Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: How long has the ride been?  (Read 20132 times)

Offline Vatican29

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
How long has the ride been?
« on: September 21, 2010, 09:21:34 PM »
Ladies and gents, this evening I have seen a few people just start on their adventures with Castlevania, and it sparked my curiosity.

Aside from ofrum ranks and all that jazz (no disrespect intended at all) I wanted to see how much history some of us have been able to see unfold.

I started playing Castlevania in 1987....At 7 years old, I had little idea of what I would be able to see come and go in this series.  Sometimes, it is hard to wrap my head around the fact that I have been playing games that long, but honestly, to know that I have really grown up on one series in earnest, well, its a feeling of sweet nostalgia in a way.

How long has everyone else been around Castlevania?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:56:34 PM by Vatican29 »

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 09:26:46 PM »
mid to early 90s... dunno when but before the super nintendo.

Offline DingusBelmondo

• Mysterious Stranger
  • Vampire Hunter
  • "Is this your wife? What a lovely throat!"
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 09:38:35 PM »
1999, age seven, year of the solar eclipse (lololololololol). Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge, picked up used on a total whim because the cover art was cool. Never looked back. Eleven years..... damn. My favorites so far? All the GBA Castlevanias were extremely exciting to me at the age i played them... Can't pick a favorite though.
Go. Set Forth! Both your own life and hers are at stake.

Offline Vatican29

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: How long has the ride been?
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 09:41:16 PM »
1999, age seven, year of the solar eclipse (lololololololol). Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge, picked up used on a total whim because the cover art was cool. Never looked back. Eleven years..... damn. My favorites so far? All the GBA Castlevanias were extremely exciting to me at the age i played them... Can't pick a favorite though.

Hmm.  Where abouts are you from?

US titled CVII as Simon's Quest.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 09:42:55 PM »
Somewhere around '90, '91 or '92. I honestly don't know, but the first CV game I ever played was CV2 for the NES. Even though I could not make heads or tails of it and not knowing what to do or where to go, I still enjoyed the gameplay and I still play the game. But my first intoduction to video games themselves started around '86, possibly '87.

I believe he's reffering to the Gameboy title.
-X
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:44:40 PM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline corneliab

• Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 09:43:44 PM »

He's talking about the GB game.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
I started playing since day 1, not the same day CV was released, but later that year. I've noticed a lot of people keep using the "that being said" phrase in their posts.

That being said, I hope the next generation will come to appreciate the classics & learn not to differentiate between "classicvania" & "metroidvania," they're ALL Castlevania games and should be considered & treated as such.

Offline Vatican29

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 09:45:26 PM »
Somewhere around '90, '91 or '92. I honestly don't know, but the first CV game I ever played was CV2 for the NES. Even though I could not make heads or tails of it and not knowing what to do or where to go, I still enjoyed the gameplay and I still play the game. But my first intoduction to video games themselves started around '86, possibly '87.

-X

Sweet.  I had the same experience with CVII.  HA!  I remember trying to figure out the crystal secret with the tornado for a month.

Offline Vatican29

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 09:47:29 PM »
I started playing since day 1, not the same day CV was released, but later that year. I've noticed a lot of people keep using the "that being said" phrase in their posts.

That being said, I hope the next generation will come to appreciate the classics & learn not to differentiate between "classicvania" & "metroidvania," they're ALL Castlevania games and should be considered & treated as such.

Sorry bout the double, first and foremost.

POWERAGREED with your statement.  Spoken like a vet, to be sure.

Offline corneliab

• Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 09:48:43 PM »

This makes next to no sense. They're very different kinds of games.

You want to promote ignorance?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 09:51:12 PM »
I think he was joking. He was complaining ablout how lots of people use the term 'that being said' and then he literally used that term. I got it.  ;D

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
They play differently, yes, but people like to think they're so vastly different that the other half aren't considered "real" cv titles, which is nonsense.

Offline Vatican29

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 09:57:48 PM »
They play differently, yes, but people like to think they're so vastly different that the other half aren't considered "real" cv titles, which is nonsense.

It is nonsense...

23 years is a long time, which is why appreciation is crucial.  It's sort of like sitting down with my cousin and have him whoop my arse in Madden and think he's pwning me.  Flip on Tecmo Bowl and he can't understand how A) the Bears were the best team at the time or B) how you can possibly function with only 2 buttons.

Fundamentaly, it is still football.  As CV is still CV.  But, we'd be wandering a bit from the topic, no?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 10:01:03 PM by Vatican29 »

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 10:11:08 PM »
Ladies and gents, this evening I have seen a few people just start on their adventures with Castlevania, and it sparked my curiosity.

Aside from ofrum ranks and all that jazz (no disrespect intended at all) I wanted to see how much history some of us have been able to see unfold.

I started playing Castlevania in 1987....At 7 years old, I had little idea of what I would be able to see come and go in this series.  That being said, it is hard to wrap my head around the fact that I have been playing games that long, but honestly, to know that I have really grown up on one series in earnest, well, its a feeling of sweet nostalgia in a way.

How long has everyone else been around Castlevania?

Although I've been playing in earnest since NES CV1 back in the 80's, the first Castlevania I actually bought was SCV4 for SNES.  Years later, I had almost given up on video games after the Nintendo 64 completely failed to meet my expectations --blocky polygon graphics just hit my off switch.  Then in 1998 (quite by chance) a college dorm-mate lent me his Playstation without any attractive games to play --so I headed to the local video store and found Castlevania calling my name.  Symphony of the Night completely restored my faith and I bought a Playstation the next day.  Today work, marriage, and fatherhood have largely driven games from my life the last few years --I've only found time to play portables now and then *Dracula X Chronicles was a blast* but I haven't owned a home console in over 3 years.  But all of that is about to change.

Offline Vatican29

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 10:17:31 PM »
Although I've been playing in earnest since NES CV1 back in the 80's, the first Castlevania I actually bought was SCV4 for SNES.  Years later, I had almost given up on video games after the Nintendo 64 completely failed to meet my expectations --blocky polygon graphics just hit my off switch.  Then in 1998 (quite by chance) a college dorm-mate lent me his Playstation without any attractive games to play --so I headed to the local video store and found Castlevania calling my name.  Symphony of the Night completely restored my faith and I bought a Playstation the next day.  Today work, marriage, and fatherhood have largely driven games from my life the last few years --I've only found time to play portables now and then *Dracula X Chronicles was a blast* but I haven't owned a home console in over 3 years.  But all of that is about to change.

HAHA!!!! Hats off to you for sticking with it through the bad title.  SOTN did that for many, I think.  I had actually PASSED that title several times in the video store because of what 64 almost did. 

Tags:

anything