Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: General Metroid Discussion Thread  (Read 12805 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2012, 02:17:36 PM »
The guy in that review brought up a good point that I never considered before, but does solidify that the bigger problem in this script is simply bad writing, is that while it is perfectly acceptable and within character for Samus to freak out at Ridley's appearance, even if we disregard the Primes, she has fought him thrice already, four even, if you count Mecha Ridley.

SO for her to get a PTSD attack this late in the game, if you'll pardon the pun- when she has faced down her root cause and utterly annihilated it several times, doesnt make TOO much sense. At least not THIS bad.

I mean, I would normally make the argument that she was surprised to see him back after Zebes was destroyed, and that seeing him rise almost literally from out of the flames of hell, (must say, the location of the battle, and the way Ridley shows up for it was straight up gold) triggered memories of the massacre she witnessed as a child, but... again, she has faced down her demon numerous times already, and even seemingly dealt with it for good the FIRST time she defeated him, in the metroid manga. I get that in keeping with the idea of a narrative driven Metroid game they really wanted to allude to the Manga and Samus issue with Ridley, but it feels like it was a little bit late in the series to try that. At least a better explanation or better scenario, better explanation, (Ridley initially doesnt affect her but suddenly she begins to have flashbacks about the massacre of the colony, what witht he fire and smoke and all that shit and she falters... that sort of thing) would have worked better.

Oh Also.

"Zebesian".

No, that is not a Zebesian, Samus. That is a Zebesian Space Pirate maybe, but not a "Zebesian".

Back to the manga, and Adam for a bit also- Thats another thing the manga seems to have done better. The portrayal of Adam.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Fofa

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 01:59:44 PM »
I think a part of the problem with Other M is that Sakamoto was keeping the development of the game to how he wanted it to be at all costs. He recognized the problems with the control scheme, but kept it anyway. He directed the localization, even though he wasn't a native English speaker, in particular for Samus's dull voice in an attempt for the "worn down veteran" characterization, and I think we all know about the story, which feels like either no one proofread it or he ignored the criticisms if it had been proofread.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 06:46:45 PM »
I think Metroid: other M should've been one of the few games that Nintendo of America should have rewritten rather then translated. I think it would have been much better then what was given.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: General Metroid Discussion Thread
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 09:20:19 PM »
I think Metroid: other M should've been one of the few games that Nintendo of America should have rewritten rather then translated. I think it would have been much better then what was given.
Yeah.  The gameplay was great, but the script sucked.  All Samus does is brood over the past.  It just made her seem weak and flat.  She is suppose to be a hardened bounty hunter; not some whinny, weak, broody, bitch.  I can see her thinking back on the battle with Mother Brain and the death of "the baby" in the opening cutscene.  I can also see her being frozen in fear when she encounters Ridley.  After all, she killed him on Zebes and yet, here he is in a dark room and the only light is coming from the magma filling the room.  It's like a monster came from your past rose from the dead.  One that won't stay dead.  Plus, he killed her parents.  It's understandable that she would freeze up like that.  And, I can see her getting emotional when Adam goes to sacrifice himself.   But, other than those 3 times, she should have been firm and maybe a little detached emotionally. 
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »
(click to show/hide)

WTF? He didnt even is angry about that? I remembered of it now, and thinking about that we have 2 Samus in this game, not 1. We have a "robot" Samus without feelings and we have a "Mother" Samus, thats fragile because the baby is killed.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2012, 09:57:08 PM »
Quick question about the SA-X: Why is it so blasted stupid?
Metroid Fusion: SA-X is smart?
Metroid Fusion: STILL MESSING WITH SA-X
SA-X is dumb (NO CHEATCODES)
The stupid SA-X
Seriously, I think I've seen smarter MGS guards. >_>
Also, anyone got any good arrangements of Serris-X's battle theme besides the Net Mission one? That one can't be the only good one.

To funny +1 Vlad

Edit other m was not that bad , but this time i would say that I understand the complaints from fellow fans. If the story were origin based like it was her very first time I think it would be understandable, but it's right after super metroid three games after Samus fought all these guys and pounded them into plasma heck.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:05:39 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2012, 09:59:29 AM »
Also, anyone got any good arrangements of Serris-X's battle theme besides the Net Mission one? That one can't be the only good one.

Couldn't you just download the soundtrack? That's what I did. I've also gotten a hold of some midi versions which are also quite good. 'Video Game Music archives' if you're interested. However if you are feeling really industrious then you can simply record the tune from a GBA emulator.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2012, 04:05:17 PM »
I was asking for arrangements/remixes, not rips.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2012, 12:19:22 AM »
I was asking for arrangements/remixes, not rips.

Okay, my bad  :P I'm sure you've already checked Overclocked remixes though.

-UPDATE-

Just thought I'd throw this your guy's way. It's a Super Metroid Hack trailer titled Super Metroid: Eris. With the Prometheus trailer music added into it I find it makes a great combo. Here it is:

Eris 2012

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:55:45 PM by X »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2012, 07:47:43 PM »
 Thats pretty cool, I only doesnt know if the name Eris have a meaning in this game, but I should heck it when they launch the hack (if I dont forget it)
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2012, 08:37:32 PM »
Eris is the name of the planet that this particular hack takes place on. You can find out more by going here:

http://www.digital-mantra.com/eris/

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2012, 05:43:50 AM »
Thanks, I didnt knew that they have already launched this hack :)
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

anything