Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Original Castlevania masters.  (Read 9022 times)

Offline Morning star

• Vanquishing Evil Since 1987
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Vintage video game collector.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: February 08, 2014, 06:34:52 AM »
So how many people are on this site that have cleared Castlevania with no deaths? I figured this would be the site to ask this question on.

My personal best.. VS Castlevania with all the dip switches turned up, no deaths and half way through the loop. The loop on VS with all the switches on is a real pain in the ass.

Normal castlevania. No deaths and completed three loops on the same continue.

This magic whip could be an example of advanced alien technology.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 09:42:08 AM »
I can not make such a claim yet. I can clear stage 1 alright, but then I'm guaranteed to take a hit on stage 2 followed by several more hits on stage three, and one or more deaths on stage 4...you get the idea.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 11:22:13 AM »
Hoo boy, can't make this claim.

I have done 1 Credit Clears on several games (beaten without a game over). I did this at least once on the original NES one, also on Original Mode on Chronicles and Dracula X SNES. For some reason I can't manage to do this on some of the easier games like CV4 or RoB.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 03:35:45 PM »
Oh yes. It's been some time since I've done a no-death Castlevania run, but there was a time when I used to "train" myself almost daily. But I can't claim that honor for the second loop yet. My best double run was a no-continue victory.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 03:54:56 PM by Intersection »
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Morning star

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 08:22:56 PM »
Hoo boy, can't make this claim.

I have done 1 Credit Clears on several games (beaten without a game over). I did this at least once on the original NES one, also on Original Mode on Chronicles and Dracula X SNES. For some reason I can't manage to do this on some of the easier games like CV4 or RoB.

What's strange is that i have not done it yet on Castlevania 4 either. I got very close before. But i think that because of how much easier the game is, that i just never put in the time to get that good.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 01:10:20 AM »
There was a time I could do it on the NES Castlevania 1, but never on Vs CV. I've also done 2 loops in 1 life on SCV4 before I got tired of it come third loop and turned the system off. That time sadly was many many years ago.

Offline Morning star

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 02:49:35 AM »
Either the crowd that can do this is very small, this site does not have many vintage gamers in it or people have talked this topic to death at some point.

Anyway, congrats to everybody that can run through Castlevania, just like Simon does on the intro to captain n the game master :D Also to everybody that got close as well.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:51:20 AM by Morning star »

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 01:37:00 AM »
I think the furthest I've made it to is Death or the Clock Tower on CV1 with no lives being used.

I can't remember exactly but I was very good at LOD back in the day, and I believe I could finish Cornell's game on hard very quickly without dying. With Carrie on Hard it was probably getting up to the Dynamite/ Bone pillars stage, similarly with Reinhardt. Henry's game (if it hard a Hard setting) I believe could be done in one life.

Dracula XX with the good ending I got up to Death without dying once.

Aside from this, it's been POR and OOE on Level 1 Hard mode.

Also unrelated but I once nearly finished Zelda OOT with no deaths.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Julius Belmont

• The One and Only
  • Hunter in Training
  • Everything that kills me, will eventually perish.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 07:10:34 PM »
I must say I can't admit I've played through a game without dying once. That's been my goal for a while now, I just never completed it. I have gotten pretty far without dying though, I remember I haven't died until after the Great Bat in one game, if that's what it's called. Basically the cycle goes like this: I play, I die a few times, I rage, I stop playing for about 5 minutes, I end up playing it again, repeated for hours. Haha I have no social life.
Art not done by me.
Last night I lied down in my bed and looked up at the stars. Then I thought, "Wait, where the hell is the ceiling?"

Offline Morning star

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 09:29:09 PM »
+2
I must say I can't admit I've played through a game without dying once. That's been my goal for a while now, I just never completed it. I have gotten pretty far without dying though, I remember I haven't died until after the Great Bat in one game, if that's what it's called. Basically the cycle goes like this: I play, I die a few times, I rage, I stop playing for about 5 minutes, I end up playing it again, repeated for hours. Haha I have no social life.

Just hang in there man. If it's a goal you have, you can do it. I took a break from playing games for many years before returning to them. But when i did, i was a lot better and was able to achieve a no death run. Why? I don't know for sure. Increased focus from age maybe.

I will tell you a cool story though.

Picture it, the late 80s. I was at a local arcade called Aladdins castle. The place is filled with people playing all kinds of games. I happen to be on the vs Castlevania cabinet in one of the corners of the room. I am doing well and getting far, when i notice a small group of kids has formed around me. At this point they are betting that i can't clear the Frankenstein level. After a death or two i managed to clear it. These were my first deaths of the game. After that the kids around me had went and hit more kids. And others were coming on their own to see what was happening. I was about to fight Death. I don't know if it was the adrenaline of having all those people watching or what, but i did not falter. Me and my level 3 boomerang made short work of him and i was off to the clock tower.

At this point even the guy running the arcade has come to see what was going down. You would expect him to try and break things up and get people playing again. He made no such attempt and to my surprise, he was cheering me on! It didn't take long and i was going up the stairs to face Dracula. I did die on the bridge, but managed to get the watch and made it through on the second try.

Now i had moms, kids, the manager, everybody watching me! The pressure was really on. I died one time just from being so nervous. My second attempt I died midway through fighting Draculas second form. The next attempt was the charm. I killed him!!! Everybody was cheering and giving me high fives (that's what we did back in the 80s). I think there was even a fist bump in there. It was one of those magic moments in video game history that i won't ever forget. And also the first time i beat the arcade version without using a continue.

Hope somebody enjoyed the story.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 10:22:28 PM »
Nice story! A blast from the past that can never truly be the same way it was in the 80's.

Basically the cycle goes like this: I play, I die a few times, I rage, I stop playing for about 5 minutes, I end up playing it again, repeated for hours. Haha I have no social life.

Such is the life of a true gamer. I have my rage moments too  ;D
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 01:51:41 AM »
Just hang in there man. If it's a goal you have, you can do it. I took a break from playing games for many years before returning to them. But when i did, i was a lot better and was able to achieve a no death run. Why? I don't know for sure. Increased focus from age maybe.

Picture it, the late 80s. I was at a local arcade called Aladdins castle. The place is filled with people playing all kinds of games. I happen to be on the vs Castlevania cabinet in one of the corners of the room. I am doing well and getting far, when i notice a small group of kids has formed around me. At this point they are betting that i can't clear the Frankenstein level. After a death or two i managed to clear it. These were my first deaths of the game. After that the kids around me had went and hit more kids. And others were coming on their own to see what was happening. I was about to fight Death. I don't know if it was the adrenaline of having all those people watching or what, but i did not falter. Me and my level 3 boomerang made short work of him and i was off to the clock tower.

At this point even the guy running the arcade has come to see what was going down. You would expect him to try and break things up and get people playing again. He made no such attempt and to my surprise, he was cheering me on! It didn't take long and i was going up the stairs to face Dracula. I did die on the bridge, but managed to get the watch and made it through on the second try.

Now i had moms, kids, the manager, everybody watching me! The pressure was really on. I died one time just from being so nervous. My second attempt I died midway through fighting Draculas second form. The next attempt was the charm. I killed him!!! Everybody was cheering and giving me high fives (that's what we did back in the 80s). I think there was even a fist bump in there. It was one of those magic moments in video game history that i won't ever forget. And also the first time i beat the arcade version without using a continue.

Nice!!!!! Would have loved to have been there to witness it.

I use to get the jitters sometimes, being an 8 year old kid having crowds piling up while playing Street Fighter II at the arcade. A few times I bested really experienced players who were in their teens and twenties.

I remember playing X-men Vs Streetfighter and finishing the game through just short of 4 x in a row without the loss of a character. People refused to challenge, that was a hell of a night. I also used to go looking for good 3S players, that was my shit back in the day :)

One old game I used to finish without losing 1 life - Megaman 2, one of my favourite games ever!
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 02:11:49 AM »
@Morning Star: That was a great story and worth telling time and again!

I was never good at arcade games. Only UFO catchers.  :D But now I'm rusty.

Offline Julius Belmont

• The One and Only
  • Hunter in Training
  • Everything that kills me, will eventually perish.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 06:26:08 PM »

Wow, I would have loved to be there to witness that. I was never good at too many arcade games. I love when I complete something awesome and people see me doing so, I normally do well under pressure otherwise I completely flip out.
Art not done by me.
Last night I lied down in my bed and looked up at the stars. Then I thought, "Wait, where the hell is the ceiling?"

Offline Morning star

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 09:38:38 PM »
Well thank you to everybody for the kind words. I'm really glad some people enjoyed the story.

@ Shiroi Koumori  Everytime i think i have told this story for the last time, something just prompts me to tell it again. Maybe this will be the last time ;D

Again, thanks guys!

Tags:

anything