Poll

Depression II and YOU.

I'm wealthy.  Let the world burn.
My job is bulletproof.
Employed, but nervous.
Unemployed "where's my bailout?"
I don't need a job.

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Depression II and YOU.  (Read 3536 times)

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« on: February 09, 2009, 10:34:24 PM »
Tens of thousands have lost their jobs these last few weeks, could yours be next?  The pain is coming, are you ready?

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 02:19:09 AM »
Don't mean to sound arrogant or anything, but my job has me secured so I voted bulletproof.

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
Re: Depression II and YOU.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 05:30:24 AM »
I work in video game retail. And it's pretty much been stated that Gaming Retail is recession-proof.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 07:34:52 AM »
I like to remain positive and think that even though it will get worse before it gets better, it will get better. And when it does get better its going to be some good times.

I do have faith in the President, and that he and the rest of Washington will actually do something about it, because really, they have to.

These kinds of things will always happen, there's no way to stop them, its just sometimes they're worst than others.

Anywho, I'm a full time student and I have a pretty secure part time job, so I'm not too worried about myself.
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Battler Ushiromiya

• The Detective
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Better than Phoenix Wright.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 08:17:07 AM »
If this is a depression, then it's Depression III. It was worse in the 70's than it is now- Unemployment was far higher and taxes were ridiculously high. Carter's term in office would definitely be Depression II by those standards.

Neither is as bad as the Great Depression, though. 30% unemployment in the depression doesn't compare to 7.6% today.
_______________________________________ ___________

Magically immune, and loving it!

Offline Bizarro Belmont

• WHAT?
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 09:13:27 AM »
People's been saying the horse racing industry's been dying for like, 20-some years now. Plus Derby's on the way...so I'm good regardless of anything.

Plus if they lay me off, I don't care. Wal-Mart and UPS are flourishing in this madness.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 09:50:06 AM »
As employment levels fall, crime levels rise.  So I'm not too worried.  Money does seem tighter though, and it's been impossible to get any overtime lately.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 03:57:10 PM »
The government never runs out of good high paying positions for smart and educated people. I'm safe.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 04:24:29 PM »
I can't afford this sequel :(

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline Bizarro Belmont

• WHAT?
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 10:46:49 AM »
In Reply To #9

Hahahaha.

I miss overtime too. RIP more than 40 hours  :'(

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 08:57:58 PM »
If this is a depression, then it's Depression III. It was worse in the 70's than it is now- Unemployment was far higher and taxes were ridiculously high. Carter's term in office would definitely be Depression II by those standards.

Neither is as bad as the Great Depression, though. 30% unemployment in the depression doesn't compare to 7.6% today.

The 70s (Carter era) had 2 major problems. High unemployment and hyperinflation.  High taxes certainly didn't help, and then there was the creation OPEC and an energy crisis that kicked our nation in the nuts.  Anyway, the Fed will usually cut interest rates to fight rising unemployment and quite oppositely raise interest rates to cut inflation.  Carter and his people didn't know how to handle both at the same time.  Then Reagan came along and decided to cut taxes to create jobs and his Fed chief raised the interest rates to curb inflation. Unfortunately, nothing has been done about the OPEC cartel these last 30+ years...  but I digress.

The Carter Reagan recession had quite a few years to work itself out; while we're barely a year into this thing --it's really just getting started.

I've worked in the financial services industry for 10 years and this thing is getting UGLY.  Doomsday politics and mass media panic are driving the country faster and further downhill every single day --and it will definitely get worse before it gets better.

Tags: