Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Super Castlevania 3 Project--Progress Report  (Read 188968 times)

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
Re: Super Castlevania 3 Project--Progress Report
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2013, 05:35:44 PM »
K, yeah they are pretty similar to the nes version. About the dropbox, yeah i found you can click on the vid once it's in dropbox,right click and copy the link. Then paste wherever. Works ok i guess.

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2013, 04:27:52 AM »
Las its looking great dude!  Keep it up! 8)
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2013, 06:58:23 PM »
Thanks! Yeah LC deserves the credit on orphic vipers though!

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2013, 10:18:19 PM »
hey guys felt i would put up 3 videos of re-enhanced levels. Revamps more or less. Very much not done with any of them. I felt at least the need to show a little of what myself and LC had been up too. So here's further tweaks on Castle Keep, Castlebridge, and Ghosthip. Noteably the ghosthip has seen the most action in terms of revamps. But i did some custom work in Castle keep aswell.

The castle keep i'm still looking to make rooms 1,3,4 extensively larger with possibly boobie traps in them. Also a better layout than previous and even what i have thus far perhaps. The frame in drac'ls room is supposed to be for a mirror effect. I may or may not pull out the cc picture in rm5 and make that a long mirror. it may be neat! Also ignore the old rushing water as i may pull it. Depends. But i meant to pull it from video.

The castlebridge i felt the nature of the tiles was a much better selection and i darkened some areas(re-palleting most) and added in different backdrops which i felt would be more benificial for the level overall. Ignore the orphic fight. It still has to be tweaked.

With the ghosthip i damn near cleaned house on it. I am still far from done on terms of what i think i can acheive with it. As i do wanna add a second background in areas where i feel it may be needed. Plus the emergence of crashing waves and a rippling water effect may be nice. The rain may change to suit a more ds approach, yet at that same time hopefully gust with the wind aswell. One fella mentioned the player being brushed back by the wind in outdoor areas. It would be nice, but all of this code could potentially slow the level down to a crawl. Too many sails in one area is already problematic. Well hope you enjoy the progress!

Castle keep revamp
Super Castlevania 3 Fan Game - Castle Keep Update Revamp

Castle bridge revamp
Super Castlevania 3 Fan game - Castle Bridge Revamp

Ghosthip Revamp(with wind guided sails courtesy of LC)
Super Castlevania 3 Fan game: Ghost ship Update Revamp

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2013, 08:53:17 PM »
I regret to have to inform fan gamers,but this game is looking like it will be on hold for a while. I'm uncertain of what road lies ahead for it,but for now i don't think we have code help. I may re-post up for help at yoyo forums in the future. As it currently stands this game is far too complex for me too code. I am just at baby steps of coding. I am however sitting down with tutorials. It maybe sometime before i'm ready to comeback to coding this. Providing my skills levels increase to the point where i can complete it i'll more than likely do so. I"ve had to put HOTN(which i was planning to change the name to Castleavnia:Purge of Chaos) on hold aswell. Obviously this is going to take some time, and this is not the news i want to tell you. I"ve already seen two youtube comments saying don't quit this game, no one yet has made a CV3 full remake yet. But unfortunetly there is little i can currently do. The most i can hope to acheive at my current status is too continue to re-enhance the levels. Which even their i feel my creativity slips a bit at times. Bottome line is i really did not want to just throw the game out their but to make it look really nice before doing so. With that being said, i could put out a demo(chalk full of errors but atleast playable), but i doubt it would do the game justice.

Issues with a demo(if i do put it out)
-loading issues cause an external error, this makes the sounds(bgm and sound fx's)unplayable.
-to start the game the external error will happen but you have to hit ignore with the enter key about 50 times(just hold it down). Then the game will run but obviously no sound or fx's.
-many features that were meant as secrets will now be exposed.
-some areas weren't finished so they may be unaccessable without the use of alucard's flying abilities(example- the pendulum's in castle keep).
-Though we had stairs with moving the players automatically, i haven't yet sat down to get that part working yet. So the players can move room to room, but this will not be moved automatically yet.
-Most if not all rooms with shifting doors work, swamp stage may have had a room or two that gets stuck i forgot to fix.
-sometimes if the game is started in windowed mode it may occasionally freeze.
-i didn't finish externalizing many levels, and there is at least one reason. I had every intention of going back to resoop many of them up.

Well ok guys sorry to deliver this news. If we can get solid code help i'm all for completing it. But i myself, feel it's time to sit down and really learn code myself. If anyone wants to take a poll and vote for a demo that's fine(though it has issues) that's fine. Otherwise it'll be on hold.

Once again my apologies, this isn't the news i wanted to deliever,but i have little choice in the matter. Thanks for understanding. -Laslund-
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 08:56:52 PM by Las »

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2013, 01:00:28 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that, but since you have reached your limit, it's better to stay and wait for some help and finish it later, than canceled the project once and for all. I wish you the best luck.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2013, 06:54:47 AM »
Dont give up Las!  Dude, i felt like i could've thrown my laptop through the window when my HDD crashed, and i was as far completed as the Courtyard the beginning of this year!  But, by starting over and keeping a positive attitude my new version just craps all over the first one a did.  All Im saying is, take your time and make sure you still have fun with it.  Coding definitely sucks when you go through the learning curve, but once you clear it it is really cool to see how you can make your game come to life!  Keep at it dude!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2013, 09:53:19 AM »
BMC_War Machine's right. Don't lose heart when you hit a stumbling block (or two). Just take your time and learn as you go. It's not like you're on a company's tight schedule where you must deliver the finished product on time. It's your time. You have all the time in the world even if it doesn't seem like it. Just do what you can and finish your project when you can. You said that you're still learning this stuff so it's to be expected that you will hit several roadblocks on the way to your goal. Just don't give up.  ;)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2013, 12:22:28 PM »
I'm sorry to hear the news, Las. Some days my project seems very intimidating, so I know the feeling. It's your decision to release the demo, but I see no reason to expose secret features  of your game if the project will be on hold for a while.

The last week, I had the same loading issue you are having (had to press ignore like 20 times to run the game). The problem was some .dlls (for playing .ogg files) were missing. Moving those .dlls to the game folder fixed the issue for me

Don't give up, Las.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:27:00 PM by kaonstantine »

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2013, 01:22:04 PM »
I regret to have to inform fan gamers,but this game is looking like it will be on hold for a while. I'm uncertain of what road lies ahead for it,but for now i don't think we have code help. I may re-post up for help at yoyo forums in the future. As it currently stands this game is far too complex for me too code. I am just at baby steps of coding. I am however sitting down with tutorials. It maybe sometime before i'm ready to comeback to coding this. Providing my skills levels increase to the point where i can complete it i'll more than likely do so. I"ve had to put HOTN(which i was planning to change the name to Castleavnia:Purge of Chaos) on hold aswell. Obviously this is going to take some time, and this is not the news i want to tell you. I"ve already seen two youtube comments saying don't quit this game, no one yet has made a CV3 full remake yet. But unfortunetly there is little i can currently do. The most i can hope to acheive at my current status is too continue to re-enhance the levels. Which even their i feel my creativity slips a bit at times. Bottome line is i really did not want to just throw the game out their but to make it look really nice before doing so. With that being said, i could put out a demo(chalk full of errors but atleast playable), but i doubt it would do the game justice.

Issues with a demo(if i do put it out)
-loading issues cause an external error, this makes the sounds(bgm and sound fx's)unplayable.
-to start the game the external error will happen but you have to hit ignore with the enter key about 50 times(just hold it down). Then the game will run but obviously no sound or fx's.
-many features that were meant as secrets will now be exposed.
-some areas weren't finished so they may be unaccessable without the use of alucard's flying abilities(example- the pendulum's in castle keep).
-Though we had stairs with moving the players automatically, i haven't yet sat down to get that part working yet. So the players can move room to room, but this will not be moved automatically yet.
-Most if not all rooms with shifting doors work, swamp stage may have had a room or two that gets stuck i forgot to fix.
-sometimes if the game is started in windowed mode it may occasionally freeze.
-i didn't finish externalizing many levels, and there is at least one reason. I had every intention of going back to resoop many of them up.

Well ok guys sorry to deliver this news. If we can get solid code help i'm all for completing it. But i myself, feel it's time to sit down and really learn code myself. If anyone wants to take a poll and vote for a demo that's fine(though it has issues) that's fine. Otherwise it'll be on hold.

Once again my apologies, this isn't the news i wanted to deliever,but i have little choice in the matter. Thanks for understanding. -Laslund-
Sorry to here that Las. It was shaping up to be pretty sweet. I wouldn't put out a "half @$$" demo (no offense) because people will just be nitpicking on every little thing. It looks like you just have to wait man. The project is not dead just on hold. I can relate to the frustration you are feeling dude. At least you are being productive and starting to learn to code yourself. At that rate eventually you will be able to look back at yourself in past tense remembering when you couldn't code a lick...

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2013, 04:51:26 PM »
Hey thanks for the comments guys! Yeah im not saying i'm quitting. It's just alot to deal with right now. It'll take a while to learn how to code and really well,which is what i'll need to complete this project. Obreck and others' coding is just far too advanced for me at this time. So i really need to start from scratch engines to work my way forward. It's so debatable wether to finish the levels(because many need massive re-hashing) or to learn code. I"m just torn between the two. The only thing is by learning code i can rely soley on myself for getting the game completely coded. It will take a long time eitehr way. And though it's been over 3 yrs  i feel if i don't learn now it may take even longer than anticipated. Yeah i  know the levels will take a long time to get very nice. For now i think i'll just focus on coding. When i learn enough of what i'm doing and feel very comfortable i'll probalby jump back on SCV3. With the game coded all in, all i'll have to do is focus on finishing the levels. And yeah believe me i'd rather not put out a demo yet. I think theirs way too much that would be exposed. Well ok guys i'll post back up if theirs progress in the near future. I do also have a much more revamped(larger version) of castle keep. I think it's much more fitting that what i had before.  8) 8) 8)

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2013, 04:22:53 AM »
Split it in half dude, do 1 level's worth of coding, then work on the next stage layout.  It will keep the frustration of the coding down and keep you from getting burned out.  I've already done the stages so i dont have that to fall back on haha but i do still have a few songs that need redone/done so that's my break  8)

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2013, 10:05:57 PM »
Ok so i'm back again guys! I've recently been tweaking this and that on the levels and keeping at SCV3. I figure to at the very least get all the levels done to my liking and then focus on code work or something in that facinity. Either way i plan to make some of the levels a bit larger in general. In this case i took the main hall and Castle keep and revamped them further. I just felt they had to be more spacious. Also in the main hall i knocked down some walls,putting in backgrounds. I may do the eyeball thingy in the window for another levels perhaps. When i sit down to learn code i will probably focus heavily on a number of elements,key unlockable, and various traps. Bit by bit i plan on revamping several levels including:clocktower,warikiya,inner halls,tower, and possibly the 3 alucard caves. Next i will be externalizing these two.Well i do hope you enjoy! Here are the 2 latest updates(much differnent):

Main Hall& Armory further revamp(larger)
Super Castlevania 3_Fan game Project_Main Hall Way Revamp(larger)

Castle Keep revamp(larger)
Super Castlevania 3 Fan Game Project_Castle Keep Revamp(Larger)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 12:55:51 AM by Las »

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2013, 12:56:57 AM »
BTW Here's CV3 Alucard sheet near completion. Been sitting for while and i still have yet to fix his stairs walk. But overall i'm feeling pretty content.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2013, 12:13:58 PM »
BTW Here's CV3 Alucard sheet near completion. Been sitting for while and i still have yet to fix his stairs walk. But overall i'm feeling pretty content.
Digging that waayy more than the one that is a placeholder in their now. The levels seemed even more polished my only gripe is that it seems, especially in your Castle Keep area that there are too many of the same type of statues in the parallax in the outside area, just too many in general and the same color as the foreground areas. They make it kinda hard on the eyes...other than that looks nice! I would also add some separate swinging animation to the chandeliers.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 12:17:53 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Tags: