Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Should Belmonts Revenge have starred Soleiyu?  (Read 7314 times)

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Should Belmonts Revenge have starred Soleiyu?
« on: November 11, 2015, 05:31:58 PM »
Would it have made more sense? I mean, Christopher is older for one, which is badass that he still does this, but Soleiyu has reached adulthood and this quest could've proved and or challenged his new vampire hunter status. Maybe Drac kidnaps Chris to sacrifice him for revenge for taking him out, and I think Soleiyu as the protagonist would've been way more interesting, especially for one of the more story focused classicvania.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 10:52:15 AM by Crying Freeman »

Offline coinilius

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
Re: Should Belmonts Revenge have starred Soleiyu?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 06:02:31 PM »
Personally, I don't think agree.  Belmont's Revenge's plot works fine as it currently is -  Dracula's revenge is that he is corrupting Christopher's son and using him against the one who previously defeated him.  If anything, what would be best would have been for the third Game Boy CV game to have been Soleiyu's Adventure and had that star Soleiyu.

I find Soleiyu interesting though and would have liked to have seen a full adventure starring him - how did the events of Belmont's Revenge effect him?  Would he be working extra hard to prove himself after he was used by Dracula earlier on?

Of course, there is a hack where you can play Belmont's Revenge as Soleiyu - http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1046/

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 07:28:54 PM »
I think Soleiyu should have his own game, and the villain be Elizabeth Bartley.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
I think there was a reason in the Japanese manual of the original CV why Christopher was regarded as such a Legend. He was the only Belmont to actually defeat Dracula twice in succession. Simon later following in his ancestor's footsteps. So no, I don't.

Should he get his own game where he faces off with Dracula or a lesser vampire? Sure, why not, make a frikkin game that isn't PachinKonami!
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline coinilius

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 09:47:12 PM »
I think Soleiyu should have his own game, and the villain be Elizabeth Bartley.

Agreed! I saw this mentioned in another thread (probably by you, theplottwist!) when I was lurking and the idea stuck with me.  For the 'Legend of Christopher' to still be relevant we know that Soleiyu couldn't fight and defeat Dracula, but having him fight Elizabeth Bartley is a great idea - she is a significant character in the Castlevania mythos whose backstory hasn't been explored and the real life Elisabeth Bathory was active around the same time in history (her death following imprisonment was in 1614).

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 10:15:59 PM »
Agreed! I saw this mentioned in another thread (probably by you, theplottwist!) when I was lurking and the idea stuck with me.  For the 'Legend of Christopher' to still be relevant we know that Soleiyu couldn't fight and defeat Dracula, but having him fight Elizabeth Bartley is a great idea - she is a significant character in the Castlevania mythos whose backstory hasn't been explored and the real life Elisabeth Bathory was active around the same time in history (her death following imprisonment was in 1614).

In fact, not only real world coincides with that, but the Bloodlines manual actually gives the "early 17th century" spiel about her death, and says that she was revived in 1914, 300 years after her death. So not only she's the one and the same, but Soleiyu was alive and well by the time of her death - right on his prime to fight using the whip.

Then, Elizabeth revives and JUST BY COINCIDENCE attacks Eric's lover, Eric himself having Belmont blood.

Elizabeth is established to have a connection to Dracula and to have lived in the late 1500s and early 1600s, so it's absolutelly not a stretch for her to be the one behind the events of The Adventure and Belmont's Revenge.

Making Soleiyu face against her gives her a reason to exact revenge on the Belmonts later. And since the Belmonts are gone, she goes for the next best thing, which are the Lecardes.

Soooooo... Are you listening, Konami? Eh, who I'm trying to fool :P
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline coinilius

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 05:54:01 AM »
Unfortunately, I think it's safe to say that Konami won't be making a game like that anytime soon.  Unless they made some kind of pachislot out of it... think of all the opportunities for 'erotic violence' it would give them!   :rollseyes:

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 10:55:48 AM »
Personally, I don't think agree.  Belmont's Revenge's plot works fine as it currently is -  Dracula's revenge is that he is corrupting Christopher's son and using him against the one who previously defeated him.  If anything, what would be best would have been for the third Game Boy CV game to have been Soleiyu's Adventure and had that star Soleiyu.

I find Soleiyu interesting though and would have liked to have seen a full adventure starring him - how did the events of Belmont's Revenge effect him?  Would he be working extra hard to prove himself after he was used by Dracula earlier on?

Of course, there is a hack where you can play Belmont's Revenge as Soleiyu - http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1046/

They could've very well have done that with a third GB CV, and maybe they had ideas, like how Adventure had the little twist ending. A new game starring him would've been pretty sweet. Notice how we get 2 Simons games, a game set 200 years prior with CV3, then 2 Christopher games, a game set 200 years prior with Legends. Just something coincidental I noticed.

Btw, about a year or so ago, played that awesome hack! Definitely recommend it to everyone!

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 10:57:51 AM »
Love these ideas with Bartley as a villain!! Hearing your discussions, I think I've changed my mind about Soleiyu being the star, makes more sense with Chris honestly. But the idea with Bartley works perfectly!

I do remember a few years back seeing a fan game on YouTube called Soleiyu's Quest, looked pretty good.

Offline coinilius

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 03:48:43 PM »
They could've very well have done that with a third GB CV, and maybe they had ideas, like how Adventure had the little twist ending. A new game starring him would've been pretty sweet. Notice how we get 2 Simons games, a game set 200 years prior with CV3, then 2 Christopher games, a game set 200 years prior with Legends. Just something coincidental I noticed.

I noticed that same thing just the other day - probably just a coincidence, but it's still an interesting parallel!

Fan games are probably the only place where a Soleiyu game has any chance of materializing. 

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 06:47:27 PM »
Unfortunately, I think it's safe to say that Konami won't be making a game like that anytime soon.  Unless they made some kind of pachislot out of it... think of all the opportunities for 'erotic violence' it would give them!   :rollseyes:

Konami would like your idea very much.

Offline The Bizarre Trooper

• The Stardust Brawler
  • Hunter in Training
  • Nanomachines, son!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (PS2)
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 06:31:25 AM »
I agree with theplottwist here, having Soleiyu fighting Elizabeth Bartley is genius!

I would play the f**k out of it!
Standing here, I realize
You were just like me, trying to make history.
But who's to judge the right from wrong?
When our guard is down, I think we'll both agree
That violence breeds violence,
But in the end it has to be this way.

Offline coinilius

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 07:30:35 AM »
Yes, that would have made for a great third entry into the GB Castlevania series - could make for a great fan game now!  Legends was a disappointing follow up entry after the great, fun title that was Belmont's Revenge.  Perhaps 'Soleiyu's Quest' could have been a Metroidvania entry for the Game Boy?  The old GB could handle the genre - Metroid II: Return of Samus and TMNT III: Radical Rescue are both good examples of this.

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 03:41:34 PM »
I noticed that same thing just the other day - probably just a coincidence, but it's still an interesting parallel!

Fan games are probably the only place where a Soleiyu game has any chance of materializing.

It has to be, there's no way the devs really thought of that tbh. I remember seeing a Soleiyus Quest somewhere online and it looked pretty awesome, think it was done in GameMaker

Tags:

anything