Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Konami/Dave Cox blacklisted IGN over LoS review score  (Read 9263 times)

Offline Aiddon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Konami/Dave Cox blacklisted IGN over LoS review score
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 06:46:17 AM »
Even disregarding quality of the title, I was talking about public perception. My own opinion is one thing, but that's separate from public consensus (which is that BotW deserved all the GOTY awards). The point is, the Japanophobic period that the gaming industry went through last generation now looks really stupid and really uncomfortable. I can't tell you how many sites were dripping with xenophobia back in those days. And it turns out the Japanese devs had the last laugh

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 09:44:21 AM »
Even disregarding quality of the title, I was talking about public perception. My own opinion is one thing, but that's separate from public consensus (which is that BotW deserved all the GOTY awards). The point is, the Japanophobic period that the gaming industry went through last generation now looks really stupid and really uncomfortable. I can't tell you how many sites were dripping with xenophobia back in those days. And it turns out the Japanese devs had the last laugh

That's cause anyone who even remotely entertains any level of arrogance about someone or something is going to take the fall. And fall very hard.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 09:49:19 AM »
+1
Is this 2013?

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2018, 10:45:49 AM »
the LoS games were trash anyways.  Konami made a huge mistake pushing IGA aside for western developer to take over Castlevania, whom obviously simply saw it as a money making opportunity.   Mercurysteam are just as bad as Ninja Theory, who ruined DmC and **** stained and scarred the DMC series to this day (capcom was also at fault approving DmC's direction)

though on the plus side, Konami's bad decision has helped influence IGA's eventual departure and the creation of Bloodstained Ritual of the Night.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 10:47:44 AM by affinity »

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 07:01:05 PM »
DMC had a pretty weird aesthetic, and way of re-imagining the series.  But in terms of gameplay it was 100% Devil May Cry and actually a really great evolution of what DMC3 was able to pull off.  It was much better than DMC4 which just reveled too hard in anime tropes, and didn't take the gameplay forward at all, not to mention the extra weapons were all ass.  Seriously, say what you will about the look of the game, but it is no LoS.  At least the gameplay felt the way it was supposed to.  I'd actually call it the most satisfying beat em up style gameplay of the last gaming generation.  I've been a huge DMC fan since the series started btw, it was my first ps2 game.  I really wish action gaming had taken more notes from DMC3 than GoW... basically every action game that comes out now is a "like GoW but..." blegh.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2018, 08:12:38 PM »
the LoS games were trash anyways.

wrong
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2018, 10:39:19 PM »
DMC had a pretty weird aesthetic, and way of re-imagining the series.  But in terms of gameplay it was 100% Devil May Cry and actually a really great evolution of what DMC3 was able to pull off.  It was much better than DMC4 which just reveled too hard in anime tropes, and didn't take the gameplay forward at all, not to mention the extra weapons were all ass.  Seriously, say what you will about the look of the game, but it is no LoS.  At least the gameplay felt the way it was supposed to.  I'd actually call it the most satisfying beat em up style gameplay of the last gaming generation.  I've been a huge DMC fan since the series started btw, it was my first ps2 game.  I really wish action gaming had taken more notes from DMC3 than GoW... basically every action game that comes out now is a "like GoW but..." blegh.

I don't agree that DMC4 had uninspired gameplay.
Which extra weapons specifically were ass? Assuming you're referring to Dante's playthrough, Gilgamesh and Pandora especially on specific bosses can mean victory in a matter of seconds rather than minutes.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Aiddon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2018, 10:28:10 PM »
I don't agree that DMC4 had uninspired gameplay.
Which extra weapons specifically were ass? Assuming you're referring to Dante's playthrough, Gilgamesh and Pandora especially on specific bosses can mean victory in a matter of seconds rather than minutes.

I loved doing a Lucifer-Pandora combo because that was funny to hell to watch enemies die in seconds clearly confused over what I did to them. Don't even get me started on what Vergil, Lady, and Trish can do in the Special Edition because that stuff went bonkers. NT just could not replicate those same levels of depth and elegance. Like I've said elsewhere, there's really nothing more to say about it because CAPCOM has clearly buried that game and everything to do with it.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2018, 07:21:42 AM »
I loved doing a Lucifer-Pandora combo because that was funny to hell to watch enemies die in seconds clearly confused over what I did to them. Don't even get me started on what Vergil, Lady, and Trish can do in the Special Edition because that stuff went bonkers. NT just could not replicate those same levels of depth and elegance. Like I've said elsewhere, there's really nothing more to say about it because CAPCOM has clearly buried that game and everything to do with it.

Preach.

Back when I played DMC4 Vanilla, I played on the hardest setting available on default. Pandora  on The Savior, followed by DT Gilgamesh during stun literally ends that fight in 2-3 minutes and delivers and S rank. Gilgamesh in particular is op against most bosses, particularly with DT activated.

I started playing SE with Vergil on Legendary Mode, that mode is insane and so are Vergil's abilities.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2018, 04:21:33 PM »

wrong
Finally it is time to remove our masks

puts on a mask

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 04:48:05 AM »
but it wasn't THE mask

sad!

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2018, 11:06:12 AM »
Finally it is time to remove our masks

puts on a mask

That part had me like "What.  Like, seriously, what!?".
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2018, 09:58:58 AM »
Do I hear a crying baby.  Man cox just grin and brear it, I've seen tons of great games get smashed Like the 3D Cv Games and do you see IGA cry butt hurt, NOOOOO.

I feel that and don't get me wrong  I really love the look and feel Of Los But he did come off as very up himself  being very much like

"The king of CV has arrived toss all those other game in the bin ya don need em. THIS is the only CV game you'll ever need" What  this? SoTN, that Litte game is nohting compred to  my game trust me, it better then sex, you'll love it,  Sorry who was the frist belmont to apper, thats easy Trevor DUH."

Thats really sums him up for me, and i find this news very  sad and i feel his had let himself down even more. As this is just  sour grapes.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:00:43 AM by Guy Belmont »
Last son of family Belmont.

https://thebelmonthold.home.blog/

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2018, 05:58:25 AM »
He was only credited as "product manager", though. A quick Google search gave the following description: "Helping create and implement marketing campaigns to maximise the sales of games." Which perfectly fits how he always came across as to me: somebody who's job it is to sell a product. This is also IGA's job but he was always heavily involved with on the production side, and from interviews you could tell he was very knowledgeable and passionate about the series.
Well, yeah, I mean, he DID say Masks have ALWAYS been an important aspect of the entire Castlevania series. ALWAYS! Remember when they are all featured as prominent items relevant to the series? I sure do....

That was a weird time in gaming. Both were made during times when Japanese companies were (unfairly) getting slammed left and right constantly while Western companies could do no wrong (in spite of constant studio closures). It was like being back in the Reagan era where Japanaphobia ran rampant and thus anything indicative of Japan was looked down upon. The two games were run as essentially smear campaigns, painting critics as straw men and even saying how the old entries were never good in the first place. It's a weird tactic to take when marketing a title and it backfired.

I would say whatever the hell Ninja Theory was trying to with DMC was the weirder of the two, because the DMC series was still going strong with Dante being a gaming icon and DMC 4 being a critical and commercial success. The thing that was really head tilting was not only how the Tamtam (the director) was constantly getting into feuds on Twitter, but that the press actively bent over backwards to deflect criticism from NT. What. The. Hell? That was just odd and it made the resulting fallout of the game nosediving look embarrassing for the press.

As for LoS, Cox clearly had no clue what he was doing. His interviews were always bringing up the pre-SOTN entries, but he clearly didn't realize those entries were platformers, not hack and slash. The press gobbled up LoS, but it didn't last because by the time LoS 2 was rolling out the MetroidVania genre had cemented itself as a go-to template for indie studios, meaning that MercurySteam now had to deal with some serious identity crisis and the fact that their approach was obsolete. And we all know how that went down. Critical and commercial flop to be left in the dustbin of history and Cox is now a laughingstock.

At the end of the day, those incidents seem really uncomfortable now. They've both been used as industry punching bags while Dante continues to endure as a cultural icon and Iga had one of the biggest gaming Kickstarters in history while the Netflix series drew upon the classic Castlevania lore and aesthetic, not whatever the hell LoS was trying to do. The smears against Japanese devs from back then also look really uncomfortable now, especially considering how last year brought a MONSTER selection of Japanese titles like Nioh, Yakuza 0/Kiwami, Persona 5, Nier: Automata, Super Mario Odyssey, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Goes to show that chasing after trends is a fool's errand
It was bullshit and I even called that sorta BS out back then. Everybody was all, like, "West be the BEST!!!" and ragging on how effeminate all Japanese characters were. Remember that, how that was a huge negative thing? Man, I'm glad those days are over. Fuck that period!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 06:00:28 AM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2018, 07:37:24 AM »
I’d like to hear Rugal’s opinion on this...
The worst monsters are human.

Tags: