Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848726 times)

Offline MelancholySpork12

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #4470 on: February 05, 2013, 06:13:08 AM »
More footage from IGN: http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/02/04/castlevania-3ds-simon-belmont-commentary

I don't know if it's been posted already...

Looks decent tbh. It's still a Coxvania but at least they're trying a little harder to make it true to the series. I like the art style and the combat looks okay. He said that there isn't going to be a lot of backtracking, but there will be some exploration. Honestly the fact that the game is 2D most of the time helps a lot for me.

The game BETTER have Simon's theme in it...

EDIT: Also, swimming! Interesting.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:17:20 AM by MelancholySpork12 »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #4471 on: February 05, 2013, 06:59:52 AM »
+1
The game BETTER have Simon's theme in it...

Good idea.

They won't do it.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4472 on: February 05, 2013, 07:02:01 AM »
+1
They said that both Mirror of Fate and Lords of Shadow 2 will not have any remixed tunes unfortunately and it's a new score entirely.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #4473 on: February 05, 2013, 07:28:02 AM »
+2
LOL at the apple-crunch sound for picking up meat. It's severely disconcerting for that sound to come from that substance.

The Belmonts are so manly they eat whole turkeys in one bite and grind the bones to dust in their mouths.

The backgrounds are fantastic, but it seems they went overboard because the character models looks kinda assey in comparison. Some of the areas seem kinda empty reminding me a little of the emptiness I felt during LoI. I think this illustrates why it's good to have enemies that go down in one hit. So you can have something to interact with while you're exploring without having to completely derail the pace of the game or have damned arena battles. Speaking of which, I saw one that wasn't a boss fight and no es bueno. Also, fuck Cox & MS for all the shiny ledges & shit. Here's the thing. My player character, as is common in most modern platform games, can grab ledges. I can see that shit simply by jumping towards a ledge and seeing what happens. (Although I'm sure you've insisted on interrupting my gaming experience with an inane textual reminder that this is, in fact, the case.) I'm not a moron, and most gamers are relatively cognizant enough to visually identify a ledge or outcropping without having to make them more annoying than the lights on a police cruiser. And, if MS was worried we might get confused with things that look like ledges but aren't then here's an idea for you. DON'T PUT SHIT IN THE BACKGROUND THAT LOOKS LIKE A LEDGE BUT ISN'T ONE!
On a similar not, is it really necessary to make the 3 foot tall lever switch randomly placed in the abandoned wooden house glow with a golden sheen? And, once again, thank you for the texual reminder that I can interact with the plainly obvious prop with the action button. I wasn't entirely sure if the action button in this game was for the same purpose as the action button in EVERY OTHER GAME I EVER PLAYED BEFORE!

That said... hooray for red curtains. Not dying from contact with standing bodies of water is nice too.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:51:54 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline MelancholySpork12

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #4474 on: February 05, 2013, 08:31:03 AM »
They said that both Mirror of Fate and Lords of Shadow 2 will not have any remixed tunes unfortunately and it's a new score entirely.

The hell..? What possible reason could they have for doing this? Does Cox just actively dislike fan service?

I'm trying really hard to like MoF but Cox isn't make it easy on me.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4475 on: February 05, 2013, 08:41:59 AM »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4476 on: February 05, 2013, 09:07:43 AM »
I can make the assumption of what the Lost Soul is now.

Offline TheFly22284

• Awards
« Reply #4477 on: February 05, 2013, 09:21:47 AM »
Slightly off-topic, but am I the only one who would love some Lords of Shadow action figures?

LoS: Gabriel, Pan, Zobek, Cornell, Carmilla, Satan. Each has a piece of the Forgotten One. 
MoF: Trevor, Simon, Alucard, Sypha, Dracula. Each has a piece of the Daemon Lord.
LoS2: Decrepit Dracula, WhicheverModern Belmont, and who knows what else?

I just think the designs really lend themselves to collector's items.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #4478 on: February 05, 2013, 09:27:56 AM »
+1
Also, fuck Cox & MS for all the shiny ledges & shit. Here's the thing. My player character, as is common in most modern platform games, can grab ledges. I can see that shit simply by jumping towards a ledge and seeing what happens. (Although I'm sure you've insisted on interrupting my gaming experience with an inane textual reminder that this is, in fact, the case.) I'm not a moron, and most gamers are relatively cognizant enough to visually identify a ledge or outcropping without having to make them more annoying than the lights on a police cruiser. And, if MS was worried we might get confused with things that look like ledges but aren't then here's an idea for you. DON'T PUT SHIT IN THE BACKGROUND THAT LOOKS LIKE A LEDGE BUT ISN'T ONE!
On a similar not, is it really necessary to make the 3 foot tall lever switch randomly placed in the abandoned wooden house glow with a golden sheen? And, once again, thank you for the texual reminder that I can interact with the plainly obvious prop with the action button. I wasn't entirely sure if the action button in this game was for the same purpose as the action button in EVERY OTHER GAME I EVER PLAYED BEFORE!

Thing is, modern game devs, as pointed out by Egoraptor, think that mainstream gamers are idiots.
Then again, there are quite a bit of the new kids that aren't helping either.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #4479 on: February 05, 2013, 09:31:59 AM »
+1
That area attack was insane. It crosses the entire screen. Why would you ever use the axe when you can do that? They really need to tone down the whip. The backgrounds look gorgeous and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but I am worried that the combat is going to be far to easy, and if the combats a breeze, whats the point of playing? Look at Demo 4, around the 5 minute mark. He stands in the middle of the room and can hit everything.

Also, fuck Cox & MS for all the shiny ledges & shit. Here's the thing. My player character, as is common in most modern platform games, can grab ledges. I can see that shit simply by jumping towards a ledge and seeing what happens. (Although I'm sure you've insisted on interrupting my gaming experience with an inane textual reminder that this is, in fact, the case.) I'm not a moron, and most gamers are relatively cognizant enough to visually identify a ledge or outcropping without having to make them more annoying than the lights on a police cruiser. And, if MS was worried we might get confused with things that look like ledges but aren't then here's an idea for you. DON'T PUT SHIT IN THE BACKGROUND THAT LOOKS LIKE A LEDGE BUT ISN'T ONE!

I'm more worried about weather this sort of platforming will translate well at all into a 2D game. I guess the way he grabbed some of those ledges were reminiscent of the GBA Metroid games, but I'm worried this platforming is just there to lengthen the game rather than to add anything to the core combat. I doubt they will be able to pull off classic Clocktower like platforming with the direction they're going in.
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #4480 on: February 05, 2013, 09:35:17 AM »
+1
Thing is, modern game devs, as pointed out by Egoraptor, think that mainstream gamers are idiots.
Then again, there are quite a bit of the new kids that aren't helping either.

There have always been new kids. This is clearly the sign of a developer with no confidence in their abilities. Look at Portal. In the developer commentary, they make it quite clear that they spent a lot of time on how to subtlety guide the player along without making it blatant. They used things like temporarily locking a door to make you look down into the chamber so you can have a birds eye view of the puzzle. Mercury Steam just takes the easy way out with their blinking lights.
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #4481 on: February 05, 2013, 10:10:07 AM »
Slightly off-topic, but am I the only one who would love some Lords of Shadow action figures?

:)

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4482 on: February 05, 2013, 10:15:07 AM »
+3
I just don't like the whole ledge thing altogether. For something in 3D, like LoS, it's alright(I guess), but for 2D, I think it breaks up the pace. Something that would keep the pace and be ideal for getting up and down walls would be something similar to the wall jump in the Mario and Mega Man X games(or even the original Ninja Gaiden games). It allows you to manually jump back and forth quickly so it doesn't break up the pacing. Also, regarding jumping towards ledges, hanging then pulling yourself up, just make ledges far enough to regular jump(or double jump depending on the character and where the platforming segment is located within the context of the game's story progression). I see Simon and Alucard moving fast through corridors, ripping through enemies(well, the ones that don't take forever to kill), then they get to a point where they have to do the wall/ledge shimmy and it just feels disjointed. It's like, "Okay, let's kick some ass! Some major speed monster killing, look at me sprint through these castle corridors! Oh, a hole leading doward. Okay, hmmmmm, is it right hand then left hand? Gotta be careful and take me time on this one!!".  ;D

The backgrounds ARE really beautiful. If anything, IMO, MS outdid the original LoS as far as capturing the "Castlevania feel" regarding the look of the areas(and the monsters, as the zombies are more traditional and less Silent Hilly like in LoS).

Aside from that, what I did like was that some of the bosses(other than the one with the Plague mask), particularly the Executioner, seemed less durable(like if their skin was made out of adamantium). The original demo footage where the Trevor fought the Executioner had him take forever to go down. The recent footage, there seems to be a trick to get his health down faster(that blue aura field), which I like.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 12:15:59 PM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #4483 on: February 05, 2013, 10:29:13 AM »
+2
No Simon's theme is a serious missed opportunity, booooo.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Tags: .....? 

anything