Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Which one is the correct word?  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« on: September 10, 2013, 03:47:26 PM »
I see a lot of people here uses the word "then" when it should be "than".
Isn't "then" used as in "after" or when reminiscing the past?
And "than" used for comparing?
Or am I the one who is mistaken?
I am asking because english is not my native language and maybe I'm wrong.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 04:27:39 PM »
You're right, when writing the correct way for comparisons is "than". While "then" means that something is before or after something else. ( http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/then http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/than ) but in everyday usage you'll sometimes hear "then" used in place of "than" because of regional accents or because it's slightly faster to say. So I'd say people here are just unconsciously following that convention.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 04:28:25 PM »
+4
Yes, you are correct, its something like "Sypha boobs are larger than Maria boobs, then Maria was upset".
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 04:37:13 PM »
On Facebook and YouTube, you'll see a lot of Grammar Nazis correcting people on their misuse or lack of use of the word "than." A lot of native English speakers don't get it right for some reason.

But when pronouncing it, unless I really feel like stressing the word, it usually comes out sounding like "then."
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 01:13:40 PM »
I see, thanks!
I've seen it here only because I spent most of my online time here, I didn't mean like it was a mistake exclusive from here.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Tags:

anything