Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: castlevania soundtrack "restoration" project  (Read 20451 times)

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: castlevania soundtrack "restoration" project
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2010, 09:57:45 PM »
SWEET!!!  :o ;D

These are awesome, thanks for uploading, and tell ur brother thanks for making the originals.
Behold my true form......IS A CHAIR!!!

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2010, 07:49:39 PM »
Once again, thanks for these. Been listening to them for past two days.
Behold my true form......IS A CHAIR!!!

Offline bucky

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2010, 11:58:26 PM »
Thanks for that link! And, another quick question for Abnormal Freak.

Does CV2: Belmont's Revenge (from Akumajo Dracula Best 2 or other OSTs) sound like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GeL_EjdkYg (dry, bass/ wave channel too quiet)

Or this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5CY9uimc9E (reverb, and sped up)

I'm assuming it's the latter, because the bass being too quiet probably comes from poor wave channel emulation from in_gbs or another sound emulator, but just figured I'd double check. It'd be pretty odd if they sped up all the tracks, huh? Anyways, I'm all set on track titles. This is another one I should have up by next weekend.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2010, 03:06:40 AM »
It's the latter. That upload is of the OST track. That is odd it's sped up; I never noticed because, shamefully, I've never even played the game, ha ha. Been meaning to do so for years.

VK: Glad you're enjoying the tunes.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline bucky

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2010, 06:21:16 PM »
Here's a couple quick comparisons of Bloodlines from the CD versus the hardware (model 2 genesis with the CCAM mod).
http://tinyurl.com/3426ph3
http://tinyurl.com/2v3b8zj

Granted the CD part comes from a 128k MP3, but it's still a valid comparison which shows you just how soaked in reverb it was. You can also hear that the panning was lessened and moved closer to the center.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2010, 01:51:33 AM »
Curious, if you record Bloodlines, which Genesis model you'll use. Far as I know, the first model sounds the best—definitely the bassiest and most badass. :o And I'd imagine it'd record in stereo since you can listen to it in stereo using the headphones jack.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Juno106

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2010, 05:38:09 AM »
Changes in the mixing circuit resulted in later revisions of the hardware producing more distorted sound output than earlier models

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Drive#Audio

Click the wiki link for a sound comparison 

Offline bucky

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2010, 06:29:16 AM »
The general consensus is that the model 1 (which I own) sounds the best 'out of the box', with the headphone jack, while the model 2 with the 'crystal clear audio mod' (which a friend owns) is also some of the best sound you can get. I'll likely be sampling from the model 2 w/ ccam, but I'll also do some recording from mine first and see which I think sounds better. Getting stereo from whatever model/ output we use also won't be an issue. :)

Here's a quick explanation on the 'ccam'-
http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2009/07/tmee-genesis-2-crystal-clear-audio-mod.html

Here's a more detailed site for audio comparisons-
http://milkcrate.com.au/_other/sega_comparisons/
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 06:47:10 AM by bucky »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2010, 01:04:49 PM »
Ah, cool. The CCAM one does sound rather clear, but I still think I prefer the model 1 headphone sound. It's a little murky by comparison, I suppose, but it's got kick. It's asking a lot, but if you could record Bloodlines both ways entirely, that would be cool. ;) It would give two very unique and interesting versions of the soundtrack.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline bucky

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2010, 05:40:29 PM »
That sounds like a good idea. I'll be down to do both, but due to impatience I'll likely do one well before the other. :)

Anyways, I'm in the middle of sampling Belmont's Revenge and I realized there are two slightly different versions of "Road to Enemy". Tracks 12 and 13 from the GBS file. One has a snare intro and more panning effects, while the other doesn't.

After watching a playthrough on youtube, the bottom version with the snare intro seems to be the one used in all the levels. Does anyone know if that means the other one is unused? Or is there a circumstance in which you can hear the other track in-game, like perhaps dying in one of those areas and having the intro-less version play when you respawn? Just wondering if anyone knows for certain before I bust out the rom and start looking for it... (it's back to 4th of july celebrations for now, lol)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2010, 01:32:14 AM »
Dunno if this helps, but on Akumajo Dracula Best 2, there's a song entitled "Road of Enemy (Before Boss BGM)" (titled "Road of Enemy #1" on Akumajo Dracula Best Music Collections Box), and another called "Road of Enemy #2 (Before Last Boss BGM)". You say slightly different, though, so that can't be it.

And just because it rocks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f5VyBA7ATY

I really need to play this game soon.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline bucky

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2010, 03:59:26 PM »
Ah yeah, there are two slightly different versions of "Road of Enemy (Before Boss BGM)", and they put the unused / I-don't-know-where-it-is-in-game version on the CD. Road of Enemy #2 is indeed a totally different track, that one's not a problem. 8) I think I'm just going to throw the weird one up as "Road of Enemy (Alternate)", as the last track, where I usually put unused tunes and the like.

Offline bucky

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2010, 10:21:09 PM »
Belmont's Revenge added to the first post! If you check out the youtube uploads there's some fun pop-up-video stuffs in Chromatische Phantasie and Passpied. :P

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2010, 10:55:29 PM »
Bah! I hate looking at "Passepied" without that first E. ;) I'll just be renaming the track here...

I also prefer Soleil to Soleiyu. ;) *Renames those*

Great job, as always.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 11:27:53 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline bucky

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2010, 11:50:57 PM »
Ugh, I know, I have mixed feelings on following names when they sound like bad translations or typos.

Tags:

anything