Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Halloween! 2013  (Read 27696 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2013, 05:54:22 AM »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2013, 10:59:03 AM »
http://cinemassacre.com/2013/09/24/monster-madness-2013-sequel-a-thon-2-promo/

I'm so ready for this.

It's interesting to hear someone else's take on movies I've seen that most other people don't seem to have heard of. But more often Monster Madness just seems to remind me how woefully behind I've fallen in monster movie watching.

Speaking of which to get the fall season rolling I re-watched the original 1931 Dracula. I think it'd been about 3 years since my last viewing and the movie is better than I remembered it. I'd forgotten how great some of Lugosi's line deliveries are. "To die... to be really dead. That must be glorious!"
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:02:55 AM by Ratty »

Offline Laina

• F.A.N.G. stands for “fucking awful, not great”, babe - me to UZO on SFV
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2013, 11:40:43 AM »
All this classic movie monster talk reminds me of being a kid & watching the Universal monster movies with my now estranged older brother. He was my idol as a child & I did whatever he did, which meant I attentively watched every horror movie he watched. Every B movie, every mainstream, every cult classic-but he loved none so much as the Universal monsters. As a child, I never really understood their appeal, but I just liked spending time with my "Big Bub" & feeling like I belonged, like an adult, rather than a pestering child as most 5 year olds are treated.

As I grew older & we grew apart, I slowly began to understand the films better & they developed a whole new appeal to me. I wished I could go back & watch them with him again, discussing & enjoying them as two actual adults this time, but the rift was too wide-we are estranged now. Barely speaking unless it's a gruff reprimand or snide remark, but I do like to look fondly back at when I was a little girl with my Big Bub, watching Lon Chaney, Bela Lugosi, Boris Carloff...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:45:43 AM by Laina »
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2013, 02:08:28 PM »
Yeah, I like to think Halloween is one of the few holidays where you can concentrate on the positive memories and on building new ones. Classic horror movies offer a bit of both.

Offline Zannibal

• Sir Overlod Zannibal
  • Hunter in Training
  • I walk by the moonlit graves, I'm home...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2013, 09:05:39 AM »
I feel like a dickhead now ;D First I ask for suggestions, then I buy something that was not suggested. Oh well.

Indeed, I had around 10€ spare money, and found out that the store I use for buying CDs have both Halloween and Shining for 10€. I mean one DVD for 10€, of course. Also, other classics were that price. Well, after a little bit of thinking, I ended up buying Shining  :rollseyes: I don't know, it just seems so interesting. If I understood the story right (don't spoil anything  ??? ). I hope it was worth the buying and skipping Halloween. But then again, I will most likely watch this as soon as it arrives..

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2013, 06:41:47 PM »
I dig The Shining but IMO Halloween is a far better movie.

You can't really go wrong with either and they're wildly different.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2013, 09:05:55 PM »
+1
I'm going to knock out as many horror-themed games as I can in October, starting with the Splatterhouse remake. I'd like to play Amnesia or one of the Penumbra games, too, but outside of that I'm not sure what else I might play.

A funny coincidence at my house is that we're slowly gaining a collection of replica skulls...this place in town sells some that they paint themselves, and sells untouched ones for $20 each. I bought a Jokerized one for $40:

And my girlfriend painted all 3 of these:

They really go well with the rest of the decorations we have around the house, and we (well, my girlfriend, mostly) will be painting more. The guy who sells them gave us a misshapen one for free, so I think I'll try my hand at that. I'm thinking of something between Frankenstein's monster and Slayer's album cover for South of Heaven, if that makes sense. Not sure what I'll end up doing, though.

Also coincidentally, I've been on a horrorpunk kick lately...namely the Serpenteens and the Crimson Ghosts, for what it's worth.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 09:08:29 PM by JR »
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2013, 09:31:38 PM »
I'm going to knock out as many horror-themed games as I can in October, starting with the Splatterhouse remake. I'd like to play Amnesia or one of the Penumbra games, too, but outside of that I'm not sure what else I might play.

Even Frankstein for SNES?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2013, 09:57:08 PM »
starting with the Splatterhouse remake.

Maaaan, I gotta get back into that. Really fun game. Makes me think what MadWorld might be like if it were HD (or anything above subpar 480i bullsquit) and had a normal controller with no waggle. This needs to happen.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2013, 06:47:51 AM »
+1
I dig The Shining but IMO Halloween is a far better movie.

You can't really go wrong with either and they're wildly different.

I'm not a Stephen King fan but given the choice between the two I'd pick The Shining TV miniseries. I've heard it put that while The Shining movie let you watch an already insane man go crazy, the mini-series let you watch a sane man descend into madness. Which is much more creepy imo. Though granted the little kid in the miniseries was a lot more annoying.

I'd watch either of them before sitting through Rob Zombies Halloween remake again though.

Speaking of what I've watched, put on Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man last night, classic monster mash fun. When I think about it, it's kind of strange that Hollywood was able to make a movie in 1945 where the main character spends the majority of the movie seeking assisted suicide. Even if he is a werewolf.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 06:49:28 AM by Ratty »

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2013, 08:28:29 AM »
@Ratty-  yes. I couldn't help but think while watching Kubrick's The Shining, hey is Jack supposed to go insane at the end? 'cus he seems damn crazy from the very beginning. I mean look at how calm he looks while he's told about the slaughter that happened in the hotel, and then smiles and jokes about it.   

"The Shining" job interview scene (Dir. Kubrick)

"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2013, 06:43:20 PM »
+1
Maybe I should just get off my butt and make that Shredder Costume I always wanted?
"Stuff and things."

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2013, 06:48:12 PM »
Maybe I should just get off my butt and make that Shredder Costume I always wanted?

Sounds like a good idea to me. Especially if you could get some friends to dress up as Bebop/Rocksteady/Foot Clan soldiers.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2013, 07:11:37 PM »
I might be able to swing an April O'Neil and maybe a Bebop. Of course I'd probably get roped into making their costumes too.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2013, 05:25:45 PM »
I might be able to swing an April O'Neil and maybe a Bebop. Of course I'd probably get roped into making their costumes too.

Any progress?

Tags: