Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Jedah in MVC infinite  (Read 2324 times)

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« on: August 18, 2017, 03:53:37 AM »

also is that Grandmaster Meio at 1:36?!

okay i gotta admit, this looks cool.  while i'm a HUGE fan of fighting games (at least what they were before the contamination it underwent by trying to cater to the "e-sports" crowd, yuck.), i still don't really want to play this, or even try it.  let me explain -
while i'm ALL for them introducing yet another Darkstalkers character (especially one of Jedah's caliber), it still doesn't save the game for me in the slightest.  there's some fantastic additions to the roster this time around, and given capcom's propensity for recycling previously used assets, there's no doubt in my mind that all previous characters from UMVC3 will be returning.  i intensely love nearly all of these characters and am ecstatic to see them appear in any capacity, but they're playing on our nostalgia.  not only that, the games themselves have become a pathetic example of *glitter over substance* which we see far too often in games these days.  these two-button supers and down+forward "fireworks" mechanics with ridiculously simplified gameplay have taken something i once passionately enjoyed and tainted it by dumbing it down so anyone can play.

i'd LOVE to see a resurrection of the Darkstalkers series, it's another one of capcom's most interesting/innovative IPs that they seem to have just thrown away over the past 15 years *cough* mega man *cough*.  i'd be more than happy if they brought it back over nearly anything that could possibly be released these days...  but not if it ends up playing like this.  not if they give it the SFV treatment.  Darkstalkers was not only interesting from a design standpoint, but because of the challenge it presented that took time & skill to master.  it seems they've taken all of that away in favour of making it more accessible for beginners to pick up and play, which is just... just wrong.

so yeah, they're utilizing their existing IPs to play on our nostalgia to make a quick buck.  from a business standpoint, this makes sense.  from every other perspective, it's a cheap blow to the fanbase who made them the successful company that they are today.

i'm starting to feel the same way about fighting games as i ended up feeling about Castlevania.  it's best just to remember these games as the masterpieces once were.  sure we can hope for the best - maybe things will shift back to the way they once were, or maybe it's up to the fans to carry it on with new games made the way that appealed to us in the first place.  for now, things are looking pretty bleak, though...

rant over *sigh*
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 04:18:00 AM by redrum »

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 05:03:34 AM »
"Nearly every other character from umvc3"?? I must've missed the memo that said this game was getting Xmen.

Every industry is about money these days, and this game is the epitome of Capcom trying to win back old fans with their new cheap shiny toy.

There are still decent fighters out there but I don't believe this is one of them. For an MVC game it also seems to lack a unique sense of identity. It's taking popularised snippets from the Avengers films and trying to merge them with a 1d cinematic story on the 6 stones. The whole thing seems forced. I don't recall story being the main element or focus of that many fighters.

Think I'll pass on this. 
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^