34 PM »
A curious thought just occurred to me. If the Mirror of Fate was in Carmilla's castle when Gabriel defeated her, how did The Brotherhood have access to show it to Marie just a year before?
Guess we'll see soon enough...
http://flyingchai.deviantart.com - My art here is usually CV inspired
http://www.twitter.com/flyingchai01 - Tweeting more and more lately

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3364 on: July 22, 2012, 12:08:56 AM »
What have I missed?

Well in other news my luck got a whole lot better, I stuck through to the end and called a lot of gamestops. Most of them just had God of war, dead space, and resident evil six, but I called one and the place had "them". Me being not able to hold back my excitement I go and ask for the lords of shadow edition, The GS employee asks for my power up card, but right after that I state that I got the splinter cell issue in my mail and for some reason he gave me a look like that was like "really splinter cell"? He gave me the issue free no charge I could not believe it. Yeah free cv issues are awesome  ;D
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3366 on: July 22, 2012, 09:43:52 PM »
Dunno if this has been shared here yet:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/358969/castlevania-mirror-of-fate-preview-the-full-belmonty-on-the-nintendo-3ds/

Pretty old.

Notice how they mention only Simon has been confirmed so far despite Alucard being confirmed over a month ago.

But who knows, maybe someone hasn't seen this article yet...

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #3367 on: July 22, 2012, 09:47:13 PM »
Pretty old.

Yeah, I figured.  I didn't see it posted, though.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3368 on: July 22, 2012, 10:38:57 PM »

Well in other news my luck got a whole lot better, I stuck through to the end and called a lot of gamestops. Most of them just had God of war, dead space, and resident evil six, but I called one and the place had "them". Me being not able to hold back my excitement I go and ask for the lords of shadow edition, The GS employee asks for my power up card, but right after that I state that I got the splinter cell issue in my mail and for some reason he gave me a look like that was like "really splinter cell"? He gave me the issue free no charge I could not believe it. Yeah free cv issues are awesome  ;D

I can't find a single one. I've checked the three Gamestops nearest to me, and it seems like they all have only two covers to choose from, and none of them have received any Castlevania ones. This is getting annoying.  >:(
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #3369 on: July 22, 2012, 11:33:42 PM »
It might be old, but:

Trevor can morph into a dark, spooky looking version of himself, which temporarily grants him superhuman strength. Simon, meanwhile, can flip between his healing spirit power or his harmful elemental power.

This makes me ask questions.

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Waffles are pretty great
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
« Reply #3370 on: July 23, 2012, 03:04:32 AM »
Wow, 225 pages. I hope no one blames me for not searching through the whole topic, but is there a trailer out yet?

I just heard of Mirror of Fate today, so I know like nothing about it.

Oh man, when it comes to news, it tends to be new to me.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #3371 on: July 23, 2012, 04:42:17 AM »
Wow, 225 pages. I hope no one blames me for not searching through the whole topic, but is there a trailer out yet?

I just heard of Mirror of Fate today, so I know like nothing about it.

Oh man, when it comes to news, it tends to be new to me.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mirror+of+fate+trailer&oq=mirror+of+f&gs_l=youtube.3.2.0l3.849.7019.0.8424.17.13.2.2.2.0.278.1674.3j9j1.13.0...0.0...1ac.DPnLVs_2XmM

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3372 on: July 23, 2012, 08:27:24 AM »
It might be old, but:

Shadow magic allows Trevor to deal extra damage, while Simon can summon spirits to heal and protect or attack enemies.

This article is old btw, there have been other recent previews of the game that goes beyond the E3 demo.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 08:31:12 AM by Kingshango »

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #3373 on: July 23, 2012, 10:48:33 AM »
Was at Gamestop the other day and they had an October 23rd release pinned down. I asked one of the employees if that was just a temporary date or the real deal, they said it was the official date. Two other 3DS games are coming out on the same day as well, I can't remember what they were though.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #3374 on: July 23, 2012, 10:49:41 AM »
My comment about collision boxes was a hypothetical, not a proof, but if you want to go there, based on common sense, history, and gameplay videos, I would bet a sizable sum that the collision boxes are exactly as I predict.

Maybe so, but you still don't know for sure. Common sense is hardly any way to prove anything being as it is completely subject to context and opinion. Also, I don't see what history you're referring to being as there is no precedent in either the CV series or in the LoS sub-series of attempting to convert the game play of a 3D game into a 2D one. I'll give you that the game play we've seen thus far MAY suggest the possibility that the hit boxes are as you say, but without a way to test it, it will never be more than conjecture.

And a proof is an argument. You said taking out ducking gives the player less functionality, but the issue with that is the game replaces it with at least two other functions, making your statement false.

Don't be a smart ass. I know full well what a proof is and it isn't empirical proof. Furthermore, you can't even claim a logical proof since this is all based on conjecture.

"Takes away from the game's potential". Qualitative value judgement right there.

True. So is your assertion that it wouldn't add anything either.

So you get it, but you don't get it.
Games are about function, not form. To that end, maneuvers posses no intrinsic value. Adding ducking serves no purpose, makes nothing more varied and interesting, unless it is given one within the game.

I get your argument, yes. I just don't agree because it is all dependent on how exact the hit detection was programmed. If it was programmed with a high degree of precision I guarantee it will intrinsically have situations where ducking will be affective even if it isn't a lot. And I still maintain that the average player always likes having a greater variety of things they can do with their character even if those things aren't strictly utilitarian. Take the nearly useless whip brandishing in SCV4. You can play the entire game without ever using that ability, yet people love it to death.

Take Sonic the Hedgehog, for example. The games have ducking, but it there are few situations in which ducking allows you to dodge an attack, and does little more than add an unnecessary motion that needs to be done before rolling. You could map the dash roll to its own button, and nothing would change. Nothing would be more varied and interesting.

Like I just said, not everything in a game need be totally utilitarian to the combat system for it to have intrinsic value.

And I'd also like to point out that you're separating the ducking ability from the context of the game and the programmers who would hypothetically use it. You can't assume that if they implemented such a thing that they wouldn't potentially adjust the combat to incorporate it in a more meaningful way, not that they would necessarily need to depending on how the engine was created to begin with.

Completely unrelated to the crouching argument:

Anyone else here who thinks Mirror of Fate's story sounds a million times more interesting than Lords of Shadow's?

Yes.

It might be old, but:
Trevor can morph into a dark, spooky looking version of himself, which temporarily grants him superhuman strength. Simon, meanwhile, can flip between his healing spirit power or his harmful elemental power.

Damn. That's now like Simon is less distinctive from Trevor and the obvious sign that Trevor really IS *shudders* Alucard.
Bleh.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:01:32 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Tags: .....? 

anything