Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "Castletoria" - In Development!  (Read 137751 times)

Offline Zuljaras

• Castletoria (Game Project)
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« on: January 05, 2013, 03:48:48 AM »
+2
Hello everyone!!!

Currently I am trying to make a game like the rpg Castlevanias where the player explores the castle and advances through the many areas. I am developing it with Game Maker 8.1 and I am drawing everything in the game with MS Paint and Paint.net. I am big Castlevania fan, however in my game the main enemy will not be our beloved Count Dracula and the Belmont clan will not be present, but the inspiration to work on this project is all behing the Castlevania series.

Follow the other pages of the thread to see the updates :)

Castle of Nightmares - Part 8!

LINK TO THE NEW VERSION - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzRohquxGIULTnRfaHYyb2NhamM

Any comments and suggestions are welcome :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 10:07:25 PM by Zuljaras »
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 04:05:38 AM »
You said MSPaint, so I was expecting something bad. These graphics surpassed my expectations incredibly. The graphics actually look really neat-o! I almost commented about the animations, but then I realized the game kind of adopts this awesome cartoony feel, something that we haven't seen done well in vampire lore since the 90's. It looks awesome, keep up the good work!

The only complaint I have is that the menu icons use a generic text that isn't outlined, and the text doesn't stick out. You should modify the text on them to match more with the text that states your level, or at least recolor the text on them so that it doesn't blend in so much with the graphic. There's also the fact the character walks pretty slow, but it's something I could get used to. The low range of his attacking isn't really an issue due to the fact I'm guessing it's a lower leveled weapon, and higher-leveled weapons have more range. (am I right?)

I can't really comment on sound (if there is any) since my speakers are off, and its kinda late. So I'll get back to that later.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 04:26:54 AM »
There is no sound at the moment. This is still in the very beginning of the game. And yes the range of the weapons will be different. As for the text ... I really should change that into something more appealing to the eye.

As for the drawing, well people usually respond with negative things when they see MS paint involved :D
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 04:32:12 AM »
There is no sound at the moment. This is still in the very beginning of the game. And yes the range of the weapons will be different. As for the text ... I really should change that into something more appealing to the eye.

As for the drawing, well people usually respond with negative things when they see MS paint involved :D

Yeah, the text is the only major problem. It's funny that I expect bad with MS Paint, yet I still use it to make sprites. And the fact that Thaddeus also makes extremely good sprites using it makes me wonder why I still question it. X)
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 04:50:17 AM »
When people open the menu to look at their status, the HP is usually displayed as current HP/max HP instead of the other way around. You might want to change yours so as not to confuse people.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 05:30:57 AM »
Very nice. This has a lot of potential. I look forward to seeing more.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 05:45:47 AM »
When people open the menu to look at their status, the HP is usually displayed as current HP/max HP instead of the other way around. You might want to change yours so as not to confuse people.

Thank you! Point taken I will change that :)

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 02:03:02 PM »
Very nice Zuljaras!. I really dig it so far. Gotta hand it to you doing a nice job on the zombie boss. I like the fact you are coming up with boss Ai concepts like that having to push his cart so he don't squish you, and having to attack him while avoiding his punches. Yeah defeintly dig this! Like how you have the inventory hp system set up. Also it will be neat to view enemies/bosses you have fought. I'm trying to work something similar into a game i'm doing aswell. Very cool,keep up the good work! 8) 8) 8)

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 03:01:30 PM »
Yeah, the text is the only major problem. It's funny that I expect bad with MS Paint, yet I still use it to make sprites. And the fact that Thaddeus also makes extremely good sprites using it makes me wonder why I still question it. X)

You could try GIMP since it's free and it's similar to photoshop to give you a bit more control. I use MS Paint every now and then as well, but no matter what paint program you use it's all about the artist. Thaddeus is just a good artist. Simple as that..

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Darth Cariss

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 12:27:59 AM »
Looks pretty good, I like your boss design. I'd say the main character seems to move a bit too slowly, but that's just a preference thing. I like your death animations for the creatures. Nice job.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 02:49:04 PM »
I am VERY FOND of the graphics, and I'll tell you why:

-They give the game an old "Amiga" feel, like those older PC titles.  I miss those types of retro designs.
-I'm fond of the character, as he looks like a cross between Haunted Castle Simon Belmont and Vampire Hunter D's titular character, what with the hat and all.
-I dig the animations the enemies have. 

I dig the style of the game and dig the character's walk.  Some things to think about though:
-Your backgrounds should be darker than your foregrounds if they're going to be of similar colors.  The contrast between a background wall and a foreground wall are, right now, too similar (at least in the first room), toning one down or up (down is better) would be a big help.

This game looks like it'll be quite difficult, though! Enemies do not seem to have recoil damage. 

Keep up the good work!
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 03:03:26 PM »
I am VERY FOND of the graphics, and I'll tell you why:

-They give the game an old "Amiga" feel, like those older PC titles.  I miss those types of retro designs.
-I'm fond of the character, as he looks like a cross between Haunted Castle Simon Belmont and Vampire Hunter D's titular character, what with the hat and all.
-I dig the animations the enemies have. 

I dig the style of the game and dig the character's walk.  Some things to think about though:
-Your backgrounds should be darker than your foregrounds if they're going to be of similar colors.  The contrast between a background wall and a foreground wall are, right now, too similar (at least in the first room), toning one down or up (down is better) would be a big help.

This game looks like it'll be quite difficult, though! Enemies do not seem to have recoil damage. 

Keep up the good work!

Thank you! :)
All that you see on the video is at its basic level. The backgrounds were made in literaly 15 mins on MS paint. My goal is to achieve at least 10% of the brilliant graphics on the GBA or at least 5% of the DS titles. As for the character He really looks like "D" but also the main aspect here is Van Hellsing (like in the movie), plus he is that awesome man in the Bram Stoker's Dracula novel :) I just wonder if I could name him Van Hellsing but Im afraid of copyright or trademark laws, have to research on that.
But the main THING in the will be the castle. The castle will be the symbol of power. The story is that the Castle need to have a master who will use its power for good or for evil, therefore many creatures will come rushing when it rises. That gives me the opportunity for new Master villain every time. Plus think of how many sequels I could make with that kind of cheesy plot :D :D :D

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 08:53:14 PM »
Time to "borrow" Alucard's line to Maria about the castle being a creature of chaos, changing its nature as it sees fit.
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 11:56:36 PM »
Time to "borrow" Alucard's line to Maria about the castle being a creature of chaos, changing its nature as it sees fit.

Originally the was called Castle of Chaos but it was trademarked so I chnaged it :) Btw yes Alucard did gave this idea :)

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 01:49:35 PM »
Castle of Nightmares - "Castlevania-like" Game Development Project PART 5

This shows the new attack known from the metroidvanias as the "arc" weapon attack :) And also the loot system.