Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Seal of the Curse (Simon's Quest Remake)  (Read 22036 times)

Offline Wallz!

• Hunter in Training
  • Experimental fan games galore!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Castlevania: Seal of the Curse (Simon's Quest Remake)
« on: August 12, 2015, 08:57:58 AM »
I'm back with a different Simon's Quest remake. This one aims to combine classic stage by stage elements with some of the Metroidvania elements. (Like a simplified statistics system, for example.) And just as a warning, it's kinda chibi.

Here's a very early alpha teaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaX7tCTeUHw&feature=youtu.be
I'm aiming for a full game open to public beta testing late this year or early next year.

Simon's current sprite is temporary, I've started his final look:

Once this gets sheeted I will implement it into the game. If you want to help sheet him, let me know. I can send you the list of animations, the original Simon sheet, and some extra information.

Here's some screenshots of the Berkley Mansion:

Please note that I haven't distinguished outside and inside rooms in the code, so the filter for nighttime is over most of those screenshots. The game itself is brighter than that.

Most fine tuning revisions are being saved for when there is a full game. So until then, you'll notice some graphics from other series, a lack of enemy death animations, enemies not utilizing all of their attacks, etc.

Please leave comments and criticism, let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:01:22 AM by ronny14 »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Castlevania: Seal of the Curse (Simon's Quest Remake)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 09:01:48 AM »
Now this looks really cool. Simon's Quest really needs more love.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Wallz!

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 09:11:01 AM »
Now this looks really cool. Simon's Quest really needs more love.

Agreed! While I find the game itself designed pretty poorly, the concepts are actually pretty cool. And to top it off the game looked and fealt great, and the music was pretty kickass, albiet repetitive. I've tried expanding on the game's concepts. The day to night system is message free and time simply passes by. The change in sky color is pretty sudden right now, but I'll eventually be adding sunset and sunrise, music fading out, etc. Maybe even a wolf howling at sunset. I'm also currently working on a weather system. At the moment it's only aesthetic, when I have more areas made I can add something like the ground being slippery when wet.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 09:24:26 AM »
This reminds me of what they did for Valis II when it was ported to the Genesis. I'm surprised you didn't call your game SD Castlevania: Seal of the Curse. Looks good though! Does it play exactly like the original?
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Wallz!

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 09:37:21 AM »
Not exactly. Simon has been made swifter, and certain items have been overhauled, such as the holy water becoming the glass bomb, which you use to clear certain rocks and roadblocks. Subweapons work like Symphony of the Night, and I plan to add many new ones.

There are now 3 classes of weaponry: Whips, Daggers, and Greatswords.
Whips deal medium damage and have a medium delay when used. Daggers deal minimal damage but can be used quickly and consecutively. Greatswords have a long delay but deal great amounts of damage.

You have 4 stats: Attack, Defense, Luck, and Levels. Attack and defense depend on your weapon and armor, and luck depends on accessories. Levels are simplified, and you should be able to play the game pretty well without grinding. Shops sell more general items with the occasional weapon. Relics like the white crystal and such are found elsewhere. There are bosses inside and outside of the mansions. Castlevania is going to be much longer and have multiple areas.

Day and night works mostly the same, enemies' defense and attack double at nighttime. Hearts are no longer currency, only attack ammo. Spells and critical arts work like SotN, where you input button combinations. Simon has 2 hands to equip items with. Greatswords are 2-handed, while other weapons can be paired with a shield or something else. Simon has a use item button for one time use items, such as food, laurels, or garlic.

Towns have been overhauled. They are much shorter and townsfolk either tell you useful information or offer some sort of side quest. Towns will have warp points in them, as well as saverooms in the churches. Saverooms will also appear outside of towns, so you don't have to travel back to a town to do so. Citizens still go inside at night monsters replace them, however, you can still enter buildings at night.

That's just a few changes off of the top of my head.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 09:44:05 AM »
+1
This. I like this so much. I've been tired of seeing Simon's Quest remakes and they're just straight-up remakes that merely improve upon graphics and a mechanic or two. This complete overhaul is something to be excited about. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this. I adore the graphical style, too.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline eryson

• The Fangaems Connoisseur
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: DraculaXX (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 12:54:03 PM »
Im impressed with this. Its very beautiful!
You're using La-Mulana as Inspiration? The graphics, gameplay and the way that Simon uses the whip remembers that game a lot!

Offline Wallz!

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 01:37:21 PM »
La Mulana is an excellent game! I didn't have it in mind with these graphics though- These are based on a set of custom sprites by SmithyGCN. It's in a Wai Wai World 2 style with very detailed animations, shading, and shadows, but with psuedo-NES color limitations.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 03:06:59 PM »
Looks great so far. How far along are you with development? And what are you developing this in engine wise?

Offline Wallz!

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 03:08:57 PM »
This is about 2 months in (work was scattered in small sessions in that time)

The first month was dedicated to the physics and enemy AI library. The rest of that time was level development, but not all elements that are completely necessary have been added yet.

I'm using Game Maker with the Caster engine for music support.
I've been considering doing some game development streams on my twitch, but I've yet to see if my PC is up to par for that. But hey, if you wanna hear anything about the development or how I did something or whatever feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 03:12:02 PM by ronny14 »

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 03:10:29 PM »
I've never used Game Maker but this is certainly one of the best looking games made with GM that I have seen.

Offline Wallz!

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 03:13:32 PM »
I've never used Game Maker but this is certainly one of the best looking games made with GM that I have seen.
Thank you! Game Maker is actually pretty powerful, it's just the community of newcomers that don't really know much about game design that have given it it's repuation. (I was one at one time however, you gotta start somewhere.) Idk if you know about AM2R, but that's one of the best looking games I've seen made with the program.

If you don't mind me asking, I swear I've seen your name on a game I've played. You know what that might be?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 03:16:45 PM by ronny14 »

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 04:17:30 PM »
It might be Castlevania - The Bloodletting or CV - Bloodstorm (unfinished). I'm currently developing Anathema, but the only demo we've shown publicly was at the Game Developers Conference this year.

Offline Wallz!

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 04:18:36 PM »
It might be Castlevania - The Bloodletting or CV - Bloodstorm (unfinished). I'm currently developing Anathema, but the only demo we've shown publicly was at the Game Developers Conference this year.
Ah, it was the Bloodletting. Great job on that btw.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 04:28:29 PM »
Ah, it was the Bloodletting. Great job on that btw.

Thanks very much! Simon's Quest was always one of my favorites, despite its flaws. I like that you're taking an all original approach (especially in the sprite department). Are you making this by yourself or do you have a team?

anything