Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: TMNT Existing works and future movie.  (Read 7279 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« on: September 26, 2012, 02:06:45 PM »
+2
OK. SO when I herd Michael Bay was doing the new TMNT movie and wanted to make them aliens instead of mutant I asked myself what stick that prick has up his butt for ruining my classic childhood memories. I hope that project never get's off the ground.

In contract I found out last night the the finale of the 2003 cartoon "Turtles Forever" featured a trans-dimentional plot that included both the 1987 series and the original comic. So I downloaded it and watched it. I should note here that I was never a big fan of the 2003 series because I just couldn't get into the idea of The Shredder being an alien resembling Krang. However, the final movie was a perfect example of how to both do a crossover project correctly and how to properly end a series in a way that that give a big "Thank You" to all the fans of all the versions of the series through out the years.

If you're a fan of any of the TMNT series or movies you owe it to yourself to watch "Turtles Forever".
"Stuff and things."

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Re: TMNT Existing works and future movie.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 02:30:02 PM »
OK. SO when I herd Michael Bay was doing the new TMNT movie and wanted to make them aliens instead of mutant I asked myself what stick that prick has up his butt for ruining my classic childhood memories. I hope that project never get's off the ground.

OK. SO when I herd Michael Bay was doing the new TMNT movie and wanted to make them aliens instead of mutants.

OK. SO when I herd Michael Bay was doing the new TMNT movie 

Michael Bay 

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

EDIT: Just so I don't totally de-rail this topic, I WILL make a note to watch that since I LOOOOVED the original series as a kid.
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 02:38:43 PM »
I don't have anything meaningful to add to this topic, but for my friend who is a fan of the original comic...

"I preferred TMNT when it was a side story to Daredevil."

I'll just let that stew for a bit.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 03:35:20 PM »

What? Thats not serious is it?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 03:40:02 PM »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 03:43:53 PM »
I don't have anything meaningful to add to this topic, but for my friend who is a fan of the original comic...

I'll just let that stew for a bit.

In other words, he liked it for all of, oh, five panels or so?

In contract I found out last night the the finale of the 2003 cartoon "Turtles Forever" featured a trans-dimentional plot that included both the 1987 series and the original comic. So I downloaded it and watched it. I should note here that I was never a big fan of the 2003 series because I just couldn't get into the idea of The Shredder being an alien resembling Krang. However, the final movie was a perfect example of how to both do a crossover project correctly and how to properly end a series in a way that that give a big "Thank You" to all the fans of all the versions of the series through out the years.

If you're a fan of any of the TMNT series or movies you owe it to yourself to watch "Turtles Forever".

The movie's pretty sweet. Regarding The Shredder in the 2003 series, well, the series followed the comics fairly close, but they obviously couldn't have done that regarding The Shredder because...he dies in the first issue. The Shredder didn't become a big deal in the overall comic canon until the cartoon came along. And he didn't resemble Krang, more like Krang resembled the Utroms from the comics, whom Krang was modeled after.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 04:24:57 PM »
Living and learning haha, thats new to me, about Daredevil and about Shredder not being so important in the first comics.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 05:42:19 PM »
+1
[...] thats new to me, [...] about Shredder not being so important in the first comics.

He was important for the very existence of the Ninja Turtles, since Splinter trained them fifteen years as ninja to exact revenge. If you've seen the first movie, you pretty much know the origin story of the original comics, since it culls heavily from issues 1, 10, 11, and the Raphael and Leonardo one-shots.

But since Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird thought they'd only ever get an opportunity to make one issue of the TMNT, which they self-published (and continued to do for a long time), they killed off the Turtles' arch nemesis and that was it. From there, other stories developed—and later, the Foot were still an integral part of the stories, and
(click to show/hide)

I'm actually pleased with the direction the 2003 TV series took in making The Shredder a rebellious and very powerful Utrom. Considering Laird wanted the cartoon to be as close to the original comics as possible, it was a good solution in order to still have The Shredder around in a big way.

Anyway, I'm not hopeful for the upcoming movie, but I am excited for the Nickelodeon cartoon, and the current comic series by IDW is pretty neat. (Haven't followed it in a few months since I decided to just get the trade paperbacks. Cheaper and easier to store/shelve.)
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 06:07:19 PM »
+2
What? Thats not serious is it?
That is true, TMNT was born out of 1 panel from the original Daredevil comic basically, what happened if the radioactive ooze that made Matt blind and gave him powers went into the sewer...

More Daredevil connections:
Stick trains Daredevil
Splinter trains the turtles
Daredevil fights the Hand.
The TMNT fight the Foot.
Hand above, Foot below.

And Turtles Forever is GREAT!!!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:22:03 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 06:16:35 PM »
He was important for the very existence of the Ninja Turtles, since Splinter trained them fifteen years as ninja to exact revenge. If you've seen the first movie, you pretty much know the origin story of the original comics, since it culls heavily from issues 1, 10, 11, and the Raphael and Leonardo one-shots.

But since Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird thought they'd only ever get an opportunity to make one issue of the TMNT, which they self-published (and continued to do for a long time), they killed off the Turtles' arch nemesis and that was it. From there, other stories developed—and later, the Foot were still an integral part of the stories, and
(click to show/hide)

Ah, so thats why they did that, I dont remember if I have seen the movie, but if I did I was very young. I remember only some scenes that I've seen in Nostalgia Critic almost a year ago.

That is true, TMNT was born out of 1 panel from the original Daredevil comic basically, what happened if the radioactive ooze that made Matt blind and gave him powers went into the sewer...
Yeah, thats crazy. xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 07:36:02 PM »
Synopsis here:

http://tmnt.wikia.com/wiki/Return_to_New_York,_Part_1

So riveting even in synopsis form.  ;D
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 08:25:05 PM »

More Daredevil connections:
Stick trains Daredevil
Splinter trains the turtles
Daredevil fights the Hand.
The TMNT fight the Foot.
Hand above, Foot below.

The first issue of TMNT was a parody of several comics. Compare the cover to the first issue of Ronin. There was Frank Miller love all throughout that thing. Also, Shredder was originally named Grateman, named after the titular character of Skateman. (Shredder was first conceptualized by Kevin Eastman when he was living with Peter Laird and his wife; he was doing dishes when he put the cheese grater over his hand and said, "Look! We could do a villain named Grateman!")

The first Turtles issue was a parody with a dedication at the beginning to Frank Miller and Jack Kirby (and ironically sold so well that tons of black-and-white TMNT parody comics were produced, like the Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters). From issue #2 onward, TMNT grew from being an homage/parody work to a full-fledged original story.

The idea to have the canister fall in the sewers was a parodic afterthought, not something where the Turtles creators pondered making something out of the canister and going from there.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:27:54 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 05:22:42 AM »
Just like maybe 70% of manga these days! Hell, Japan makes multiseason TV series based on nothing but parodies.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 09:33:52 AM »
Maybe it just me but I feel that Michael Bay is getting way too carries away with this ego of his. TMNT are not aliens nor should they be. It's all in their name: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The man needs to put a serious lock down on "his visions" before he can properly make a good flick. A am a fan of the series as I watched it growing up. Michael Bay is no-doubt going to eff it up in some fashion or another.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 04:08:46 PM »
Maybe it just me but I feel that Michael Bay is getting way too carries away with this ego of his. TMNT are not aliens nor should they be. It's all in their name: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The man needs to put a serious lock down on "his visions" before he can properly make a good flick. A am a fan of the series as I watched it growing up. Michael Bay is no-doubt going to eff it up in some fashion or another.

Seriously. Last time I checked if you had an artistic vision for a movie project it was customary to write an original work and sell it to a studio. If you're going to adapt something existing into a movie you should at least have some love and RESPECT for the original vision and the expectations of the existing fans.
"Stuff and things."

Tags: