Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: My computer died! Hope I can get my CV Engine back :(  (Read 2372 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
My computer died! Hope I can get my CV Engine back :(
« on: November 21, 2011, 08:18:05 AM »
I reboot my computer last night to free up memory and when it got to the Windows startup screen, I got the Blue Screen of Death!! "Unmountable_Boot_Drive" error. I hope it's something as simple as a dislodged hard drive (yeah, 30 screws is simple...) and not something like a bad virus that erased my hard drive in essence. I've been working on my engine for the last 2 weeks almost every day and making some real progress (in my definition of progress). It was on the verge of a second build (I was going to upload it as version 0.32) and now I can't even access it! Oh God, I hope it's not all lost!! No way I can rememb er what all I've done to the engine since the last upload! Two weeks straight of debugging gone!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!! I don't have one of those little things that let you plug a jacked up laptop hard drive into a normal computer either. Those things are pricey...

Oh God oh God oh God oh God please give me even a sliver of light today! Today sucks...This is gonna be a long 10 hour shift at work...........  :'(
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: My computer died! Hope I can get my CV Engine back :(
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 09:01:02 AM »
And this, kids, is why you should backup important works in progress on a portable hard drive.
Still, I do hope that it's just a dislodged hard drive since your CV Engine will improve the quality of future fangames if used correctly.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 09:43:22 AM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 09:17:01 AM »
Ooh, I've gotten that.
Though you can sometimes repair that error either with a WindowsXP CD and accessing "Recovery Console", just to be safe, if you have another computer, mount it to a USB enclosure and see if you can access it that way, and then back up the files.

The unmountable boot volume is a file system error.  I'm not sure what causes it.  Could be a bad 40-pin old ribbon cable, or it can be Windows (or a virus) messing up the file system table.  There's a small chance that if you access the drive such that it's not the Windows main drive, but rather as a secondary drive (like how I said before, with an usb enclosure on another computer) that the error will either not manifest, or you will have some rudimentary file access.

Back up your stuff!  z0mg!
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 06:19:45 PM »
I did back it up! ... 3 or so weeks ago in version 0.3 ...  :'(
I was trying to use my old Dell for backing stuff up, but the fan is dead so it's unreliable.

*sniffles*

"Unmountable_boot_volume" same error every time.
-tries googling the whole error-

UPDATE EDIT:

*kisses Recovery Disk*
I love you DOS!  :-*
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 07:31:17 PM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 11:15:21 PM »
Did the DOS thing work? Yaaaay :D

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 10:08:12 PM »
this is why you back up your shit online

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Waffles are pretty great
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 12:31:34 AM »
I hate that. You spend all that time, for *poof*

Tags: