Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: August 30, 2017, 12:27:04 PM »
OH MY GOOOUUUURRRDD!!!!

Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 06:18:40 PM »
Suda51 kind of confirmed this back at the Switch announcement event. Apparently it's been in the works for a while. Now, while the series certainly stands out, I've never gotten into it. But from what I recall, it was going to be different than the two Wii games.

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 03:17:59 AM »
ohhhkayyy...  i gotta admit that before i saw this trailer i was pumped down / un-hyped...

...but now that i've seen it, i might as well break out the old Davis Douchetown costume again for this halloween! 8)

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 10:03:35 AM »
I never played No More Heroes, but I loved Shadows of the Damned and Lollipop Chainsaw.  How does No More Heroes (and Killer is Dead, while we're at it) rate compared to those?

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 11:18:27 AM »
I enjoy all of those games, but none were directed by SUDA51. All of the more recent Grasshopper Manufacture games carry his style, but it often feels like imitation rather than genuine weirdness. Suda's games have a certain sophistication and storytelling that the other games severely lack, and the strange and surreal elements feel more like David Lynch than, say, Tim Burton or something else equally superficial.

The first NMH is the last game Suda's directed, until this upcoming Travis Strikes Again. It's one of GhM's absolute best, and the hack-and-slash controls have a very intuitive design with the use of the Wii Remote; it's one of the few Wii games where waggle actually feels necessary and downright fun. If you liked Lollipop Chainsaw, definitely give it a try, because it's that and so much more.

Of the GhM games I've played, I'd probably rank 'em as such:

1. killer7
2. No More Heroes
3. Shadows of the Damned
4. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
5. Lollipop Chainsaw
6. Killer Is Dead
7. Black Knight Sword
8. No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise (HD remake with stilted controls)
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 02:53:17 PM »
Thanks!  I forgot about Killer 7.  I always meant to pick that one up.  I'll add these to the list.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 10:05:58 PM »
Damn, I haven't started NMH2 yet. I gotta get on that.

No More Heroes was probably my favorite game that Suda51 was involved with in some capacity or another (still haven't cracked open Lollipop Chainsaw or Killer is Dead, though). Loved the bosses in that one.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Tags:

anything