Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "Castletoria" - In Development!  (Read 137751 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 06:09:58 PM »
I've just checked out your videos on this project and I do see lots of untapped potential in it. I agree with Jorge that the backgrounds could be darker to help give the castle more depth and to help bring fourth the foreground graphics. Don't give up and keep at it!  ;)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 06:21:14 PM »
Van Helsing isn't copy protected. Hellsing (or Van Hellsing) is, potentially. Stoker has been dead long past the statute of limitations or some shit. Make him out to be too close to the movie Van Helsing, though, and you're on touchy ground.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Zuljaras

• Castletoria (Game Project)
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 02:50:28 AM »
I've just checked out your videos on this project and I do see lots of untapped potential in it. I agree with Jorge that the backgrounds could be darker to help give the castle more depth and to help bring fourth the foreground graphics. Don't give up and keep at it!  ;)

Oh I will not give up until the game is finished! And if people like it I will work on sequels! For now I am really happy because there are no negative comments like "This sux", "This is terrible" etc.

Now I have alterned the jumping so the longer the "X" button is pressed the longer the jump is.
Also I will take the advices and now I will change the graphics with newer and cleaner ones. The dark background and light foreground. I will also change the custom font :)
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
Re: "Castle of Nightmares" - Castlevania-Like Project
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 01:32:13 AM »
A little update. I work on the complete redesign of the tileset now and this is what I have done so far.

Now I have done 50% of the rest of the game (which is only the first area of the Castle) and then I MUST completely redraw my main character. I will make him face the same way the characters from the GBA and DS games.

BTW I wanted to ask a funny thing about the facing. I noticed that when my character turn and attack he uses his other arm. I though how could I be so stupid and make such mistake. Then I looked at the sprites of the characters in the CV games and most of them have that flaw too. Is that intentional from the designers?

Anyway I would love some feedback because that is the best way to improve!
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 01:58:46 AM »
You mean the sprite mirroring thing? Yeah, most devs do that to save time and effort.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 02:05:38 AM »
You mean the sprite mirroring thing? Yeah, most devs do that to save time and effort.

Then I am definetely going to change that :) Imo those little details give the "pixel art" games a charm :)

EDIT:

This is the new look of the hero :)

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:16:46 AM by Zuljaras »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 06:35:19 AM »
Nice, either that's one bulky coat or he's a buff sonofabitch. Either way, he looks pretty damn badass.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 07:08:56 AM »
Nice, either that's one bulky coat or he's a buff sonofabitch. Either way, he looks pretty damn badass.

Those are shoulderpads with incrusted golden crosses on them. Well it looks like I have to find a way to make them look like they are not part of the coat.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 07:24:36 AM »
If you must, you could give the iron parts a slightly lighter color, move the right arm (his right, BTW) a little closer to the body, and maybe shrink the pads a little bit and raise them by a pixel. That way I think the pads will stand out more and he'll look a bit more slender. Though honestly, I don't mind him as he is right now.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:29:21 AM by VladCT »
^^

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 10:25:02 AM »
Those are shoulderpads with incrusted golden crosses on them. Well it looks like I have to find a way to make them look like they are not part of the coat.

Quick aesthetic question: inverted crosses are (usually) seen as heretical. Is that intentional, given the unknown back-story of the character (just like the Belmonts were feared for their might?
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 11:41:20 AM »
Quick aesthetic question: inverted crosses are (usually) seen as heretical. Is that intentional, given the unknown back-story of the character (just like the Belmonts were feared for their might?

Wow I didn't noticed that :D I changed that in the new version of the character. However there will be not only one religion in the game. I intend to make enemies and bosses from all religions and mythologies. For example I have the idea of boss fight with Anubis in some of the underground levels of the Castle. On the other side of the Castle there would be completely different boss from completely different mythology. This is my idea so I could incorporate many and different fights and background. Hell I also want to make level where to put The Kraken as the boss. The castle might be located on a cliff and at the bottom it could be the osean.

The basic idea is that the Castle is giving the power to all those monsters and each of the bosses have their place in the castle hierarchy.

PS: The "zombie boss" (first boss) will be changed in appearance and I will call him "Grag the Lord of Gluttony" and that is why he is located in the Castle's "kitchen".

Offline PyramidHead

• Vampire Hunter
  • Don't look into the Death Star, or you will die.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 11:29:18 AM »
I definitely want to play this game when it's finished. Old looking graphics, metroidvania-like gameplay, classic concept of different creatures from around the world - just great! Now, you need to start looking for composer.
Is Van Helsing the only character who can talk? What about secret locations, breakable walls or something, easter eggs? Good game must have some. :)

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 12:19:56 PM »
I definitely want to play this game when it's finished. Old looking graphics, metroidvania-like gameplay, classic concept of different creatures from around the world - just great! Now, you need to start looking for composer.
Is Van Helsing the only character who can talk? What about secret locations, breakable walls or something, easter eggs? Good game must have some. :)

Ofc! Secret areas is a MUST!!! I will try to make cool easter eggs too. However I do not have the money for good composers and this will be the last thing on my list :) Also the talking is not yet clear to me because the game is pretty straight forward, however I will work on that too.

PS: Soon I will also post some concept art of the character and of some of the monsters :) It will be pretty funny.

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 05:43:43 AM »
I have made the Character walking animation ... this is not the best sprite but it is the first more complex I have drawn. At least is not 3 frames like the poor Nathan :D

I hope it is OK with the moderators that I upload this thread regularly :)

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »
I have to say the sprite animation looks great, I don't see why you are worried :P
Looking to seeing more stuff

anything