5 (29.4%)
Classic Evil Dracula
4 (23.5%)
CoTM/N64 Closer to novel Dracula
4 (23.5%)
LOS Dracula Belmont
4 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Favorite Dracula?  (Read 5495 times)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« on: March 16, 2014, 11:22:25 AM »
The idea came to me when Castlevania didn't only have 2 Draculas, but 4, so I wanted to see what everyone's favorite Dracula

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 11:39:18 AM »
IGA's and 'classic' dracula are the same thing. I mean, what would you classify Dracula from Castlevania Chronicles? Would you seriously say that the arrange mode and classic mode Dracula's are two different things? Or the Dracula from PoR and Adventure Rebirth.

Same thing with CotM's Dracula.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:43:18 AM by beingthehero »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 12:24:46 AM »
IGA's and 'classic' dracula are the same thing.

I have to disagree here. The classic Dracula and IGA's version of Dracula are not the same. They are in fact two totally different people character-wise. Look how Mathias acts compared to the Classic Dracula. They are not the same. Their attitudes are very much different. Mathias is a subdued and cold person, wallowing in self-pity (which is a typical Japanese emo-character not fitting for Dracula), while the Classic Dracula is fearsome, violent, Cunning, does not beat around the bush, and does not wine about what was. When IGA created Dracula's origin story for LoI he made one of the biggest blunders in the series' history. He should not have touched it. The Classic Dracula is the one the series started with, and it was based off the Bram Stoker's Dracula character, which it turn came from the inspiration of Vlad Tepes III; The True Dracula. Classic Dracula for me.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 02:34:21 AM »
I prefer IGA's dracula, no matter what the naysayers say that Matthias is not the true Dracula which I agree to an extent.
Maybe because I am so used to Japanese emo characters. hehehe.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 06:34:05 AM »
Even though I thought Iga's 3D games left a lot to be desired in CV terms, Mathias is a very well put together character imo. I thought he was the best character in LOI.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 07:09:05 AM »
I have to disagree here. The classic Dracula and IGA's version of Dracula are not the same. They are in fact two totally different people character-wise. Look how Mathias acts compared to the Classic Dracula. They are not the same. Their attitudes are very much different. Mathias is a subdued and cold person, wallowing in self-pity (which is a typical Japanese emo-character not fitting for Dracula), while the Classic Dracula is fearsome, violent, Cunning, does not beat around the bush, and does not wine about what was. When IGA created Dracula's origin story for LoI he made one of the biggest blunders in the series' history. He should not have touched it. The Classic Dracula is the one the series started with, and it was based off the Bram Stoker's Dracula character, which it turn came from the inspiration of Vlad Tepes III; The True Dracula. Classic Dracula for me.

And look at how Chronicles, ReBirth, Curse, and PoR Dracula acts compared to classic Dracula. i.e. I'M EVIL HUMANS ARE WORTHLESS ALL WILL DIE. There is no difference whatsoever with Rondo's Dracula.Or is that also IGA's Dracula before IGA took over the series? What you say is 'IGA's' Dracula is just Rondo Drac. Mathias is just a variant Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula. 

He even acts differently in HoD, where he just really wants to drink Juste's blood. You can say that Mathias acts differently, sure, but even Lords Dracula wallows in self pity and is all WHAT HAVE I BECOOOOOOME', fairly different from stoic righteous Gabriel at the beginning of Lords 1.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 07:41:53 AM by beingthehero »

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 08:13:47 AM »
I have gone with the CoTM/N64 Dracula, he always had an agenda even fresh off of being resurrected.
Everything makes more sense with this Dracula at the throne, he has done things that any other Dracula has yet to do in Castlevania.

Cornell defeated Dracula, but only on Dracula's terms as it led to a perfect resurrection, the irony of Reinhardt saving dracula's life unknowing it's him was very devious, and the Dracula fake was just a cherry on top.

You'll never know his personal problems, you'll never know his next move, and he is never alone, always with loyal servants.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 06:23:25 PM »
There is no difference whatsoever with Rondo's Dracula.Or is that also IGA's Dracula before IGA took over the series?

IGA's version of Dracula had it's roots in SotN, but did not come to fruition until LoI and that's when the emo set in... :P

He even acts differently in HoD, where he just really wants to drink Juste's blood.

That's not the real Dracula. That's the Dracula Wraith that was brought about by Maxim's twisted alter-ego created by Maxim via the power of Dracula's remains. Dracula himself never made an appearance in HoD. It was just his body possessed by a wicked spirit.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 01:48:22 AM »
LoI got me into the series so naturally I had to go with the Iga Dracula option

Offline Morning star

• Vanquishing Evil Since 1987
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Vintage video game collector.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 02:53:42 AM »
Classic.

To pick just one.. I like the version in super Castlevania 4 the best.

This magic whip could be an example of advanced alien technology.

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 11:08:16 AM »
Well I like Gabriel Dracula the best I guess. And I guess I dislike Castlevania 3 Dracula the most because wtf? Robes? A Wand?

In terms of design, I would say his design for Order of Ecclesia is my favorite. Just mainly because instead of turning into a monster for his second phase he just becomes more aggressive and actually walks from time to time.

After that, I think its a tie between the Rondo of Blood/Symphony of the Night sprite design, with the Symphony of the Night portrait design of older Dracula vs Rondos younger Dracula and the his design in Portrait of Ruin.

Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust was mentioned in the thread about the Castle itself and I'm going to bring it up here because I've always wanted a Castlevania Dracula to use his cape in the same fashion that Meier Link used his in that film.

Offline K.K. Drunkinski

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 08:17:12 AM »
If you want to be real technical about it, there are only three different "Draculas" in the different versions of the CV storyline: Vlad Dracula, and then Gabriel Belmont and Mathias Cronqvist. From the first Castlevania game all the way up to the N64 titles, Dracula is obviously the real deal, Vlad Dracula. And until the change in LoI, the games heavily drew on Dracula's historical background. For example, at the end of Simon's Quest, you see Dracula's tombstone, and it reads "1431-1476." These are the actual birth and death dates of the historical Vlad Dracula. And by the way, Dracula was not a nickname. "Tepes", or "Impaler" was the nickname, and only given to him after his death. He also signed his name "Dracula." Copies of his signature still exist. Also, in Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, the game takes place in 1476, which would be the year Dracula died, hence, the same exact time he would have become a vampire.

And Castlevania Bloodlines finally made the Bram Stoker novel "Dracula" part of the canon, and in that book, Dracula is clearly an undead Vlad. Van Helsing makes this abundantly clear in chapter 18 when he says "He must, indeed, have been that Voivode Dracula who won his name against the Turk, over the great river on the very frontier of Turkeyland. If it be so, then was he no common man, for in that time, and for centuries after, he was spoken of as the cleverest and the most cunning, as well as the bravest of the sons of the 'land beyond the forest.' That mighty brain and that iron resolution went with him to his grave, and are even now arrayed against us."

Personally, I'm not really a fan of the direction the series went with making Dracula into someone else, who, well, wasn't REALLY Dracula, but just happened to take that name at a later date. So for me, classic Dracula is the only real "Dracula."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 10:35:56 AM »
Also, in Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, the game takes place in 1476, which would be the year Dracula died, hence, the same exact time he would have become a vampire.

Well to be fair the original date of CV III was 1492. It's true Vlad was assassinated in 1476 hence the date on his tombstone. However the place where he was supposedly buried is empty. Following this logic we can assume that Vlad became Dracula prior to CV III but was killed. However he didn't die in 1476 but instead came back as the vampire Dracula and was then put down in 1492 by Trevor & company. The only reason why CV III's date was moved back was because of IGA's timeline. Also CoD took place three years after 1476 thus throwing out the window the original Konami timeline's date of events. Personally the Konami one works better with CV III.

Also welcome to the Dungeon K.K.Drunkinski  :)

Offline ganonfloyd

• Hunter in Training
  • Listen without distraction.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 01:17:55 PM »
Christopher Lee.

Doho, a four way tie. Went with evil Drac. I don't mind the characterizations and such that he ended up getting but he's at his best for me when he's straight up evil. Order of Ecclesia had a great way of doing this for all ten minutes of screen time he had.

Tags:

anything