Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Konami: "Taking risks with CV prevented it from becoming another Megaman"  (Read 108374 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
@Nagumo: I'm with you. I don't have any problem with hot women, but I just don't like it when they are kept in the background like some secondary character.
And by the way, LoS women aren't even pretty. None of them. And that wasn't the case in previous games, even not-IGA games.

I didn't like it when IGA removed Sonia from the canon, I think it's the worst thing he did (the only one I didn't like, by the way). IGA himself proved wrong that statement, when Charlotte and Shanoa were female protagonists in vampire stories.

And music being feminine, I guess he meant delicate, and I'm sorry but I don't find Araujo's music delicate, the action cues are unbearable to me, and the rest (soft tracks) are just plain boring (in my opinion).
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
About Yamane's music being "feminine", I don't really know what is defined as "feminine" music...
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness OST:Belmont The Legend
But I sure as hell wouldn't be caught dead calling that (along with quite a few of CoD's tracks) "feminine".
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
On the other hand, Mercurysteam felt that Castlevania wasn't dudebro enough, so they need to add in protagonists with HULKING MUSCLES and lots of enemies with BOOBS. THE MORE THE BETTER. Cause those are direct indicators of how MATURE a game is, bro. And GENERIC MATURE DUDEBRO games are totally better than anything wussy and girly like those stupid other games. Right, bro?

Sup, brah?

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 12:12:10 AM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Whoa why you cut off succu-boobs?

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
@Flame: The fact that you had to pull those examples from multiple games proves my point. Also Gabriel has abnormal body proportions beyond those examples you posted.

@Shiroi Koumori: The succubus art was censored for the US release of SotN. That is the version he posted.

@Pfil: To clarify, IGA said that female protagonists in the series were hard to justify historically, more so as the games get chronologically older. This matches up with Shanoa and Charlotte being heroes in games that are much later in the timeline.

Also Legends has fundamental conflicts with many titles that came before it. The game was most likely removed from the timeline due to those many dates, events, and character ages that do not match the other games before it, not because Sonia was a female protagonist.

For the record, I don't think that in a fantasy series like this it is hard to justify a female protagonist at all. Most of the super powers are not gender specific (high spirituality, vampirism, etc) so it is completely valid that a female character could have been the one to have acquired them. If we can explain away things with "Dracula's Magic" then we certainly disregard historical sociological norms just as easily, if not more easily.

Despite this though, I don't particularly believe IGA is sexist. If that were true, we'd never see Shanoa and Charlotte see the light of day ever. On top of that, it does make an amount of sense that the focus is on the male heirs of a bloodline, the ones who pass the genetics, in a series concentrating on the lineage of a family. As a third caveat, we also know some developers are told by management that they CANNOT make a game with a female protagonist period. It could have been something out of IGA's hands entirely for quite some time.

All speculation of course. Take it for what it's worth.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
Charlotte was actually the better character in PoR. After her spell damage is considered, if you outfitted her with the right gear, she was just about as powerful as Johnathan in the attack and defense categories.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)

Way too busy with school and finals.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 02:11:22 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
I'm rather glad IGA retconned Legends because Sonia bangin' Alucard and that's why Belmonts are so strong... 'Kay. It was a trite story to begin with and Sonia is perhaps even more a ripoff of Doris Lang than Alucard is of D.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
^
I disagree with the above statement.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
And by the way, LoS women aren't even pretty. None of them. And that wasn't the case in previous games, even not-IGA games

Agreed on this point.

Also, not much love for Sonia Belmont from me. Yeah, it's nice she's a girl and all, but the concept... even the suggestion of Belmonts being related to Dracula, or BEING Dracula is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARF! I know IGA didn't state that as his reason for retconning Legends, at least I don't think he did, but that is more than enough reason in my opinion to justify doing that.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 07:15:24 AM by Successor The Cruel »

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
I just think it's impossible to try and tie in any females to the bloodline. Suppose each game explained the origin of the protagonist; the repetitiveness would bore some. It's best I feel to just know that that's a grandson or great great great grandson. Now if it were done in reverse and let's say Julius was a female ( his sister maybe) then tying them together probably would seem more organized
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline Weiss Belmont

• The Power of Legend
  • Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
May 30, 2013, 07:36:49 AM - Hidden.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 07:46:55 AM by Weiss Belmont »

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
Wow man way to take shots at someone via forum. Not cool man
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline Weiss Belmont

• The Power of Legend
  • Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
Wow man way to take shots at someone via forum. Not cool man

Shouldn't you be making another crappy Hokuto No Ken game.  :-\

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
I do have ideas for a game but that's not my field of expertise. I have never posted once about the games for the simple fact they aren't my genre of choice. (I do own both of the newer installments as well as some of the rarer old titles however). I was defending an offline user when u threw the word faggot in their direction. I have never met anyone from this forum on the outside. But since I do enjoy it here I feel like the last thing a forum needs is that one person that shows up just to be 95% disagreeable to others' post. With so much anger u seem to have welled up inside u, I suggest finding a new outlet to vent your frustration. And by no means do I care what is said after this. I will however continue to express my opinions as open-minded and not be derogatory if possible.  :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 07:53:25 AM by son_the_vampire »
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Tags: