Poll

Should all illegal drugs be legalized?

I believe the Constitution protects an individual's right to ingest whatever substance they want.
5 (29.4%)
Illegal drugs should remain strictly illegal because of the dangers they pose to our society.
11 (64.7%)
I don't know.
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Legalization of drugs in the U.S.  (Read 10985 times)

Offline Thaddeus

• Sensitive Iga-basher
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Legalization of drugs in the U.S.
« on: December 10, 2007, 10:49:57 PM »
Since someone in the other topic brought up the war on drugs, I am curious to see what Dungeon members think about the legalization of illegal drugs (marijuana, cocaine, crack, heroin, etc.).

I have never done drugs personally, but I think the Federal Government has no right to tell mature, responsible Americans what they can and cannot put into their bodies.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 10:53:09 PM by Thaddeus »

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
Re: Legalization of drugs in the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 10:59:12 PM »
I've never done drugs, never plan on doing drugs, but I've seen what they've done to people around me. Not fun stuff.

And Iunno. Most Americans I've seen who put illegal drugs into their bodies tend to not be so responsible afterwards.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 11:08:36 PM »
Totally went for I don't know. Since I'venever tried it, but I want to try it once, just to see how it is. Of course, theres the whole, you're adults, you shuold be able to do what you wish as long as it doesn't hurt others or whatever. But there are lots of idiots nowadays who shuoldn't be leaving their houses.

Offline Thaddeus

• Sensitive Iga-basher
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 11:19:37 PM »
Yeah, I can see both points of view. Having grown up around the stuff I know the problems associated with those who lack the responsibility to take it in moderation.

Over the years my attitude has changed, and what it boils down to for me now isn't the potential dangers of irresponsible people, but the government telling me what I can and can't do with my own body.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 11:26:35 PM by Thaddeus »

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 11:44:27 PM »
Since someone in the other topic brought up the war on drugs, I am curious to see what Dungeon members think about the legalization of illegal drugs (marijuana, cocaine, crack, heroin, etc.).

I have never done drugs personally, but I think the Federal Government has no right to tell mature, responsible Americans what they can and cannot put into their bodies.

Gonna have to say no on this one, got enough stupid dumb people in the US don't need to add to their numbers.
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Think Tank

• usually posts while intoxicated
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 12:40:31 AM »
Easy, marijuana should be decriminalized, but not hard substances like heroin, crack, and meth. I'm not saying make it legal, but the penalties for posession and the incarceration that comes with it do more harm than good.

No one has ever overdosed on weed and died, or got stoned then got in a bar fight or killed someone because they were high. Alcohol is far worse and it is legal. There is just an age old stigma surrounding pot and it needs to go away already. America should take a cue from many other civilized nations in this world and knock the criminal bullshit off already.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 01:49:32 AM »
Easy, marijuana should be decriminalized, but not hard substances like heroin, crack, and meth. I'm not saying make it legal, but the penalties for posession and the incarceration that comes with it do more harm than good.

No one has ever overdosed on weed and died, or got stoned then got in a bar fight or killed someone because they were high. Alcohol is far worse and it is legal. There is just an age old stigma surrounding pot and it needs to go away already. America should take a cue from many other civilized nations in this world and knock the criminal bullshit off already.

I agree with a lot of what you just said but I don't know of any other nations off hand that have legalized weed except the netherlands.
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Thaddeus

• Sensitive Iga-basher
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 03:16:13 AM »
I find it utterly amazing that the government can kick down your door in the middle of the night, terrorize your family, drag you outside and put you in a van, arresting you, then ruining your life, all because you grow a harmless plant.

I just can't wrap my brain around it.

Offline ringo

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 03:40:00 AM »
I think people in general aren't mature enough to handle drug use responsibly. This is especially important when there are other people depending on them (such as children).

Having said that, I hear that the laws with marijuana are extremely strict over in the usa. I don't see the reasoning in criminal charges for marijuana possession either.

The impression that I get with marijuana, is that the problem's associated with it(gateway drug to harder drugs, dealing with shady characters, etc) aren't because of it's effects but rather because it's illegal.

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 07:18:50 AM »
Door #2
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 07:21:09 AM »
There is one thing good about drugs. They kill off the weak.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline Slayer

• Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 07:37:02 AM »
Lol, the poll kinda looks like a pe...uh

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 08:12:43 AM »
I think ALL drugs should be legalized. Think of it this way, when alcohol was illegal in Early 20th century US, it was basically an invitation for all kinds of criminal elements to come in and profit from it. And they did! But not only that, they had turf wars, the likes of which we see today over drugs. If you could get some weak heroin that had some sort of additive that would make it harder for you to get addicted, marijuana, or cocaine at a pharmacy, it would make it harder for criminals to profit from the drug trade. You'd have less drug dealers loitering, dealing to kids, etc.

Make the laws much like the alcohol laws, if you get caught doing it in public or if you're acting like a buffoon in public while on it, you get a ticket.

Plus it would save local and the Federal Govt. a LOT of money on prosecuting drug cases. Drug using is most often a consensual crime that hurts primarily the user. Sure it spills over into the lives of others sometimes, but the fact that there is such a stigma attached to it makes it harder for people to get help. If it were decriminalized, I don't think people would think twice about going to rehab if they found they had a problem.

Fact is, you can't and shouldn't try to protect everyone from themselves.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 08:26:32 AM by DoctaMario »

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 09:12:19 AM »
In Reply To #13

Just because it wouldn't be as addictive doesn't mean it wouldn't be as harmful. It's the effects that are an immediate concern, not the longterm hunting for them.

And they don't affect others except sometimes? Walking down the halls in my school and smelling Marijuana affects us. Having an entire school or neighborhood block locked down because the police are searching with attack dogs for drugs affects us. Parents smoking drugs around children with asthma affects the children (Illegal drugs are a lot more irritating to a child with asthma, trust me).

My best friend came home to a locked house in 7th grade because her mom abandoned her and her 2 year old sister so she could sate her addiction to drugs, not running from the cops.

Drugs that are illegal now are always going to have negative side effects.

Offline Slayer

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 09:58:39 AM »
If the people that were going to use now-illegal drugs if they were legal were to do so responsibly, then I'd be ok with it.  Unfortunately, I've seen one freind too many have his life wrecked by such drugs.  There's little hope for no one using drugs irresponsibly.

Tags: