Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Artwork Question concerning PoR  (Read 6378 times)

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 03:44:09 PM »
no you just suck at reading posts, nub ::)

Offline Alexc2808

• JerkofWonder
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Artwork Question concerning PoR
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 03:47:04 PM »
Nope, no one ever asked why those pics weren't used.  They figured it out, it's because they were going for the younger audience.  if you really think these pics were not made before the game was released you're just silly.  You used connotation that pointed to them not being official.  I just thought I would let them know that they are.
I am Jerkofwonder.

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 03:51:09 PM »
>> They figured it out, it's because they were going for the younger audience.

except that's totally wrong, as those pictures were drawn after the game was released. too late to decide "the game should be kiddy don't use those in it" when it's already on the shelves.

Offline Alexc2808

• JerkofWonder
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 03:53:09 PM »
In Reply To #18
They were not done after it was released.  And if there was another reason besides the younger audience one they would have made more adult art from the beginning.  Just because we didn't see it until after the release does not mean it was made afterwards.  They made all this artwork, and only used the ones they thought best for the target audience for the actual in game art.  Same thing they did with the 64 games, dos, rob, etc.. etc...
I am Jerkofwonder.

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 04:03:04 PM »
you would know, i mean you infiltrated konami and are their official spokesperson right? :o

they were already set on kiddy approach since dos, and maybe only after releasing pork they realised the kiddy crap is not the right way to go and is slowly turning cv into generic anime adventure.

those additional pieces are more likely just random people's interpretations of the kiddy art from the games. they were never intended to be used in the game, otherwise we'd see some of those at least released early as promos, not in the extra addons section for outsider contributions which was opened some time after the game's release.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 04:23:54 PM »
I'm think one of the reasons they might have went with the anime look, besides the kiddies, is because the sprites are hand drawn. Whoever the artist is who did the artwork, probably did  the sprites too, or vice versa.
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 04:25:43 PM »
I want more people commenting how excellent that art is. Yeah, it's unfinished, but wow it's a shame of what could have become of Charolotte and Jon if Konami would have gone that route (regardless whether the pics were part of dev. process)

I absolutely love how Charl's hair is rendered (very silky) and her telling glance. And I love Jonathan's powerful blue eyes and sarcastic smirk.

Just great concept art, really.

Goddamnit the characters would have been better (and the game too). Period. :(
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 04:27:21 PM by A N T R A X X »

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 04:32:13 PM »
Yeah I do like those too. If they would have used that art (whether it came first or not, I don't care) I think the game would have gotten better reception

Goddamnit the characters would have been better (and the game too). Period. :(

The Game was good. I don't think the artwork would make the game any better. Getting rid of the whinyer aspect of the characters would be great,
Getting rid of the LeCarde Sister's would have been Amazing
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Tags:

anything