Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Francis the 1st is first pope from the Americas  (Read 4557 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Re: Francis the 1st is first pope from the Americas
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 08:48:48 AM »
One I read monitin I realized that it has to do with money, since it remembers money and monetizar.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Lone Wolf

Re: Francis the 1st is first pope from the Americas
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 05:11:46 PM »
You over-philosophized stuff, Lone Wolf. I was obviously not preaching about what grammatically is right or wrong but wondering about the origins of grammar, linguistics.
You can learn A LOT about a people's culture by studying their language. For instance, in modern English verbs are unaffected by the gender attributed to them. In Hebrew, Arabic and Russian, you need to change the ending of verbs according to the gender of whoever made the action. I give you an example: In English you say: "My brother read the book / my sister read the book" in Russian it's translated as "My brother chital the book / my sister chitala the book", in Hebrew it's "My brother Kara the book / my sister kar-ah the book." I don't know if in Spanish it's that way, but I suppose it can be.
The reason I am telling you that is because we had a lecture about feminism last week, and one of the teachers explained about how he often likes to switch the gender of the instructions in a test to female in order to make his pupils consider that.
You see, in Hebrew traditionally when you are addressing an unspecified gender, you usually use the male form of verbs. So the teacher decided to write "Kirii (female form of read instead of Kra- male form) the essay and ani (answer, instead of the male ane) the following questions". It usually confuses male students because they are not used to be addressed in the female form while the female students are used to being addressed in the male form. Makes you think.
Tell you another story, if I may. Once I wondered about the origin of the Hebrew word "monitin". Monitin is the Hebrew word for reputation. I wondered because even though it's a word that is used a lot in the Hebrew language, it doesn't sound Hebrew, while it is true that the -in ending is an archaic plural form for Hebrew words. I decided to read about it and discovered that the origin of the word is, no less, the period of the Second Temple. The origin of the archaic word is the Greek word "Moneta"- coin, which is probably the origin of the English "money". But what do coins have to do with reputation? It had to do with the fact that during the Greek-Roman periods coins had gravings of kings and emperors on them. If your face is on a coin, it means you have a lot of reputation, which is probably the explanation why Hebrew borrowed the Greek word to make a new, Hebrew word. That is fascinating because it shows how we often used words without understanding their history.

Yeah, i think you're right.. :P
Man, i should stop spending all night awake like that... o_o
But nvm, it's an interesting story over there, dude. :)

Tags: "