Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Super Castlevania 3 Project--Progress Report  (Read 188956 times)

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
Re: Super Castlevania 3 Project--Progress Report
« Reply #225 on: May 07, 2014, 09:17:20 PM »
Not sure how we are going to do that..because it's all coded in the same..both for sypha hair and sypha hoody. I'll probalby just change the codes frame amount..so it will fit with both. I plan on the two sypha's having vast differrnces..Not that they dont already. As for sypha's item crash..funny you should bring that up. I am thinking of using Charlotte's sigils(pentagrams) for her various moves..probably on item crash though. Orange for her flame item crash..,green for her ice shards, blue for ice crystals..and off blue white for her lightning orb attack.. I talked to Retro on that..if i can add it in i will..i'll have to see how it looks..

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #226 on: May 08, 2014, 05:26:42 AM »
Maybe I'm a little confused or I need to read back more on this thread, but why would taking her hood off makes sypha vastly different? That just seems silly. She would still move the same and be the same person. It's just a hood.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #227 on: May 08, 2014, 12:03:41 PM »
I think he means from a game play point of view the 2 versions of her are being programmed to be different by choice, not that there is a logical reason why they should be different.
"Stuff and things."

Offline TheRetroArtist

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #228 on: May 08, 2014, 01:00:54 PM »
Maybe I'm a little confused or I need to read back more on this thread, but why would taking her hood off makes sypha vastly different? That just seems silly. She would still move the same and be the same person. It's just a hood.
Sypha will still have the same moves, with or without hood. They're just going to be different skins if that makes sense. But other than the sprite changes, there won't be that much of a difference.

Offline reiko26

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #229 on: May 08, 2014, 01:37:26 PM »
Sypha will still have the same moves, with or without hood. They're just going to be different skins if that makes sense. But other than the sprite changes, there won't be that much of a difference.

i. agree with retro. imho it doeant make sense to make both versions move different. after all its just hooded and no hood sypha. imho its a waste of time. time we could spend on something to move the game forward and close to getting a beta out. bit its whatever. i just feel from my perspective that its a waste and not necessary.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #230 on: May 08, 2014, 03:01:12 PM »
imho its a waste of time. time we could spend on something to move the game forward and close to getting a beta out. bit its whatever. i just feel from my perspective that its a waste and not necessary.

Being a guy who is also working on a game, I would have to agree. I would consider something like a hooded and no hooded version of Sypha to be a big waste of my time.

I guess maybe it's different when you are using mostly ripped graphics. But man...

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #231 on: May 08, 2014, 04:09:29 PM »
No the sypha's won't need to be coded differntly..it will remain the same.. The skins..well i can keep them the same..but then again..why? Let me elaborate. For one thing..[variety]..i find it a dull roar not to have it. I will try a few things and if they dont' work i'll just leave them be. If ideas pop into mind and something looks more suitable on one version than another i'll chance it.. After all it's "EPIC" we're seeking here. Not  looking to just slap something together for the sake of completing soemthing.... It's why you see me making tweaks from time to time. I'd prefer things "stand out", as if to say i could leave things more bare boned,..but wont' budge. Sometimes it's what you dont' see that can impress. I realize to make things great you must go above and beyond at times..even to the point of relentless pursuit. Sorry it's passion guys..gonna try whatever looks and feels right.. I still got the old skin sets..so no worries..worse comes to worse i'll just pop them back into place..

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #232 on: May 08, 2014, 05:53:18 PM »
+1
Sounds cool Las!

Only you will know what is truly productive for your game!

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #233 on: May 08, 2014, 06:57:27 PM »
+1
If you guys need any help with the hoodless Sypha sprites, just let me know. Id love to help this project in any way possible. Also, do you guys have a planned date for when the next demo comes out?
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline TheRetroArtist

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #234 on: May 08, 2014, 07:36:04 PM »
If you guys need any help with the hoodless Sypha sprites, just let me know. Id love to help this project in any way possible. Also, do you guys have a planned date for when the next demo comes out?
We don't have any specific date yet. I mean there are still some thing that need to be fixed (dracula form 2, cv3 alucard, a few bosses, ect). But yeah if you want to help out with sprites and stuff I'm totally cool with that.

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #235 on: May 08, 2014, 08:43:47 PM »
Hey ZeroSaberGreen! Thanks for the offer! I will pm you and from their we can discuss more. Sound cool?

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #236 on: May 09, 2014, 01:35:31 PM »
Little details and thoughtful tweaks are what makes games memorable. Especially remakes, revisions, and redesigns. ;)
"Stuff and things."

Offline reiko26

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #237 on: May 09, 2014, 08:18:05 PM »
Little details and thoughtful tweaks are what makes games memorable. Especially remakes, revisions, and redesigns. ;)

yes, I agree inccubus. @ las, I like the tower fixes you made but we should drop that skeleton with the sword. and the armored skeleton with the flail should 1 be either removed or reworked to look different and his number of hits should be like 3 hits and dead. flying skeletons need spaced out. and the ones that fly straight across screen should be taken out. they didnt have that movement in the original. its kool and all but that causes them to be over saturated for that level.

@ ZeroSaberGreen, we'd love to have you on board helping with spriting. we still have a little to do. thanks bud, we could use some good help in the spriting department.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 08:21:13 PM by reiko26 »

Offline TheRetroArtist

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #238 on: May 10, 2014, 05:09:39 AM »
@ las, I like the tower fixes you made but we should drop that skeleton with the sword. and the armored skeleton with the flail should 1 be either removed or reworked to look different and his number of hits should be like 3 hits and dead. flying skeletons need spaced out. and the ones that fly straight across screen should be taken out. they didnt have that movement in the original. its kool and all but that causes them to be over saturated for that level.

I don't know. I actually want to keep the extra enemies (and I'm not saying that because I made them lol). I mean I understand keeping it cannon, though I think it would be good to give it a bit more of a challenge. The skeleton flail could have less health than he does now and if you want to redesign him, I would be ok with that depending on how it looks.

Also for the flying skeletons I plan on changing it's movement. Las has been talking to me about that so I should get around to doing that soon lol.

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #239 on: May 10, 2014, 08:47:14 AM »
Well..here's my take on it. Where as i think it is a great idea to keep Cv3 as canon as possible..their are areas of the old game..in which i feel had been redundant,more or less repeating, wtih the same enemies/bosses,traps. Plausibly i think it makes a bit more sense to make a remake/revamp because adding in more elements, so long as they fit, maybe a good thing..to much and it becomes a bad thing. I am all for keeping in the regular enemies mainly..but adding in a few new ones here and their for more of a challenge(the pirates in ghosthip are a great example of that. Another good exaple retro and i have talked about is cave trolls in cave areas.. Stuff that makes sense. Possibly a wak wak tree in a forested area.

Where as i dont think the game should stray far from the original on terms of design..i do think thinks can be added to help with the eye candy as well as difficulty of the game. 

As for what retro said..we are trying to keep the lore of vania strongly in place..so yes..though the flying skeleton's pattern is just a plain medusa one..eventually we'll fix that.  8) 8)

Tags:

anything