Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848846 times)

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #5235 on: March 07, 2013, 03:15:37 PM »
I was tired too, but now it's been a few years and I would really like another one! Not made by IGA, not made by Cox... someone else should make it. I'm sure there's a new generation of developers who have fresh ideas for this - stuff we haven't seen before. All this talk about making Castlevania "mainstream" is so depressing I don't know what to say. I completely understand it from a business point of view, but the whole appeal of the series (for me) was that Castlevania was never like every other game out there.

It may have grown stale but it was always a very special series for me. I enjoy the LoS series for what it is, but it's not the same. And this has nothing to do with me being an IGA fanboy, because like I said - as much as I loved his games, I want someone else to have a shot. And I want it to be more japanese again. But whatever. I'm fine with whatever happens, but I'll never think of Castlevania in the same way again if "mainstream" is the future...

I'd argue that Castlevania was in the mainstream conversation in the 8-bit and 16-bit era, and reached the tail end of its mainstream appeal somewhere around or between Legacy of Darkness and Circle of the Moon. (Judging by magazine coverage). By Harmony of Dissonance, it was pretty much a niche title. I'm not sure whether the effort by Cox/MS has nudged the needle very far one way or another, except in the sense that it's conformed more to modern trends. But I don't think that automatically means mainstream. You can be different and mainstream, I think. LoS experiment is admirable in its own way, but I wonder if it was in vain somewhat, and this blanket statement of "Western" has caused Castlevania to lose some of its uniqueness for no real brand benefit or definite overall improvement in its gameplay evolution.

the funny thing is that after sotn, iga tried to bring back old vania, or at least test the waters for its potential in the new market, and it was seen as mediocre, while the n64 guys deliberately continued the legacy of sotn with cotm.

if anything, why did people have to be terrible and hate chronicles

You have a point, to an extent. When IGA tried to "bring back old vania" he decided to pick old titles and refurbish them (Chronicles and Dracula X Chronicles). I think that was a problem. They didn't come off as new entries, they came off as nostalgic collectors games in a lot of ways. Even the titles, "Chronicles," and how they contained different versions of the games in a "collection" format confused things.

Regarding the N64 guys, I think they were very self-conscious that the overall fan reaction had predisposed people to want SotN more so than what they had done. I think they wanted to cash in on that feeling. CotM is sort of their response to mixing more classic challenge and whip-cracking action to what IGA started. Ironically, this led IGA to come back and say that they were not doing it right, and he'd show them with Harmony of Dissonance. And after that, the marketing identity was snowballing faster than anyone could control it.

Offline mistressalucard

• Diva
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Magical Diva
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Moonlit Path
    • Awards
« Reply #5236 on: March 07, 2013, 03:45:40 PM »
Just got my copy in the mail I am thrilled its here but is the game manual missing?  I only see Nintendo Club points and Konami Core.  No game manual?
---
Lady A

Trevor Belmont Fan

Offline Rodriguezjr

• Local Vampire Hunter
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Rodriguezjr's Youtube
    • Awards
« Reply #5237 on: March 07, 2013, 03:48:18 PM »
Just got my copy in the mail I am thrilled its here but is the game manual missing?  I only see Nintendo Club points and Konami Core.  No game manual?
No manuals at all.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5238 on: March 07, 2013, 03:54:56 PM »
Welp, I guess they were smart enough to realize that gamers these days couldn't be arsed to RTFM.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Romantically Justified...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #5239 on: March 07, 2013, 04:25:33 PM »
WTF is this????

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5240 on: March 07, 2013, 04:29:13 PM »
+2
WTF is this????

Being a grade A Jackass.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Black Cat

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #5241 on: March 07, 2013, 04:32:34 PM »
+2
WTF is this????

Cox being cheeky. I guess he saw the comments about how LoS's soundtrack sounded like something out of the Dark Knight trilogy.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 04:35:12 PM by Black Cat »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #5242 on: March 07, 2013, 05:37:12 PM »
+2
It doesnt anything to do with Batman, its only a example of how stupid he can be with the fanbase, this guy asked what have in his product and he answered like "Did you see me asking for movie companies which music they did include in their movie without watching them?". It would be better if he didn't answered that question.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5243 on: March 07, 2013, 05:42:10 PM »
+2
WTF is this????

*sighs*  And the man wonders why some fans don't embrace him...

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #5244 on: March 07, 2013, 05:48:01 PM »
Finished the game at 77%, on a hard mode run now.

I enjoyed it way more than I expected to, this is probably my favorite 3DS game right now. Absolute no question, it's a much better game than LoS was to me. Finishing this has me really excited for Lords of Shadow 2 now. Crossing my fingers we'll get to play as Alucard in that game as well.

Loved the final Dracula Battle, probably one of my favorite Drac fights in the series.

Well done Mercury Steam.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:53:22 PM by OSM »

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5245 on: March 07, 2013, 06:00:49 PM »
Every time someone making a reboot of a franchise mentions Christopher Nolan, take a shot.

This is my drinking game.

Anyway, about there being no classic tunes... I'm really okay with that, especially because in the past a great majority of classic remixes have been the most obvious ones. And the little bits I've heard in Mirror of Fate seems to indicate they turned up the darkness dial a few notches, which is also good. My main worry is that the game will still loop batches of three songs for multiple areas like the first one.

Loved the final Dracula Battle, probably one of my favorite Drac fights in the series.

I have to ask, does he have a big beasty form like the earlier games?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:07:39 PM by Munchy »

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #5246 on: March 07, 2013, 06:14:58 PM »
+1
I have to ask, does he have a big beasty form like the earlier games?
(click to show/hide)
WTF is this????
Well that was awfully rude of him.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:16:34 PM by OSM »

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5247 on: March 07, 2013, 06:28:55 PM »
Well that was awfully rude of him.

I suppose it's irritating to get a specific few questions all the time, but yeah, it's generally wise to step back for a while before responding or just ignore certain questions.

Cox never did answer my question about a Thriller-inspired joke ending in any of the games.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5248 on: March 07, 2013, 06:40:02 PM »
+1
WTF is this????

A shining example of Cox and Alvarez's blatant apathy toward the series' rich history and legacy. Forget everything you know about Castlevania, because they're shoving their own thing down your throat now.

Offline Black Cat

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #5249 on: March 07, 2013, 06:51:17 PM »
Eh, I wouldn't read too much into it. Especially since it's twitter and there's no telling what previous experience Cox and this individual have had with each other. This might have just been Cox's way of telling him to be patient (or to check past tweets since I'm pretty sure he's answered this question before).

Tags: .....?