Poll

Why haven't you joined Operation Akumajo?

I think it's a pointless exercise
7 (13.7%)
I don't agree with any of it's objectives
3 (5.9%)
I agree with some but not all of it's objectives
15 (29.4%)
I'd like to join but I don't have a facebook account etc
7 (13.7%)
Another reason (please explain in a response)
3 (5.9%)
I've already joined up
16 (31.4%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Why haven't you joined Operation Akumajo?  (Read 19381 times)

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Re: Why haven't you joined Operation Akumajo?
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2011, 07:51:17 AM »
Because thats all Operation Akumajo is.
"We hate LoS and the way it reinvented Castlevania, we demand only 2D games and IGA games back"

Flame, please do not misrepresent the group's mission statement.  Here it is for your review.

We are an activist community dedicated to preserving the heart and soul of Castlevania as we have known it for 25 years.  We fully embrace the legacy of 2-D action-platforming, as well as the legendary rivalry between Count Dracula and the Belmont Clan.  We have named ourselves "Akumajo" in honor of Castlevania's Japanese origins, but also as a counterpoint to Konami's recent attempt to reboot and westernize the Castlevania brand.  Although we accept Lords of Shadow as a fine game in its own right, we cannot accept the desecration it brings to the Demon Castle mythology.

For years, we have endured a love/hate relationship with our friends at Konami over their treatment of Castlevania.  We remember waiting 14 years for Rondo of Blood to reach western shores.  We lamented multiple attempts to reinvent Castlevania in 3-D.  We grumbled over cheapening production values and shamelessly recycled content.  And now we gnash our teeth at the possibility that Lords of Shadow may indeed be replacing the Castlevania legacy we know and love.

Recently, we were outraged to learn that Konami had not announced any plans to celebrate Castlevania’s 25th Anniversary in any meaningful way whatsoever.  After so many years of loyal support on our part, we felt this particular oversight was one dishonor too many.  Therefore, we have finally joined together to make our displeasure known, and to challenge Konami to hold itself and Castlevania to a higher standard.

First, we believe Konami should finish the original continuity by reinstating Koji Igarashi to produce the "1999 Demon Castle War" as it was originally foretold by Aria of Sorrow over 8 years ago.  Naturally, we expect this game to honor the Castlevania legacy by embracing the highest standards of 2-D gameplay, graphics, and design.

Secondly, we concede the Castlevania brand needs a reboot --however, we insist the traditional mythology be respected in doing so.  Therefore, we believe Konami needs to redesign and remaster Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse.  Revisiting these old roots will properly introduce a new generation of players to the Castlevania story, and also pay appropriate tribute to longtime fans of the series.  We expect this remake to honor the original, but also demonstrate the same high standards desired of the Demon Castle War.

Castlevania has been in decline for a very long time.  Therefore, these games must be treated as serious investments with adequate resources, time, and attention to reach their full potential.  Moreover, we also insist that both games be developed in high definition for release on modern home consoles.  Over 14 years have passed since Symphony of the Night, and we have waited far too long...

If you agree with our aims and objectives, please “like” our page on Facebook to help us grow.  Castlevania’s 25th Anniversary arrives officially on September 26, 2011 and we’re planning to celebrate...

As you can see.  We are NOT calling for Lords of Shadow to be ABANDONED --we are calling for the traditional mythology and 2-D gameplay to be PROTECTED.  There IS a difference.  And as I stated in the other topic, there will be a LoS sequel made regardless of any fan outcry, because Konami is pleased by the sales and will ultimately follow the money.

And yes we demand 2-D games because we believe 2-D is the superior artform for Castlevania.  Konami has already shown their willingness to damage the brand by pushing mediocre 3-D titles --regardless of critical feedback or poor sales.  Now that LoS actually appears to be viable, they've become emboldened and there's simply no stopping them.

So with the future of 3-D secured, that leaves us wondering about 2-D.  Remember that portables are no longer the safe haven they used to be --Konami may well ask Mercury Steam to make 3-D Castlevanias for the handhelds too.  The threat here is that Lords of Shadow is poised to replace the traditional mythology and the 2-D gameplay --and even our members that loved Lords of Shadow don't want to see that happen.

As for IGA --he's only needed for Demon Castle War.  That's all.

Hope that clears a few things up.

OH!  One last thing.  I asked you in the other topic about the multiversal approach --where these vastly different games can coexist side by side...  Is it so hard to live and let live?  Why must one replace the other?  And why must the Castlevania name be used to sell a game that was obviously strong enough to stand on its own 2 feet?  I wonder how much of this would have been averted if Konami were bold enough to say "let's launch a new IP and call it Lords of Shadow"...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:19:49 AM by cecil-kain »

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2011, 07:55:59 AM »
I'm starting to think that some people's mind is too small to handle 2 different separate continuities.

Everything comes full circle

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2011, 07:59:46 AM »
I'm starting to think that some people's mind is too small to handle 2 different separate continuities.

Flamebait.

Read the edit I just posted.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2011, 08:00:44 AM »
This is why I feel OA wont work, no one here knows what they want out of Castlevania anymore and the fanbase it too divided and will continue to be for a long LONG time by the looks of it. The only thing we can all agree with is that we want more Castlevania and that's where the agreement starts and ends because so many people want something different out of Castlevania weather it be 2D/3D, old continuity/ new continuity, Classicvania/Metroidvania etc. So trying to get an divided fanbase to take action against a million/billion dollar company, that quite frankly doesn't give a shit about what we think and only follows the money, is a wasted effort.

I want to believe in the efforts of OA and I want to believe it will make a difference but sadly, it's like beliving in Santa Claus and pro wrestling is real.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2011, 08:02:39 AM »
Flamebait.

Read the edit I just posted.
Not talking precisely about you

Everything comes full circle

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2011, 08:16:48 AM »
This is why I feel OA wont work, no one here knows what they want out of Castlevania anymore and the fanbase it too divided and will continue to be for a long LONG time by the looks of it. The only thing we can all agree with is that we want more Castlevania and that's where the agreement starts and ends because so many people want something different out of Castlevania weather it be 2D/3D, old continuity/ new continuity, Classicvania/Metroidvania etc. So trying to get an divided fanbase to take action against a million/billion dollar company, that quite frankly doesn't give a shit about what we think and only follows the money, is a wasted effort.

I want to believe in the efforts of OA and I want to believe it will make a difference but sadly, it's like beliving in Santa Claus and pro wrestling is real.

IMO the divided fanbase is the only real problem to overcome.  Quite frankly, I thought it would be easier to get everyone fired up about preserving traditional 2-D Castlevania --after all that's how most of us became fans in the first place.  It's kinda like politics --some people will throw their votes away if they can't find a candidate that agrees with them 100%.  I also understand the cynicism that's out there, but if we make the effort to have our voices heard --we can at least say that we tried instead of trapping ourselves in a defeatist mindset.

Offline jestercolony

• Slow Silence
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2011, 08:20:32 AM »
2D period needs to be preserved because its an old art form regardless what franchise uses it. Castlevania is one said franchise that holds strongly with this. I agree upon this; but this makes this group of activist seem more like a historical group (which honestly is cool!) but times are changing and we are all getting old :(

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2011, 08:46:12 AM »
Not talking precisely about you

But you ARE talking about people here, so you are still flamebaiting by snidely insulting.
Curb that.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2011, 09:11:32 AM »
Ahasverus sniping at people who may have slighted Lords of Shadow? Heavens, I didn't see that coming!  :P

Basically Cecil, I think what you should be focusing on, rather than going and dictating how the CV games should be produced and so on, is simply getting Konami to acknowledge the fans AT ALL. We can't very well call for 2D traditional Castlevania games, when we're getting nothing saying we're going to have any Castlevania games at all in the near future. You should be calling attention to the fanbase IN GENERAL, rather than specifying exactly what you want from the get go.

PRIORITIZE. You should set out goals, and once those goals are met, THEN continue with the next more specific goal. It should be something like this:

Gather followers--->gain notoriety through gaming news outlets--->gets Konami's attention in ANY way--->specify your desires (not demands)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2011, 09:31:32 AM »
^^^
Listen to Sindra, she's knows whats up.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2011, 09:53:18 AM »
Yes Sumac, Konami must no longer cater to so-called "fans," rebooted Castlevania is we must accept, even if it don't resemble original much or at all. We must accept, emotion is meaningless, i am a robot IGA does not compute
For me LOS resmble Castlevania, so your opinion is just...your opinion, not a truth.
As for the emotions - it's better think with logic and see reality, rather than degrade yourself into whining child that couldn't think out of it's box and see every change as a corruption of it's ideal game. Though of course fandoms, epecially old ones, mostly consist from whining children, so it's not surprising that opposite or even moderate opinion will be ridiculed.

That's a little harsh don't you think? That's like complaining the classic megaman games or the mario games are all the same cause they all revolve around the same gameplay despite the minor new features.
I am not big fan of neither franchises. Besides in case of Mario there are many games that's not even platformers, so argument about him is invalid.
I like changes. I like to see old games, old ideas in the new light with the new approach, even if it's radical department from what was done before. If I want to play Castlevania with the "metroidvania" gameplay - there is plenty of them. I want something new maybe even something experimental, given it will have neccesary quality and support general theme of the series.

So honestly? OA is on the right track for actually bringing back the unity of the fanbase instead of seeing it ripped apart.  2D needs to be preserved and respected; but 3D is a must also. Reason to this is that kids these days really have no interest in the "old school" as times have changed. This isn't the 80s or 90s anymore. The days of the FX chip are gone my friends.

Totally agree. Especially that people must understand that 90-s long gone.

It takes a lot more than that to present a convincing Castlevania game.
So what else there should be to create Castlevania game that fit some mythological "standarts"?  :)

And yes we demand 2-D games because we believe 2-D is the superior artform for Castlevania.
I don't believe. 2D days come and go. I'm perfectly OK with series transition in 3D. CV64 was a good game. LOI had potential. LOS was good. All of them give what I wanted from the Castlevania and what I couldn't find in latest 2D titles.

IMO the divided fanbase is the only real problem to overcome.
It's mostly impossible since fandom was divided so many times, you need a miracle to make all of the fans unite. Like ultimate Castlevania game that will satisfy absolutely everyone. Or complete death of the franchise.
And since such ultimate CV is impossible, due to aforementioned reason, and Konami have they views on the future of the series (as of now), than unifying fanbase is impossible as well.

In order to unite people you need some goal, target that will be supported by the majority of people. In the case of OA there is no such goal.

Offline SenileSnake

• moron who becomes dracula
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2011, 10:20:28 AM »
I didn't join it because it's dumb and I don't want everyone to know I am part of a dumb thing.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2011, 10:22:07 AM »
I never said my opinion was truth, but it's certainly the more popular one. Believe it or not you're in the minority when you say "LoS is more CV-like than IGA's 2D games"... which is fine if you or others feel that way.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2011, 10:23:36 AM »
It's mostly impossible since fandom was divided so many times, you need a miracle to make all of the fans unite. Like ultimate Castlevania game that will satisfy absolutely everyone. Or complete death of the franchise.
And since such ultimate CV is impossible, due to aforementioned reason, and Konami have they views on the future of the series (as of now), than unifying fanbase is impossible as well.

In order to unite people you need some goal, target that will be supported by the majority of people. In the case of OA there is no such goal.

I have said once before that I think Konami should take a page from Sega's book.

Look at Sonic Generations for example.

It is a game made to cater to new and old fans.

And so far the majority of the fanbase has come together and united and all have love for this new entry into the sonic saga.

Why the hell can't Konami do something similar?

Like make a game that caters to new and old fans?

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2011, 10:33:28 AM »
Ahasverus sniping at people who may have slighted Lords of Shadow? Heavens, I didn't see that coming!  :P

Basically Cecil, I think what you should be focusing on, rather than going and dictating how the CV games should be produced and so on, is simply getting Konami to acknowledge the fans AT ALL. We can't very well call for 2D traditional Castlevania games, when we're getting nothing saying we're going to have any Castlevania games at all in the near future. You should be calling attention to the fanbase IN GENERAL, rather than specifying exactly what you want from the get go.

PRIORITIZE. You should set out goals, and once those goals are met, THEN continue with the next more specific goal. It should be something like this:

Gather followers--->gain notoriety through gaming news outlets--->gets Konami's attention in ANY way--->specify your desires (not demands)

The purpose of the first Youtube video was to introduce the group and its premise --which is basically the mission statement in a more visual sort of form.  Right now I'm working on a 25th Anniversary Tribute...  A good friend of mine has a lot of experience in marketing and one thing he suggested was to leverage the 25th Anniversary as an opportunity to call attention to the Castlevania brand and give Konami "free publicity"  Creating a 25th Anniversary Tribute (even an amateur one) is already more than what they're doing.  After that, I think the endgame will look something like fans coming together to create video testimonials about their appreciation and desire for Castlevania, what the games have meant to them over the years etc...  Operation Akumajo can then host the videos and help them circulate as part of a viral effort.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:44:46 AM by cecil-kain »

Tags:

anything