Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What game(s) have you been playing lately?  (Read 593414 times)

Offline Havatchu

• Beau Shion
  • Hunter in Training
  • Gaze Upon Me Hypocrite
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
Re: What game(s) have you been playing lately?
« Reply #225 on: August 24, 2012, 10:59:50 AM »
Little bit of...

CV, CVIII, CVIV, Ninja Gaiden II, Kirby, Kung-Fu, Ghosts N' Goblins, FFX, Maui Mallard, KOF XIII, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest VIII

Need to beat FFX, and Chrono again, and actually beat Odin Sphere and Rogue Galaxy for the first time. >:(
Reluctant fighting game, Mega Man/X, Dragon Quest, and Castlevania lifelong fan.

What do I do with all these Belmonts?

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #226 on: August 24, 2012, 04:01:35 PM »
Been playing Dungeons Of Dredmor since they've finally ironed out some crash and save issues with the new patch... great Roguelike game.
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #227 on: August 24, 2012, 05:32:55 PM »
I've started Tear Ring Saga. It made by the guy who made Fire Emblem but it's for PS. So, it plays like Fire Emblem but it's not Fire Emblem.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #228 on: August 25, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »
+1

I just beat FF Tactics: War of the Lions again for the twentieth time.  I think I'm going to give Tactics Ogre PSP a whirl next, I hear it's quite good.

Offline Havatchu

• Beau Shion
  • Hunter in Training
  • Gaze Upon Me Hypocrite
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #229 on: August 26, 2012, 12:45:36 AM »
I was playing an action MMO that was in beta called Path of Exile, but I went on one day, and no one was there, and then the next day, and the next day, and I didn't check it for a week or two and still nothing, so now I'm just waiting for the game to be finished when they wipe everyone's characters so I can start fresh.
Reluctant fighting game, Mega Man/X, Dragon Quest, and Castlevania lifelong fan.

What do I do with all these Belmonts?

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #230 on: August 26, 2012, 11:11:53 AM »
FFA and FFL are some of my fav gb games. FFL I really liked. Wasted a shit load of double a's on that game...

So you would recommend the other gameboy "Final Fantasy" (or really SaGa) games then? FFA is good and was thinking it might be interesting to see if turn based combat on the GBA has aged as well.

About 2/3rds of the way through FFA I think and getting a little tired of it, those stupid parts where you have to freeze the enemies and place them on levers are x10 harder than any of the bosses. It's a very good game just fairly repetitive*, which is to be expected in an 8bit RPG, and I have a small attention span.

In any case I'm glad I played this one first so I'll have context for the next time I attempt to get into Secret of Mana.

*I've honestly lost count of all the rinse and repeat dungeons I've cleaned out.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 02:57:37 PM by Ratty »

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #231 on: August 26, 2012, 02:46:46 PM »
FFA and FFL are some of my fav gb games. FFL I really liked. Wasted a shit load of double a's on that game...

Fucking love FFA. By far my favorite of the Mana games and one of my favorite Game Boy titles.

I've tried to enjoy FFL but it seems like there's a ton of underlying systems that the game just doesn't bother to explain that totally confound me.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #232 on: August 26, 2012, 02:53:38 PM »
Well, was closer to the end than I thought I was lol. Beat FFA, pretty good game I must say. Very well written. I love that they tried to invest a lot of emotional depth and character to the story, within the limitations of the format they did a wonderful job. That makes 2 great 8bit RPGs I've played through this year, along with Phantasy Star.

If I have one complaint* it's that all of the bosses felt very samey. The vast majority of them had the same attack pattern, so it feels like you're fighting a reskin with slightly different stats. Which is ok in turn based RPGs because that's pretty much exactly what you're doing, but brings down this kind of combat. And after getting the cure spell all but 2 or 3 of the many bosses, including all 3 forms of the final boss, can just be wailed on while spaming self-heals until they die. Still though in spite of these minor flaws, fantastic game.

Fucking love FFA. By far my favorite of the Mana games and one of my favorite Game Boy titles.

I've tried to enjoy FFL but it seems like there's a ton of underlying systems that the game just doesn't bother to explain that totally confound me.

Ahh, well I got the instructions and map for FFL in the lot sale with my copy of FFA so maybe that would help?

*Other than the music, which was repetitive and nails on chalkboard coming out of my GCN Gameboy player after a while, but was alright on the GBA. So that's probably more the fault of the my TV for not being designed with gameboy music in mind.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 03:10:11 PM by Ratty »

Offline CircleBoi6

• Grand Cross!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #233 on: August 30, 2012, 03:59:46 PM »
I've been playing Wipeout 2048 recently. I'm thinking about getting Dracula X Chronicles for the Vita and preordering Persona 4: Golden tomorrow.

Offline Dingo

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #234 on: September 08, 2012, 06:12:02 PM »
New to the boards, and figured I'd make my first main post in one of my favorite types of gaming forum topics.

Anyway, I've been playing Shining in the Darkness for the Genesis recently. I've tried the game out for a short period of time a few years back, but this is the first time I've put any considerable amount of time into it. Considering I enjoy a lot of first-person dungeon crawlers, I've having a lot of fun with it.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #235 on: September 08, 2012, 06:25:47 PM »
Lately I've been playing some SMB1, SMB2j, & SMB3 because I'm making a new Platformer Engine for GameMaker based on their physics.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #236 on: September 09, 2012, 11:00:31 AM »
GW2... Lots of gw2... been tryin to take a break from it today doin some other stuff around th... did someone say gw2? Well if only for a min...

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #237 on: September 19, 2012, 02:45:14 PM »
Will be playing some Torchlight 2 tomorrow, once it's launched onto Steam... aw, hell yeah. Steampunk Diablolike goodness.

For those interested, here's some late pre-release footage...

Torchlight II - Act 2 Gameplay [Direct Feed] (PAX Edition)
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #238 on: September 19, 2012, 03:01:13 PM »
 It seems to be cool, but I've played this type of game for so many time that Im tired of this, I need a break until I can enjoy it again.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #239 on: September 19, 2012, 06:32:11 PM »
Lately? I've been playing The Last Story(Wii), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time(SNES), and Final Fantasy IV Collection(PSP).

Tags:

anything