Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Original 60gb ps3 took a crap  (Read 3600 times)

Offline CrashDiary27

• Hunter in Training
  • game over
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« on: July 12, 2012, 09:49:47 AM »
Well ive had it since the launch date...had a good run. I was playing mlb the show last night and the system just shut off and the red light kept blinking. It still loads up to the xmb just fine...but it wont play anything. *sigh* guess im gonna have to shell out some cash for another one. Ive tried all the fixes on youtube but those don't work at all. Has this happend to any of you guys/girls?

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 10:27:44 AM »
+2
I was playing mlb the show last night and the system just shut off and the red light kept blinking.

It gave up hope that you'd play some good games and suicided to end it's suffering.

Offline CrashDiary27

• Hunter in Training
  • game over
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 11:56:19 AM »
+1
not a baseball fan eh? To each his own...

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 10:33:05 AM »
I waited about two years before I knuckled-down and bought mine. It's not the 60GB version but the MGS4 80GB version with PS2 and PSX compatibility. Mine still works fine except I'm running out of room on the hard drive and I'm searching for highest expanded GB drive possible for it. I have yet to encounter your issues but I guess mine's just not that old yet. and I know this might sound expensive but have you considered sending it off to SONY to be repaired?
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 12:57:15 PM »
Damn uzo, ice burrrrrn.

Anyways, sorry to hear about your PStripple Crash. Can you back up the data and saves and stuff on it? D:

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline CrashDiary27

• Hunter in Training
  • game over
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 11:34:05 AM »
Yeah I backed up all my saves on psn...thank God.

x- just make sure your fan vent is always nice and clean. I guess mine burnt out due to overheating.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 05:52:30 PM »
x- just make sure your fan vent is always nice and clean. I guess mine burnt out due to overheating.

No prob  ;) Whenever I vacuum my room out one of the things I always do is clean out the cooling vents in my PC as well as my PS3.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 07:41:40 PM »
I don't have that exact problem, but I do have a 60GB PS3 with some major issues.  I bought it used, and it worked perfectly for several years.  When God of War 3 came out, my PS3 had some issues with it.  After running it for a few hours one night, my PS3 overheated and shut down.  From that point on, any graphically taxing game makes the PS3 shut off after about 30 min.  And the problem slowly gets worse, so that less advanced games now have the same issue.  There are certain games like Star Wars TFU that have specific areas that make the PS3 shut down instantly, apparently due to the large number of data being processed or something.

I took it to a local game repair shop and they tried a few things with it before determining that the motherboard was shot.  The only solution is to buy a new 60GB PS3 motherboard and swap them out.  I'll probably just shell out for a new slimline PS3 eventually, but I'd hate to lose the backward compatibility.

One thing that pisses me off though is that the repair guy told me that one of the updates put out by Sony last year makes the fan run more slowly on older PS3s, so that they die off and the owners need to buy new ones.  If that's true, it's a crock of shit.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 07:55:07 PM »
Buy a small fan and stick it on the back near the PS3.  That should work temporarily.  At least on the more taxing part... no?
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 09:44:43 PM »
No, it's not a fan issue.  The repair guy stuck a brand new fan in there and tried a whole bunch of other things.  He even let me keep the new fan, since he wasn't able to fix the issue.  Unless he's taking me for a ride, it's a problem with the motherboard.

Offline CrashDiary27

• Hunter in Training
  • game over
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 06:18:57 AM »
Buy a small fan and stick it on the back near the PS3.  That should work temporarily.  At least on the more taxing part... no?

They do sell litte fans that snap on to the back of the fat ps3. I got one of those and found a used 60gb for 200 on amazon. Hopefully I can get another 6 years or more out of it if I take care of it this time around

My Ps3 was doing the exact same thing as yours, PFG9000. I was told that all the overheating fried out my harddrive and killed my motherboard. Who knows...all I do know was that I spent alot of time cussing that night.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 06:33:31 AM by CrashDiary27 »

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 09:55:16 AM »
The disc reader laser thing went on mine a few weeks ago, I have to get it fixed soon, but I know how you feel, it's disappointing. I have the fat 80 GB. It's especially disappointing cause i use it for movies too, and me and the Mrs watch a lot of movies. Hopefully yours is fixable, like mine, I'd rather just fix mine then buy a whole new one
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline CrashDiary27

• Hunter in Training
  • game over
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 05:52:23 AM »
Thats mostly what it is used for. It really didn't register in my brain that it wasn't working because I kept thinking I was going to watch a dvd.

Tags: