Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: First time leader, somewhat longer-time player...  (Read 3727 times)

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
First time leader, somewhat longer-time player...
« on: September 09, 2017, 08:40:33 PM »
So for the first time tonight, I DM'd a D&D session with my group.  It was...okay.  I knew it would be rough because of how little experience I even have with the game, but it was much more rough than I was hoping.  I wouldn't say I had the "beginner's luck" I was hoping for, but everyone said I did good and they liked it.  Our usual DM says he thinks I could be really good with practice -- that I have a great imagination and the beginning of my story was great, I just lack all the detail-knowledge of the game that only comes with experience.

Just thought I'd share that, I guess, with fellow nerds who might understand and/or be interested. :-)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: First time leader, somewhat longer-time player...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 09:05:11 AM »
DM'ing can be very intimidating. I've only ever done it once myself since I much prefer the role-playing aspect. Having a great imagination is key to being a DM. It helps to create the world in which the DM immerses the players. Storytelling is also a great asset to have as well since it sets up the scenes in the players' minds. Your friend's right though. All it takes is practice to find your footing. And the more you do it the more natural it will come to you. If you did well for your first time then you should have no real trouble the next time 'round. Good luck if you choose to DM again  ;)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags: