Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The Halloween 98 hack  (Read 6380 times)

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: March 26, 2016, 07:35:21 PM »
Found the hack, and I actually thought it was great!... Until the game fucked itself. So, the first two stages feel really balanced and easy but not boring easy: It was the right difficulty level. One platforming segment in stage 2 with Medusa heads was a legitimately fun challenge to overcome after dying, something a lot of CV hacks fail to do IMO. Then stage 3... halfway through, when you open a door, there's no floor where Simon finishes walking, and you fall to your death constantly, making the game unbeatable.

Why was this done?? I'm assuming it would be done if someone wasn't finished with the hack but wanted to put out a work in progress, but on a fan wiki it claims it's unbeatable. Maybe the guy making it stopped halfway through? Idk, but  the layout of the room with that death trap is made in a way where you could traverse it and continue. Some kind of joke? lol, my review of a complete time waster  :rollseyes:

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 12:20:45 AM »
sounds like the guy was doing an April fools gig with this hack. No sane rom hacker does this unless it's some kind of joke hack. If the author in question didn't finish it completely and launched it as a WIP then he needs to get back to work, lol.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 03:36:45 PM »
Yeah, the only real explanation that could make sense. What's weird is someone did a play through of "Halloween 98 Reborn", and it's he same except the floor is there at that pet, making the game beatable. I couldn't find "Reborn" anywhere, so idk where the dude got it from unless it was taken down for some reason.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 07:33:09 PM by Crying Freeman »

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Registered Massholevaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Smashing controllers since 1982
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 06:27:00 PM »
Grab Stake from Zophars or ROM hacking.net and finish the game's development yourself if you really feel ambitious. ROM hacking is funnnnnn shit!!!!!!

Remember my name and know this. I have Suffolk Down Syndrome.

Stop me if you've heard this one.
A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"
ULTIMATE FOURTH WALL BREAK!!! That just happened!!!

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 10:27:14 PM »
I've always thought about giving it a try. Even if it's just some sprite hacks, it'd be amazing to go for it! I wouldn't make those almost impossible ones though lol, those just aren't fun

Tags:

anything