Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "Castletoria" - In Development!  (Read 137758 times)

Offline Zuljaras

• Castletoria (Game Project)
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Re: "Castle of Nightmares" - Castlevania-Like Project
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2013, 02:16:30 PM »
I have worked on the new look of Castle of Nightmares and those screenshots are taken minutes ago :)
I apologise that I have not finished the background yet (in the castle corridor) but that will be done soon.
This is my NEW tileset and I think it is waaaaay better than the old one :)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I hope you like the new look of the game. Also I will release a video of the whole new first area of the Castle after I remade the first boss and implement the armor items and the accessory items as well the saving rooms and ofc the new backgrounds (I remember to make them darker so there will be more debth to the game ;) ).

Any comments are appreciated!!!
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline PyramidHead

• Vampire Hunter
  • Don't look into the Death Star, or you will die.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2013, 08:36:41 PM »
Everything looks good - I especially like this wooden section. But windows from screenshot 2 doesn't look right to me - IMO they are too "cartoonish". Stars from screenshot 5 are too big and bright.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2013, 09:01:45 PM »
What's with the Old One raping the MP meter? That's been bugging me for a while now.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2013, 11:42:07 PM »
Everything looks good - I especially like this wooden section. But windows from screenshot 2 doesn't look right to me - IMO they are too "cartoonish". Stars from screenshot 5 are too big and bright.

That is because I have not worked on them yet. Those are the first backgrounds right from the start of the game 1 year ago :)

What's with the Old One raping the MP meter? That's been bugging me for a while now.

You mean the tentacle being? Well for me it is a symbol of magic and chaos like Malachi, Cthulu which is combination of magic and darkness. This is why I drew it like that :)
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2013, 08:46:56 AM »
I have been working on the backgrounds and I have made 2.

This one is the outside in the Castle courtyard. It is 3 layered the moon and the night sky and the stars are static, the mountains are moving and the near trees are also moving faster because they are near.

(click to show/hide)

This is the background in the castle entrance and it is darked as you guy suggested.

(click to show/hide)

This is the same background but further in the Castle.

(click to show/hide)

I have also worked on the menu interface and I have made one new item "Leather Armor". I ahve also implemented a defense system to the character so he could receive less damage with higher defense.
It is also final what kind of equipment the character will be able to equip - Weapons, Armor and Accessories.
Each will give different bonuses and stats.
I will not be making complex stat system ... for now the main stats are HP, Attack (damage), Mana, Defense and that is it.

I hope you guys like it. I have to do some more redrawing of the Skeleton enemy and the first boss, then I have to make their entries in the enemy data (in the inventory) and I am finished with the first Castle area.

PS: I also have to do some secret rooms :)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2013, 09:27:14 AM »
Love the graphics, it brings back memories of playing Commander Keen and still 1-ups those Indie eyesores.
Detailed yet somehow cartoon-y, It has its own charm which I like about it, Stick to this direction, its very unique and you do it very well.
I look forward to playing this when it is finished

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2013, 11:46:41 AM »
To tell the truth, it reminds me of the Amiga era.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2013, 12:43:34 PM »
Love the graphics, it brings back memories of playing Commander Keen and still 1-ups those Indie eyesores.
Detailed yet somehow cartoon-y, It has its own charm which I like about it, Stick to this direction, its very unique and you do it very well.
I look forward to playing this when it is finished

Thank you! There is no way to make the game different that what you see here since I try to do everything myself so there won't be different styles from different artists :)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2013, 11:06:15 PM »
Excellent! You've got a nice transition of grays happening there. Such color choices will always help with foreground and background distinctions. Keep it up!  8)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2013, 07:31:17 AM »
This is the official first boss of the game!
He is called Grag - The Lord of Gluttony.

Boss encounter:

After entering his room the boss will not engage the player. After the player is near enough the boss will "activate" and start his attacks.

Boss moves and Abilities:
1. The boss will start moving slowly towards the player any direct impact will result in damage and pushback.
2. The boss will spit ooze from his head and when the ooze hit the ground it will turn into a Fleshling (a minion of the boss) which will walk across the room and be a threat to the player.
3. If the player is close enough an extention with mouths will come out of Grag trying to hit the character. (ducking is the key here!)
4. If the player hit the "cart" of Grag he will be pushed back a little, thus preventing the boss of damaging the hero.

Strategy:
The player needs to hit the cart (this will do no damage to the boss) and hit Grag in order to kill him. The boss health will be displayed in separate health bar when the player enters the room.

This is a picture of the new model of Grag:

In order to create a more "lively" boss design instead of creating boss will one big sprite I have divided the different parts of the boss and made them separate objects that will act on their own (the head, the mouths, the back-mouth, the extra arm for attacking) so they will animate on their own instead of couple of big sprites and everything is drawn on them.

I hope you guys like it!!! :)

Offline Omegasigma

• Director
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2013, 07:46:33 AM »
I just noticed, is the characer's design based off Vampire Hunter D?
Currently Involved in: Vampire blood Chronicals, Project Goldeneye

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2013, 08:04:40 AM »
I just noticed, is the characer's design based off Vampire Hunter D?

Well no. When I designed it I was thinking more of the Van Hellsing movie with Hugh Jackman :) Well D is also awesome :D

Offline PyramidHead

• Vampire Hunter
  • Don't look into the Death Star, or you will die.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2013, 01:03:14 AM »
Love your trees, Zuljaras! ;) Orange moon looks more like Mars, but has a style to it. Also, if now you have two versions of Grag - you can use them both. It would be fun to fight his smaller versions as normal enemies.

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2013, 03:00:05 AM »
Love your trees, Zuljaras! ;) Orange moon looks more like Mars, but has a style to it. Also, if now you have two versions of Grag - you can use them both. It would be fun to fight his smaller versions as normal enemies.

Actually that little Grag will not be seen again in the game :D His sprite is just tooooo BAD. I have added so much animation to the new Grag and I played a little with his death animation and now he spits blood and skulls like crazy. I need to finish the inventory look because right now it is a little bit bright, then I will draw a new skeleton model because the current one is bad. I will add a little sound effects like sword hits and sounds because they are FREE on the Internet.

After that I just can't wait to show you the video of the complete first area of the game!!!

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2013, 03:19:42 PM »
We can't wait to see it, Zul :)
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

anything